Monitoring Policy and Standards
- The university will ensure that issues relating to the Welsh language are discussed widely at the university and at the Executive Committee and Council level. It will do this by ensuring that a robust structure of committees is in place.
- The university will ensure that detailed records are kept of statistics relating to the Welsh language (e.g. the number and percentage of the workforce that speak Welsh, the number of post advertised where Welsh is essential).
- The university will ensure that a record is kept of complaints relating to the Welsh language and will ensure that individuals know how to bring a complaint in relation to the Welsh language to the attention of the university.
- A record will be kept of each complaint received in relation to non-compliance with the Welsh Language Standards, or in relation to the use of Welsh in the organization in general.
- A list of the complaints received will be submitted to the Audit and Risk Committee of the University Council.
- If a student, a member of staff or an individual or group wishes to draw the university's attention to deficiencies in terms of how its deals with the Welsh language, they should refer the complaint in the first instance to the Head of Policy and Development at Canolfan Bedwyr by completing an on-line form or by phone (01248) 383293.
- The Head of Policy and Development will assess the complaint. If there is an indication of non-compliance with the University's Language Policy and / or Welsh Language Standards, the complaint will be investigated with a view to resolving it informally in the first instance.
- If the matter is broad in terms of its implications or if it is a serious complaint about non-compliance, the matter will be brought to the attention of the Welsh Medium Pro Vice-chancellor, and then to the attention of PASG (Panel Adolygu Safonau'r Gymraeg/Welsh Language Standards Review Panel) and / or the Council's Bilingualism Committee.
- The Head of Policy and Development will report back to the complainant with the findings of any investigation.
- If a complaint relates to the conduct of a member of staff, the matter should be referred to the Human Resources department through the relevant procedure.
- Bangor University Welsh Language Policy
- Code of Practice for Staff Appointments
- 10 Principles
- Quick Guide
- Comments and Complaints