Subject Studies 2.1: Creativity and Expression through language and the arts
Subject Studies 2.1: Creativity and Expression through language and the arts 2022-23
School Of Educational Sciences
Module - Semester 1 & 2
Within this module the focus on Welsh and English language, culture and traditions will facilitate Associate Teacher understanding of other languages , communication, literacy and the expressive arts (visual art, drama, music and ICT (film and digital media). Within the module Associate Teachers will also be developing their own personal Welsh language skills. Progression within each of these areas will be explored. The distinctiveness of each subject and their interconnectedness will be examined through a range of contexts to enable Associate Teachers to make meaningful connections and develop authentic contexts for learning.
Generic Module Content:
- Exploring effective assessment for learning strategies in communication and the expressive arts;
- Developing the ATs' Welsh language oral, reading and writing skills;
- Integrating cross-cutting themes between languages, literacy and communication and the expressive arts;
- Creatively embedding the cross-curricular responsibilities of literacy, numeracy and digital competency through communication and the Expressive arts; -
Progression in languages, literacy and communication in the primary school (3-11):
- Exploring progression in the key concepts in primary languages, literacy and communication; broadening and extending research-informed pedagogical content knowledge based on the following areas of languages, literacy and communication:
-Story telling and Welsh fables through the Expressive Arts;
- Children’s literature including poetry that improves children's emotional and spiritual well being;
- Effective planning for the teaching and learning of languages, literacy and communication through the primary years.
- Understanding key issues relating to effective language methodologies for L1 and L2 learners. e.g. intensive and immersive language learning approaches and methods.
- Reflecting on effective bilingual methods and language pedagogy for the teaching and learning of Welsh through the primary years and in Latecomers' Centres including effective use of learning resources, media and digital technology;
- Extending the Associate Teacher’s use of Welsh and improve on their previous personal stage of achievement in oral, reading and writing proficiency in Welsh in accordance with the marking criteria outlined in the National Welsh Competency Framework for Education Practitioners.
- Developing subject knowledge, personal skills and pedagogical understanding based on research in drama, music,art and ICT (film and digital media) ;
- Using a range of art forms as a means of expression, and how art forms allow creative expression;
- Approaches to planning, learning, teaching, assessment, evaluation, classroom management and inclusion in art and design, drama and ICT (film and digital media);
- Models of creativity and creative approaches to teaching and learning when designing the curriculum of Expressive Arts and languages and literacy;
- To explore the potential for working collaboratively with a range of art forms;
- Celebrating and respecting the distinctive and diverse cultures, languages, values and traditions of Wales;
- To work with creative artists and artistic venues, including the local environment, exploring processes and procedures .Explore how visiting artists can work alongside students in project based work to develop authentic contexts for learning;
- Present a balanced argument and well argues case for the use of a range of resources that can support children’s development and progress (museums, libraries artists)
- Exploring the creative and expressive arts in Wales and in the broader Celtic tradition; traditional and contemporary literature, artists and makers, drama and ICT;
- Exploring creative links between Wales, the UK, Europe and the wider world.
- How the contributions of the areas identified can enhance well-being – emotionally, and spiritually.
- How talents can be fostered and supported and so enhance confidence within individuals.
The four purposes of the curriculum areas will be embedded throughout the module:
Developing children as: - Ambitious, capable learners, ready to learn throughout their lives; - Enterprising, creative contributors, ready to play a full part in life and work; - Ethical, informed citizens of Wales and the world; - Healthy, confident individuals, ready to lead fulfilling lives as valued members of society.
Research Methods and Methodology -
Research informed delivery and research-based teaching:
Evidence-based and research-informed learning underpins the content and the delivery of this module and will be presented in a way that encourages Associate Teachers to evaluate how theory and practice are blended. This module will encourage Associate Teachers to examine, interpret and critically analyse the strengths and weaknesses of evidence in the latest theory
Academic Study Skills Development of academic skills are embedded within module content and assignment context.
-threshold -(D) All learning outcomes will have been met to a satisfactory level. Knowledge and understanding of the module content and in the context of the assignment will be supported by a satisfactory range of theory, practice and research literature related to the module areas of study. ATs will have demonstrated satisfactory evidence of critical analysis when reflecting on teaching and learning. ATs will produce a satisfactory Welsh portfolio demonstrating satisfactory progress in their personal Welsh skills (speaking and listening, reading and writing skills) from their previous initial audit ATs will have developed their study skills to a satisfactory standard and will be able to communicate to a satisfactory standard in a professional and academic context.
-good -(B) Most learning outcomes will have been met to a good level. Excellence in some learning outcomes may balance satisfactory attainment in others. A good knowledge and understanding of the module content will be supported by a good range of theory, practice and research literature. ATs will produce a Welsh portfolio demonstrating good progress in their personal Welsh skills (speaking and listening, reading and writing skills) from their previous initial audit Candidates will provide good critical analysis when reflecting on a significant range of teaching and learning styles. Students will have developed their study skills to a good standard and will be able to communicate to a good standard in a professional and academic context.
-excellent -(A) Most learning outcomes will have been met to an excellent level and all learning outcomes will be at least good. A deep knowledge and understanding of the module content will be supported by an extensive range of theory, practice and research literature. ATs will produce an excellent Welsh portfolio demonstrating excellent progress in their personal Welsh skills (speaking and listening, reading and writing skills) from their previous initial audit. Candidates will provide excellent critical analysis when reflecting on a wide range of teaching and learning styles. Students will have developed their study skills to an excellent standard and will be able to communicate to an excellent standard in a professional and academic context.
- ATs will be able to analyse research that will inform teaching approaches and signature pedagogy within the module subjects.
- ATs will be able to demonstrate a critical awareness and comprehension of the research-informed pedagogy, curriculum content, and professional knowledge and understanding required for the effective teaching of the Expressive Arts, languages, literacy and communication which include Welsh and English in primary schools.
- ATs will be able to interpret and analyse notions of creativity, ( including definitions, models and approaches to teaching and learning that enable creativity).
- ATs will demonstrate an increased competence in their level of Welsh personal skills in accordance with the Welsh Competency Framework for Education Practitioners and a sound understanding of the methodologies of language teaching and their application with learners.
- ATs will evaluate , in relation to research and theory, how the subjects (in their own right) contribute to children’s development academically, socially and emotionally.
- Through cross cutting themes including Welsh heritage and language ATs will analyse and evaluate links between subjects in order to plan meaningful authentic experiences for children based on language, communication, visual art, drama, film and digital media and how these foster inclusivity, self-expression and support the development of ALL children.
Expressive Art product creation and critique
Logbook Or Portfolio
Welsh Language Portfolio and National Welsh Competency Framework for Education Practitioners