A landscape image of a mountain with three peaks, covered in snow and a person walking towards the summit

Drugs and alcohol

We know that socialising is a big part of university life, and often that may be in an alcohol environment. If you are going out and having a few drinks, here's some tips for enjoying your night. 

Food helps to slow the absorption of alcohol which will stop it going to your head so quickly. Carbs and protein are ideal to eat before you go out. You will also save a few quid by avoiding that end of night kebab…well maybe!

Drinking four standard drinks on a single occasion more than doubles the risks of injury in the proceeding hours. This risk increases more rapidly when more than four drinks are consumed on a single occasion. We are all different sizes and our limits vary, don’t try to keep up with others.

Don’t let anyone pressure you into drinking more or drinking faster and if your mate asked for a single then don’t give them a double!

Drinking alcohol quickly can cause you to lose track of what you’ve drank and will cause you to become drunk faster so pace drinks to one or fewer per hour and avoid drinking games. Try Alternate alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages.

Avoid peer pressure, pace yourself & know your limits.

Make sure you always stick together to ensure a safer night out. If someone disappeared don’t assume they’ve just gone home. Use apps such as ‘Find my friends’ or enable ‘Location Sharing’ on Google Maps so you know where each other are if you’re finding it difficult to find each other.

Look out for your friends - don’t leave anyone behind!

Just in case you need it! 

If you find yourself alone and feeling unsafe call 999 or University Security on 01248 382795 for advice and support.

Make sure to always write EMERGENCY contact numbers on a piece of paper.

If you can no longer use your phone you can always use an alternative phone. Possibly ask staff in any open outlet.

Make sure your mobile phone is charged and in credit.

Don't be peer pressured, or peer pressure your mates into drinking more than they want to.

Know the symptoms of drink spiking and remember you can ask at the bar for a drinks cover.

Symptoms include: Difficulty concentrating, blurred vision, memory loss, nausea / vomiting, paranoia, loss of consciousness.

Having your drink spiked with alcohol or drugs can make you vulnerable. You might not notice the difference to the taste of your drink, but the effects can be serious. If you suspect your drink, or the drink of someone else has been spiked tell someone you trust as soon as possible. Speak to venue staff, ask for your drink to be tested. If your condition worsens seek medical attention.

  • Always watch your drink and do not leave it unattended.
  • Keep an eye on your friends’ drinks.
  • If you notice someone put something into someone else’s drinks, let them know.
  • A simple way to protect your drink is to keep your thumb over the top of the bottle or your hand over the top of your glass.
  • Ask at the bar for cover to your drink.
  • Do not take drinks from strangers.

Plan your journey home & travel in groups. Book a taxi in advance and only use licenced taxis

Someone following you? Feeling uncomfortable? Need help on your night out? Then ask for ‘Angela’. The bar staff will know you need help and will help in any way they can, without causing a fuss! 

A good tip for staying hydrated and not drinking too much.

If you are worried about your or someone else's drinking, there is lots of support available for you. More information can be found below.

If you are unsure of who to contact, you can email the University's Wellbeing Service who can speak to you about support options - wellbeingservices@bangor.ac.uk.

Alcohol Awareness Support and Helplines

CAIS (CAIS – recovery, drug rehab & alcohol rehab, mental health, jobs & training | CAIS)  is a local service which is based at the Abbey Road Centre, Farrar Road, Bangor.  Tel 0345 06 121 12

"CAIS will reduce the harm caused by the misuse of alcohol and drugs by providing a range of effective services and interventions and by working with others to prevent alcohol and drug related harm so that individuals and communities can maximise their social, health and economic potential".

Raising alcohol awareness: Drinkaware Home | Drinkaware 

Alcoholics Anonymous
This website provides information for those seeking help with a drink problem.

Drinkline gives confidential information and advice and can put you in touch with your local alcohol advice centre where help is available on a one-to-one basis. Drinkline also welcomes calls from people concerned about someone else's drinking.

Tel: 0808 808 2234
Free confidential help and advice for anyone in Wales wanting further information and help relating to drugs and alcohol.
The bilingual helpline is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and calls from UK landlines are free (some mobile phone networks may charge). As well as providing advice if someone needs more support it can help put them in touch with their local services.

Home Office (Help and Information, Drugs + The Law, Tackling Drugs Misuse. Tel: 0800 917 8282

Myf.Cymru is a mental health and wellbeing resources for students through the medium of Welsh which has useful tools and information including:  

Socialising in an Alcohol-free environment

Campus Life have weekly activities that are alcohol free and many Undeb Bangor club and society activities are also alcohol free and take place in alcohol-free environments. For more information on how to get involved, take a look at their websites:

Information leaflets

It looks like you’re visiting from outside the UK, would you like to be redirected to the international page?