In 2022, we were awarded with £3 million investment from the North Wales Growth Deal (NWGD) fund, through Ambition North Wales, Welsh Government and UK Government. We are using this funding to improve our research infrastructure, in the form of highly-specialist equipment.
The overarching objective of the NWGD project is to enhance the quality and scope of our research. By doing so, we aim to improve our ability to capture further research funding, create more opportunities for collaboration with industry and academic organisations, develop unique solutions for companies across the digital sector, and encourage significant inward investment into North Wales.
We have five specific spending objectives that we aim to deliver by 2031, which align with the objectives of the North Wales Growth Deal Programme. These are:
- Encourage innovation and commercialisation through knowledge transfer from the DSP Centre to the wider economy, by working on 70 collaborative projects/collaborations by 2031.
- Establish the DSP Centre as a recognised centre, contributing to UK Governments objectives for 5G roll out.
- Directly create 10 sustainable, high-value jobs in the digital sector through research excellence and indirectly support 30 jobs.
- Increase GVA by £11 million to £13 million.
- Leverage £12.5m further investment through grant capture and private sector contributions.
The main benefit of the project is the creation of new jobs. By enhancing our research capability, we will be able to capture further funding opportunities, resulting in direct jobs being created via the recruitment of new researchers to work on research, development and innovation (RD&I) projects. Indirect jobs will also be created in the wider industry, thanks to the increase in RD&I opportunities that result from collaborative projects that we will be able to work on with partners.