Why choose Bangor for your studies?
Founded in 1884, dedicated to academic excellence for more than 135 years, Bangor University is one of the oldest and most prestigious degree awarding institutions in the UK. Find out more
- Awarded Gold rating for Teaching Excellence – TEF 2017
- World ranking 160th for International Outlook – Times Higher Education World Ranking 2020
- Top 15 UK University for Teaching Quality – The Times and Sunday Times League Table 2020
- Top 10 UK University for Student Satisfaction – National Student Survey 2019
- Top 10 UK University for Teaching Satisfaction – Guardian University League Table 2020
Careers and Employability
- Top 10 UK University for Job Prospects - WhatUni 2019
- 93% of our graduates progressed to employment or further study within six months of graduation – DLHE survey 2016/17
- Many courses help strengthen career prospects through;
- Work placements: students are provided with a variety of options for work experience – either within the degree, through University internships or by volunteering.
- Industry partnerships: Some degrees are run in partnership with the industry such as Teacher Training, Nursing and Social Work.
- Professional accreditations: to help develop students’ careers, many of the degrees are accredited by professional bodies of global repute, such as IBMS, ACCA, CIMA, CIM, BCS, BPS, IET, ICF, SRA, and NMC.
Cost of Study
- Ranked 1st in the UK for lowest cost of living for students - Totally Money 2019
- Scholarships worth over £1M are available for international students. Find out more
- Top 20 in the UK for cheap shops and amenities – THE Student Survey 2018
- Top 10 UK University for ‘Student support’ – WhatUni 2019
- Free English language support for international students throughout the year, details here
- Dedicated team to handle international student concerns ranging from visa, accommodation, health, money matters, and employment
- Free of cost writing and skills workshops for students, for confidential writing, study skills, time management, and numeracy/statistics support
- Ranked 1st in the UK for ‘Clubs and Societies’ – WhatUni 2019
- Ranked top 5 in the UK for student accommodation – WhatUni 2019
- Guaranteed accommodation for new international students
- Free Wi-fi, gym membership, and campus life activities access
- £35 million investment in student accommodation halls
- Conveniently located within a 15 minute walk from the lecture halls and also the city centre
- Student village comprising of sports facilities, laundry, café, bar, shops and 24 hour security
- Variety of room options available; En-Suite, Studios, Townhouses, Standard, and Budget
- Coastal town situated near to the Snowdonia mountains.
- Close to major cities like London (3.5 hrs), Manchester (1.5 hrs) and Liverpool (1.5 hrs)
- Top 20 UK University for University Facilities – WhatUni 2019
- £67m invested on campus redevelopment and a further £48m on a new Arts and Innovation Centre (Pontio).
- 160+ buildings, 14 academic departments offering 250+ Undergraduate courses and 150+ Postgraduate courses in 40+ subject areas offered over January and September intakes.
International Year Zero
A High School Diploma GPA 2.0 OR SAT result 1500 (1100 if prior to March 2005) is required to be considered for entry onto year zero of the 4-year international incorporated bachelor degree.
International Year 1 - Business, Management and Finance
One of the following:
- High School Diploma with a GPA (unweighted) of 3.0 or higher
- Either SATs (500+ in each section) or ACTs (26+)
- Two examples of specialised knowledge in your chosen area of study (i.e. AP tests 3+ SAT2 Subject tests of 500+ or college/university classes) is required to be considered for entry onto the International Year 1*.
*The International Year 1 is the first year of our 3 year Bachelor Degrees in Business, Management & Finance provides an intensive combination of first year university subject modules with extra study and English language skills, and is taught on campus at Bangor University International College and delivered by our partner Oxford International Education Group.
Undergraduate - 3 years
Undergraduate degrees at Bangor are 3 years, and are equivalent to US degrees. They are shorter than in the US as we do not require general education requirements. You are focused on one subject from the start, although you gain a broad knowledge of this specialised area. Many US students plan on staying for 4 years however, as our master's programs are 1 year; so in 4 years you can have your master's, nearly all of which are equal to master's in the US, but you're done in 4 years instead of 6-7. These degrees are highly respected worldwide, and will be equivalent to a US bachelor's degree.
The minimum we require for consideration is:
- High School Diploma with a GPA (unweighted) of 3.0 or higher or GED Pass (580/800)
- Either SATs (550+ in each section) or ACTs (26+)
- Two to three examples of specialised knowledge in your chosen area of study (i.e. AP tests 3+, SAT2 Subject tests of 550+, or college/university classes)
- A personal statement
- An academic recommendation (preferably from a teacher in your chosen area of study)
However, each application is assessed individually. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org
Undergraduate Transfer Students
We can also accept transfer students who have completed one or two years at a community college or university. These applications are reviewed on a case by case basis and students generally transfer into year 1 or year 2 for the remainder of their degree. We request that you supply as much information as possible (transcripts, course descriptions, etc.) to assess at what level you have studied previously as UK undergraduate degrees are extremelly specialised and focused. We need to ensure you've taken the appropriate courses prior to arrival in order to prepare you for the coursework at Bangor.
Study Abroad (Semester or 1 year)
You should have a good academic record at your home university. We look for a GPA of 2.5 or better. To apply to study abroad, please apply here.
Postgraduate – Masters - 1 year
UK Master's are equal to US Master's. Certification courses vary by state (nursing, law etc)so do check with the international office to confirm.
Minimum GPA of 3.0 from a reputable university. No GRE requirement, however we do request a personal statement, transcripts and a research proposal where appropriate. Each application is assessed individually.
Candidates who require additional studies in order to reach the desired level for entry onto a Masters degree will be considered for an extended Masters degree with incorporated Pre-Masters.*
Postgraduate Research – PhD – 3 years
UK PhD's are equal to USA PhD's. Each application is assessed on its own merits, however students will usually be expected to hold a Masters degree, and/or have relevant work experience. Previous exposure to research or thesis writing is highly desirable.
Studying Law at Bangor
Law students can apply directly to the Law programs at Bangor. There is no need for a previous undergraduate degree. Students who have already completed an undergraduate degree in the US (in any subject) are eligible to apply to the two-year LLB degree. This is an accelerated course allowing students to complete their LLB in two years.
Students may be eligible for entry under the mature student regulations. This regulation does not require a bachelor degree. The applicants must however have obtained relevant work experience or held a position of responsibility relevant to the proposed course of study for a minimum period of 2 years prior to commencing the course. This rule does NOT apply for applicants for PhD studies, and entrants MUST have a taught postgraduate degree.
English Language Requirements
Entry onto undergraduate and postgraduate programmes is dependent on academic qualifications and English Language Level.
Applicants from USA need NOT provide additional evidence of English Language ability, if previous education was with English medium of instruction. Otherwise, an IELTS overall 6.0 with 5.5 in each component or equivalent is normally required (some courses may require a higher score).
Details of the English language requirements for courses run at Bangor University International College (BUIC) can be found here.
Students from other countries who require advice regarding their qualifications can contact the International Education Centre at: email@example.com
* Note: In such cases, candidate details will be shared with Bangor University International College which delivers the 1st year of the 4-year degree course, and Pre-Masters component of the Masters degree course in partnership with Bangor University. Candidate details will not be shared with any other third party organisations.
ACT School Code: 7092
SAT School Code: 7200
- International Year Zero: High school certificate or equivalent from your home country + IELTS 4.5 (4.0)
- International Year 1: School leaving qualification equivalent to the British school leaving qualification (A-levels / IB) + IELTS 4.5 (4.0
- Undergraduate Courses: School leaving qualification equivalent to the British school leaving qualification (A-levels / IB) or the University may also recognise relevant professional experience of 2 years or longer for entry onto our degree programmes + IELTS 6.0 (5.5)
- Postgraduate Courses: Undergraduate / bachelor degree of equivalent standard to the British undergraduate/bachelor degree or the University may also recognise relevant professional experience of 2 years or longer for entry onto our degree programmes + IELTS 6.0 (5.5)
- PhD/Research Course: Postgraduate / Master’s Degree of equivalent standard to the British Postgraduate / Master’s Degree + IELTS 6.0 (5.5)
Note: Some courses may require higher entry requirements. Refer to individual course page for details. Course Search
Applicants from some countries do NOT need to provide additional evidence of English Language ability, if previous education was with English medium of instruction. Otherwise, an IELTS overall 6.0 with 5.5 in each component or equivalent is normally required (some courses may require a higher score.
Fees & Scholarships
Find out about the annual tuition fee for international students as well as the many attractive scholarships for international students on our International Fees page.
Bangor University is a FAFSA school, meaning you can use US Federal Loans to pay for your degree here. Further information about the process and how much you may be eligible for can be found here. Bangor is also a GI Bill School, so you can also use Veteran's benefits to study with us as well.
Last year scholarships worth over £1 million pounds were offered by Bangor University, helping students from around the world to satisfy their dream of studying overseas. Find out about the annual tuition fee for international students as well as the many attractive scholarships for international students on our International Scholarships page.
Contacts & Agents
We have a dedicated team of international country managers who regularly travel overseas to meet prospective students throughout the year. Alternatively you can approach one of our authorised agents in your country who can advise you about admissions at Bangor and assist you with your application.
The details about our next visit to the USA will be posted here soon. In the meantime, feel free to contact us by filling in the Enquiry Form, and we will get back to you within 24 hours.
Our dedicated team of international country managers travel overseas to meet prospective students throughout the year. Find out when they may be visiting your country.