Research Project 2023-24
School Of Human And Behavioural Sciences
Module - Semester 1 & 2
Tommie Du Preez
Supervisory support will form an important part of the teaching method, but ultimately, most of the learning will be student-centred. In this module you will gain experience obtaining ethical approval on your project, before collecting primary data, designed to help answer a research question of particular interest to you and the field. In addition to the supervisory support that you receive, the module teaching staff will provide workshops on gaining ethical approval, how to prepare a verbal/poster presentation and how to present your data in your presentation and final written report. One to one statistics support will also be provided by a postgraduate student. This module provides the opportunity to put into practice the competencies that you have gained throughout your undergraduate studies and across a range of disciplines e.g. subject specific expertise and statistical analytical skills, as well as transferable skills such as critical thinking and being able to disseminate findings effectively.
-threshold -(D) Most criteria are met to an adequate standard; there may be a wide range in the quality of different components of the research project
-good -(B) Most criteria are met to a good standard; there may be a wide range in the quality of different components of the research project
-excellent -(A) All components of the research project are met to an excellent standard.
- Communicate their research project in poster or oral format, demonstrating an ability to answer questions about the project following the presentation;
- Gain a basic awareness of ethical issues;
- Interpret their research findings in relation to current knowledge and indicate how these might inform practice;
- Plan and conduct study designs that test a specific research question and hypotheses;
- Present a written report that effectively communicates the completed, viable, research project and their understanding of it.
- Select, execute and interpret appropriate statistical tests;
- Students who successfully complete this module will, with the support of a supervisor, be able to: Demonstrate an ability to use relevant literature to justify a specific research question and associated hypotheses;
poster/verbal presentation - Content (50%).
Poster / Verbal Presentation - Presentation (50%)