Intro' to Media Practice
Run by School of Arts, Culture and Language
20.000 Credits or 10.000 ECTS Credits
Organiser: Mr Huw Powell
Overall aims and purpose
The aim of this course is to provide students with an introduction to media practice. Students will be given basic tuition in the use of video and audio production equipment. Working in small groups, students will be expected to produce two pieces of creative work; one video, one audio. Students will then be expected to reflect critically upon the production process, and the final pieces of work, making reference to a body of theory. This module provides tuition and practical experience in two aspects of media production: single camera production with editing, and radio production. Students will participate in group set exercises before creating their own original programme, as well as writing a critical analysis of each work.
This course will introduce students to the basic skills and techniques which will enable them to explore the principles of media production through creative work. Students will work in groups to produce two short media texts, using broadcast standard equipment. Students will also be taught how to analyse their own work within the context of theory, and to establish a relationship between media production theory and practice.
Submitted work is adequate and shows an acceptable level of competence as follows:
- Generally accurate but with omissions and errors.
- Assertions are made without clear supporting evidence or reasoning.
- Has structure but is lacking in clarity and therefore relies on the reader to make links and assumptions.
- Draws on a relatively narrow range of material.
Submitted work is of an outstanding quality and excellent in one or more of the following ways:
- Has originality of exposition with the student's own thinking being readily apparent.
- Provides clear evidence of extensive and relevant independent study.
- Arguments are laid down with clarity and provide the reader with successive stages of consideration to reach conclusions.
Submitted work is competent throughout and occasionally distinguished by superior style, approach and choice of supporting materials. It demonstrates:
- Good structure and logically developed arguments.
- At least in parts draws on material that has been sourced and assessed as a result of independent study, or in a way unique to the student.
- Assertions are, in the main, backed by evidence and sound reasoning.
- Accuracy and presentation in an appropriate academic style.
Very Good (60%+)
Submitted work is competent throughout and distinguished by superior style, approach and choice of supporting materials. It demonstrates:
- Very good structure and logically developed arguments.
- Draws on material that has been sourced and assessed as a result of independent study, or in a way unique to the student.
- Assertions are backed by evidence and sound reasoning.
- Accuracy and presentation in an appropriate academic style.
Demonstrate an understanding of the processes by which media texts are produced.
Demonstrate basic technical skill in one aspect of a group media production.
Critically examine the process of media production in relation to media production theory.
Demonstrate the ability to work as part of a production team.
Teaching and Learning Strategy
Workshop, 3 hours per week
- Literacy - Proficiency in reading and writing through a variety of media
- Numeracy - Proficiency in using numbers at appropriate levels of accuracy
- Computer Literacy - Proficiency in using a varied range of computer software
- Self-Management - Able to work unsupervised in an efficient, punctual and structured manner. To examine the outcomes of tasks and events, and judge levels of quality and importance
- Exploring - Able to investigate, research and consider alternatives
- Information retrieval - Able to access different and multiple sources of information
- Inter-personal - Able to question, actively listen, examine given answers and interact sensitevely with others
- Critical analysis & Problem Solving - Able to deconstruct and analyse problems or complex situations. To find solutions to problems through analyses and exploration of all possibilities using appropriate methods, rescources and creativity.
- Safety-Consciousness - Having an awareness of your immediate environment, and confidence in adhering to health and safety regulations
- Teamwork - Able to constructively cooperate with others on a common task, and/or be part of a day-to-day working team
- Self-awareness & Reflectivity - Having an awareness of your own strengths, weaknesses, aims and objectives. Able to regularly review, evaluate and reflect upon the performance of yourself and others
Pre- and Co-requisite Modules
Courses including this module
Compulsory in courses:
- Q5P5: BA Cymraeg gyda Newyddiaduraeth year 1 (BA/CN)
- V1PM: BA Hanes gyda Newyddiaduraeth year 1 (BA/HN)
- PP53: BA Journalism and Media Studies year 1 (BA/JMS)
- PP5B: BA Journalism & Media Studies (4yr with Incorp Foundation) year 1 (BA/JMS1)
- P306: BA Media Studies year 1 (BA/MS)
- P31B: BA Media Studies (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 1 (BA/MS1)
- P30F: BA Media Studies [with Foundation Year] year 1 (BA/MSF)
- 8U76: BA Media Studies (with International Experience) year 1 (BA/MSIE)
Optional in courses:
- W890: BA Creative&Professional Writing year 1 (BA/CPW)
- WPQ0: BA Creative Studies year 1 (BA/CST)
- WPQB: BA Creative Studies (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 1 (BA/CST1)
- QWM5: BA Cymraeg, Theatr a'r Cyfryngau year 1 (BA/CTC)
- WP83: BA Media Studies & Creative Wrtng year 1 (BA/CWMS)
- Q3P3: BA English Lang with Media Stds year 1 (BA/ELMS)
- W620: BA Film Studies year 1 (BA/FLM)
- W62B: BA Film Studies (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 1 (BA/FLM1)
- R1P3: BA French with Media Studies year 1 (BA/FRMS)
- 2W89: BA Film Studies (with International Experience) year 1 (BA/FSIE)
- P3R1: BA Media Studies with French year 1 (BA/MSFR)
- P3R2: BA Media Studies with German year 1 (BA/MSG)
- P3R3: BA Media Studies with Italian year 1 (BA/MSIT)
- P3R4: BA Media Studies with Spanish year 1 (BA/MSSP)
- P3R5: BA Media Stud with Spanish (with International Experience) year 1 (BA/MSSPIE)
- P3WL: BA Media Studies with Theatre and Performance year 1 (BA/MSTP)
- P3WB: BA Media Stud with Theatre & Perform (4yr with Incorp Found) year 1 (BA/MSTP1)
- W6W8: BA Professional Writing & Film year 1 (BA/PWF)
- P3W9: BA Professional Writing and Media year 1 (BA/PWM)
- R4P3: BA Spanish with Media Studies year 1 (BA/SPMS)
- M1W1: LLB Law with Creative Media Writing year 1 (LLB/LCMW)
- M1W2: LLB Law with Creative Media Writing (International Exp) year 1 (LLB/LCMWI)
- M1P1: LLB Law with Media Studies year 1 (LLB/LMS)
- M1P2: LLB Law with Media Studies (International Experience) year 1 (LLB/LMSI)