Contemporary Theatre Practice
Contemporary Theatre Practice 2023-24
School Of Arts, Culture And Language
Module - Semester 2
- Explore advance theatre making methods to create original creative work
- Introduce theoretical and practical research in Contemporary Theatre Practice
- Develop research and development material as well as a short company production to evaluate practice.
- The module runs every 2 years with students from the second and third year of undergraduate study working together
-threshold -Threshold (D- to D+) •Knowledge of key areas/principles only •Weaknesses in understanding of main areas •Limited evidence of background study •Performance or written response only poorly focussed on question and with some irrelevant material and poor structure •Arguments presented but lack coherence •Several factual/computational errors/unconvincing performance •No original interpretation •Only major links between topics are described •Weak group skills •Many weaknesses in presentation/performance and accuracy
-good -Very Good/Good (B- to B+) •Comprehensive knowledge •Detailed understanding •Background study •Focussed and well structured written or performance response •Logically presented and defended most arguments •Some to No factual/computational errors/committed and convincing performance •Some Original interpretation •New links between topics are developed •Strong group skills •Very good presentation with accurate communication
-excellent -Excellent (A- to A+) •Comprehensive knowledge •Detailed understanding •Extensive background study •Highly focussed and well structured written or performance response •Logically presented and defended arguments •No factual/computational errors/committed and convincing performance •Original interpretation •New links between topics are developed •Strong group skills •Excellent presentation with very accurate communication
-another level-Good/Satisfactory (C- to C+) •Knowledge of key areas/principles •Understands main areas •Limited evidence of background study •Written or performance response focussed on assignment but also with some irrelevant material and weaknesses in structure •Arguments presented but lack coherence •Has several factual/computational errors/mostly unconvincing performance •No original interpretation •Only major links between topics are described •Limited problem solving/satisfactory team work •Some weaknesses in presentation/performance and accuracy
- Devise creative strategies and methods to engage with theoretical issues arising from contemporary theatre practice context.
- Identify and discuss the theoretical and practical strategies that are currently in evidence within contemporary theatre practice thoroughly.
- Plan and engage in practice-based exploration for the generation of an original performance.
- Plan and undertake independent research-based investigation to inform written and practical work.
- Select and apply appropriate skills, working methods and approaches for conducting performance work.
Performance Study Prepare a 10 minute recorded presentation of your process within the theatre production rehearsal process to date. In relation to theoretical and practice based research, what key acting or directing methodologies are you exploring in support of your creative practice.
Theatre Production The class will establish a company identity and develop a short theatre production that explores performance making on the 21st century stage. You are encouraged to invite a public audience to engage in the practice-led research. Your role in the performance must be clear and a page of A4 will be submitted via ‘turnitin’ post production stating what you contributed in relation to your role. (Be it acting, assistant director, stage management). The production will take place in the final week of term 29th April with technical rehearsals as well as practice based rehearsals running up to this final week.
Contemporary Theatre Analysis Critical Analysis on a subject with in Contemporary Theatre Practice in reflection to your own developmental area of practice during the term. The essay should relate to theoretical research, practice as research and could include a case study involving a performance review if relevant.