Research Methods in Education
Research Methods in Education 2023-24
School Of Educational Sciences
Module - Semester 1 & 2
- An Introduction to Educational Research;
- The Research Question;
- An Overview of Quantitative Research Methods;
- Ethics and Educational Research;
- An Overview of Qualitative Research Methods;
- Evaluating research articles;
- Designing Questionnaires;
- Presenting Questionnaire data;
- Conducting Interviews;
- Analysing Qualitative Data;
- Assignment Guidance
- Single Case Experimental Designs;
- Case Studies;
- Action Research;
- Writing your Research Proposal;
- Internet Research;
- Academic Writing;
-threshold -threshold 50-59 % •Sufficient planning in relation to the learning outcomes; •Consideration given to planning and structure; •Discussion of at least one research approach and one method; •Links made between research aims and research findings; •Demonstrates some knowledge of research methods and relevant literature; •Demonstrates comprehension of different approaches to research; •Demonstrates some understanding of research study structure (Assignment 1); •Demonstrates some understanding of research ethics (Assignment 2).
-good -Good 60-69% •Showing sustained and relevant arguments regarding the strengths and weaknesses of research studies and particular research approaches/methods; •Employs theoretical perspectives and research methods literature to inform critical analysis of research studies; •Makes clear and informed links between research aims and findings; •Well planned in relation to learning outcomes and structure of argument; •Demonstrates applied knowledge of research methods and relevant literature; •Ability to compare and contrast different approaches to research; •Applied understanding of research ethics (Assignment 2).
-excellent -Excellent 70-89% •Demonstrates an engaged and critical analysis of resources used, showing original insights on contrasting research approaches and methods; •Demonstrates strong capacity to contrast quantitative and qualitative approaches and a wide range of methods, showing original insights on the implications these may have for research findings; •Uses, and demonstrates a thorough understanding of, a range of relevant theoretical perspectives linked to methodology; •Produces original and challenging ideas in relation to research (Assignment 2); •Engages critically with a comprehensive range of research literature applied to research studies and the research proposal.90-100 % Outstanding: This work demonstrates exceptional scholarship and is worthy of publication, or is instrumental in developing professional practice.
- Critically evaluate a breadth of academic, peer-reviewed literature relevant to your research topic
- Critically evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of qualitative or quantitative approaches and mixed methods in educational research.
- Critically understand and justify the use of different research methods and practices relevant to students’ own areas of interest and/or practice
- Demonstrate a critical understanding of research methods literature and its practical applications.
- Demonstrate critical understanding of the range of ethical considerations of undertaking research
- Formulate a research proposal, including selecting appropriate research methods, on a topic relating to education.
Literature Review of methods