Agroforestry and Food Security MSc
- Enw: Agroforestry and Food Security
- Cymhwyster: MSc
- Hyd: 1 year full-time. Part-time and distance learning options also available
The Agroforestry and Food Security MSc will provide students with a detailed understanding of the principles and processes of agroforestry as part of a sustainable food production system, including its social and environmental contexts. It will equip students to implement the latest research into sustainable production systems thinking and will facilitate entry into agroforestry-related careers. The programme suits people with interests in the agri-food, farming, environmental, conservation, and agricultural policy sectors, and covers both temperate and tropical systems and contexts.
Students studying the course will:
- Examine the environmental, economic and social aspect of agroforestry in the context of food security and the changing environment.
- Study how selected agroforestry management practices can improve the resource-efficiency and overall sustainability of food production.
- Gain a global perspective to question whether and how growing demand for food from limited land resources can be met through agroforestry and sustainable intensification.
There is a long tradition of agroforestry practice in many parts of the world, but recently it has become a major focus in international development and is now at the forefront of innovation in natural resource management. Bangor is a world leader in agroforestry with a fantastic reputation for its research activities and our graduates are either already employed when they start the course and/or have a strong track record in finding employment within the sector. Students and academic staff are active collaborators with international organisations such as the Tropical Agricultural Research and Higher Education Center, Costa Rica (CATIE) and the World Agroforestry Centre (ICRAF). You can expect to develop the skills required for a research and professional career from the comprehensive programme we offer.
The course has a world focus and the University has strong links with agroforestry organisations which means that many of our students have undertaken fieldwork in Africa, Asia, Europe and the Americas, as well as in Wales/UK. Besides fantastic overseas opportunities, we also have a university farm (Henfaes Research Centre) located a short distance outside of Bangor where many students carry out experiments for their final projects.
This course is accredited by the Institute of Chartered Foresters and gives partial fulfilment of Professional Membership Entry.
We work in partnership with the World Agroforestry Centre.
Rhoddir cynnwys y cwrs ar gyfer arweiniad yn unig a gall newid.
For the Postgraduate Certificate in Agroforestry and Food Security (PgCert. in Agroforestry and Food Security): students should achieve a total of 60 credits from any combination of modules except the dissertation.
For the Postgraduate Diploma in Agroforestry and Food Security (PgDip. Agroforestry and Food Security): students should achieve a total of 120 credits from any combination of modules except the dissertation.
For the Master’s degree in Agroforestry and Food Security (MSc Agroforestry and Food Security): students should achieve a total of 180 credits including the dissertation.
The programme shall be assessed in accordance with the University’s regulations and codes of practice.
Compulsory Modules (20 credits):
- DXX-4505 Natural Resource Management (Semester 2, Jan-May)
- DDL-4004 Agroforestry Systems and Practice (Semester 1, Sept-Jan)
- DDL-4207 Global Food Security (Semester 1, Sept-Jan)
- DXX-4532 Study Tour (Semester 2, Jan-May)
Optional Modules (20 credits):
- DXX-4536 Urban Forestry (Semester 1, Sept-Jan)
- DDL-4012 Carbon Footprinting and Life Cycle Assessment (Semester 2, Jan-May)
- DXX-4530 Forest Management Planning (Semester 2, Jan-May)
Compulsory Modules (60 credits):
- DDL-4999 Dissertation (if studying towards an MSc)
Modiwlau y flwyddyn yma
Rhoddir rhestr modiwlau ar gyfer arweiniad yn unig a gall newid. Gweld y modiwlau mae ein myfyrwyr yn astudio ar tudalen Modiwlau Agroforestry and Food Security.
A 2(ii) undergraduate degree in a relevant subject, e.g. Agriculture, Forestry, Environmental Sciences, Ecology, Conservation Sciences, Sustainable Development, Geography or Biological Sciences. Alternatively, a first degree in an unrelated subject plus relevant practical experience may be accepted. Applicants are judged on their individual merits and age, work experience and other factors are also considered. Students with degrees in forestry, agriculture, geography, biology, environmental studies, economics, law, social sciences, philosophy and modern languages have graduated from this course.
IELTS: 6.0 (with no element below 5.5) is required.
Sut i wneud Cais
Gallwch nawr wneud cais ar-lein ar gyfer holl raglenni ôl-raddedig trwy ddysgu a rhaglenni ymchwil ôl-raddedig y Brifysgol (gan eithrio TAR, Diploma mewn Therapi Galwedigaethol a DClinPsy).
Cam 1 – Paratoi i wneud cais
- Gallwch wneud cais eich hunain gyda cymorth ein Nodiadau Canllaw ar ymgeisio ar-lein. Rydym yn argymell yn gryf eich bod yn darllen rhain cyn i chi wneud cais ar-lein.
Cam 2 – Gwneud cais ar-lein
Ar ôl i chi ddarllen y Nodiadau Canllaw, dylech wneud cais gan ddefnyddio ein Gwasanaeth Derbyniadau Ar-lein.
Er mwyn ichi weld a chwblhau’r ffurflen gais yn Gymraeg bydd angen i chi sicrhau bod y gosodiad iaith ar eich porwr dewisol wedi ei osod ar Gymraeg. I gael canllawiau ynglŷn â sut i wneud hyn cliciwch yma (cyswllt â chwestiynau a ofynnir yn aml ynglŷn â sut i wneud hyn yn Firefox, IE a Google Chrome)
Wedi i chi gwblhau y ffurflen gais ar-lein bydd rhaid i chi ddarparu copiau o nifer o ddogfennau (wedi eu tystio os nad oes gennych y dogfennau gwreiddiol), megis trawsgrifiadau academaidd, tystysgrifon gradd, cadarnhad o gymorth ariannol.
Am wybodaeth bellach neu gyngor am wneud cais, cysylltwch â’r Swyddfa Derbyniadau Ôl-raddedig.
Ffôn: +44 (0)1248 383717
Pryd i wneud cais
Bydd y Brifysgol yn derbyn ceisiadau drwy gydol y flwyddyn ond byddwn yn gyffredinol yn eich annog i anfon eich cais cyn diwedd mis Mehefin. Mae hyn yn rhoi cyfle i chi wneud trefniadau ariannol a/neu lety ac i chi fedru cael gafael ar drawsgrifiadau a geirda os nad ydych wedi eu hanfon gyda’r cais gwreiddiol.
This course will enable professionals to redirect or enhance their capabilities. Graduates can find careers in advisory and policy/advocacy roles, executive management, agriculture, agribusiness and environmental consultancy and agencies, agricultural finance, land and catchment management agencies, natural resources management, agricultural education and training, and as rural counsellors.
Cysylltu â ni
Dr Mark Rayment, Course Director, Phone: +44 (0) 1248 383634
- Conservation and Land Management MSc
- Environmental and Business Management MSc
- Environmental Forestry MSc
- Forestry and Environmental Management degrees (TRANSFOR-M) MSc
- Sustainable Forest and Nature Management (SUFONAMA) (Erasmus Mundus course) MSc
- Sustainable Tropical Forestry (SUTROFOR) (Erasmus Mundus course) MSc