Management Studies 2022-23
Bangor University International College (Department)
Module - Semester 1 & 2
The main topics covered are:
a) Types of business, ownership and organisation; starting a business and the ways in which a business may be financed
b) Defining and classifying business organisations, contrasting and comparing organisations in the private, public and not-for-profit sectors
c) Issues around business ethics, corporate social responsibility and sustainability
d) Roles and function of management; various approaches to and styles of management and development of different theories of management
e) Organisational structures, strategic planning, financial and quality control
-threshold -Grade DStudent has demonstrated sufficient understanding and knowledge of the topics studied to achieve the lowest level of pass which secures progression onto an undergraduate degree programme.
-good -Grade BStudent has shown a sound basic knowledge of most aspects of the materials and issues studied and has achieved a high enough grade overall to have shown clear suitability for study at undergraduate level.
-excellent -Grade AStudent has engaged thoroughly with all aspects of the topics studied and has achieved a strong overall grade which demonstrates a high level of suitability for undergraduate study.
- Demonstrate an understanding around the responsibilities of business and of the need for responsible behaviour
- Demonstrate an understanding of business types and of financing a business
- Demonstrate an understanding of the challenges facing contemporary businesses and their leaders
- Explain different functions of management in terms of strategic planning, efficiency and the maintenance of high quality and standards of product and service
- Explain the different types of businesses and of the ways in which businesses are run
Students submit a report based on contemporary situation encountered by businesses, showing the challenges faced and the mechanisms businesses have to enable them to respond to these.
Exam (Centrally Scheduled)
An interim test consisting of short answer questions covering the material covered in the module up to the midterm point.