About This Course
Modern Languages offers the possibility to do a PhD/MPhil in Chinese Studies (three years full-time; six years part-time). The School has a long tradition of excellent postgraduate student support, and students will be assigned two supervisors. Students are guaranteed full access to computing facilities (including translation memory software), library provision and all School resources including the film library. There is a dedicated postgraduate study area within the School which students are encouraged to use as often as they can.
- Chinese history
- Chinese literature (Classic & Contemporary)
- Contemporary Chinese Studies: Sino-West Relations; Geopolitics; Images of China (Representations and Self-representations); Chinese films & documentaries; Western films & documentaries on China
- Teaching Chinese as a Foreign Language
- Translation Studies (from and into Chinese)
Co-supervision of comparative topics within the School can also be offered.
Full time: 3 years + 1 year writing-up; Part time: 6 years
Good grades in Bachelor degree and a Masters degree. Previous research experience is essential.
- Minimum of 65% in undergraduate programme from a recognised university in China (211 university) OR
- Minimum of 70% in undergraduate programme from a recognised university in China (non 211 university)
Mature students: will be considered on a case by case basis.
English Language Requirements: IELTS 6.5 (6.0) or equivalent.