Run by School of Ocean Sciences
20 Credits or 10 ECTS Credits
Semester 1 & 2
Organiser: Dr Dei Huws
Overall aims and purpose
To foster early and regular contact between staff and their personal tutees thus underpinning the pastoral care system within the School.
To introduce the students to the multi-disciplinary nature of marine science.
To encourage students to read more widely around their chosen subject.
To teach skills in essay writing and oral presentation.
Teach basics of library usage and encourage this.
Pwrpas y modiwl yma yw i gyflwyno ystod o sgiliau sydd ei hangen er mwyn llwyddo wrth ddilyn cwrs gradd ym maes Gwyddor Mor, ac i ysgogi ryw hunan-diddordeb yn y maes.
This module is designed to introduce a range of skills required for a marine science degree and to encourage wider reading in marine science. It involves directed reading and the practice in oral and written presentations. Regular tutorials (7 to 10 students per group) will be held throughout the year during which essay writing skills, oral presentation skills and abstracting information from the scientific literature will be discussed. The module will be assesses by two essay assignments, two oral presentations and an abstracting exercise to be done during the semester.
|Completion of work S1||5|
|Completion of work S1||5|
Teaching and Learning Strategy
Courses including this module
Compulsory in courses:
- C163: BSC Applied Marine Biology year 1 (BSC/AMB4)
- C166: BSc Applied Marine Biology (with International Experience) year 1 (BSC/AMB4IE)
- CC13: BSC Marine Biology/Zoology year 1 (BSC/BMZ)
- 8B76: BSc Marine Biology and Zoology (with International Exp) year 1 (BSC/BMZIE)
- F650: BSC Geological Oceanography year 1 (BSC/GEO)
- 8S54: BSc Geological Oceanography (with International Experience) year 1 (BSC/GEOIE)
- F842: BSc Marine Geography year 1 (BSC/MARG)
- C160: BSC Marine Biology year 1 (BSC/MB)
- C165: BSc Marine Biology (with International Experience) year 1 (BSC/MBIE)
- CF17: BSC Marine Biology/Oceanography year 1 (BSC/MBO)
- F710: BSC Marine Environmental Studies year 1 (BSC/MES)
- F713: BSc Marine Environmental Stud with International Experience year 1 (BSC/MESIE)
- C351: BSC Marine Vertebrate Zoology year 1 (BSC/MVZ)
- 2F11: BSc Marine Vertebrate Zoology (with International Experience year 1 (BSC/MVZIE)
- F7F6: BSc Ocean and Geophysics year 1 (BSC/OGP)
- F700: BSC Ocean Science year 1 (BSC/OS)
- 2W79: MMBiol Marine Biology (with International Experience) year 1 (MMBIOL/MBI)
- F652: MSci Geological Oceanography year 1 (MSCI/GO)
- C167: MSci Marine Biology year 1 (MSCI/MB)
- F712: MSci Marine Biology and Oceanography year 1 (MSCI/MBO)
- C169: MSci Marine Biology and Zoology year 1 (MSCI/MBZ)
- C168: MSci Marine Vertebrate Zoology year 1 (MSCI/MVZ)
- F734: MSci Physical Oceanography year 1 (MSCI/PO)