Computer Systems (Cambria) 2023-24
School Of Computer Science And Electronic Engineering
Module - Semester 1
David Edward Perkins
Indicative content includes:
- Overview of computer systems: identification, purpose and functionality of key components and computer architecture
- Memory concept and functionality, types of and protected and virtual aspects
- Data representation, in memory, numbering systems and consideration of data transfer rates
- Overview, identification and functionality of key types of I/O to include peripherals
Overview of connectivity to include internal buses (PCI), external buses (USB) and networking (ADSL, Ethernet etc.)
- Overview of operating systems: identification, purpose and functionality of key components within a modern operating systems and the use of Microsoft OS and Linux as exemplars.
- Resource Management and concept of sharing
- Device Management to include device drivers, dumb and smart peripherals
- Memory Management including virtual memory and addressing
- File Management for local and remote files
- Analyse how elements of a system meet system or user requirements.
- Describe key principles and concepts of Computer Systems.
- Identify and summarise hardware architectures.