Italian Language 2 (3 Major)
Run by School of Languages, Literatures, Linguistics and Media
40.000 Credits or 20.000 ECTS Credits
Organiser: Dr Silvia Bergamini
Overall aims and purpose
- To consolidate key areas of advanced grammar.
- To further develop advanced test translation skills into and out of the target language.
- To develop oral and aural skills to a high standard through exposure to a wide range of audio visual material.
- To promote appropriate use of style and register in written and oral work.
- To develop and refine advanced skills in structured formal essay writing and paraphrasing tasks.
Students on this module will be working towards achieving C1/C2 on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR)
This 30 credit module running throughout the year promotes appropriate use of style and register in all written and oral work and ensures that students can deal with variations in register and idiomatic expression in a confident and accurate manner. Through exposure to selected texts, complex grammatical structures and audiovisual materials, students acquire reading, writing, aural and oral skills which match the required standard of final year linguists.
Webpages: www.rainews.it www.repubblica.it
Any other learning resources: Writing classes dossier; Translation classes dossier.
40-49%: A limited knowledge of vocabulary and grammar and a limited ability to translate and paraphrase the prescribed range of texts. In translation, poor ability to retain the original meaning of the text and to reproduce the author’s style. Basic oral/aural competence.
50-69%: A good knowledge of vocabulary and grammar and a good ability to translate and paraphrase the prescribed range of texts. In translation, good ability to retain the original meaning of the text and to reproduce the author’s style. Good oral/aural competence.
70+%: An excellent knowledge of vocabulary and grammar and an excellent ability to translate and paraphrase the prescribed range of texts. In translation, excellent ability to retain the original meaning of the text and to reproduce the author’s style. Excellent oral/aural competence.
Demonstrate in essay and translation work a sophisticated command of both Italian and English/Welsh that is alive to the rhetorical range of both languages.
To understand and process complex texts and audiovisual materials varying in style, tone and register and comment on these texts in a concise and fluent manner.
Display an ability in oral work to present in fluent Italian arguments that could be followed by native speakers of Italian with comparative ease.
Demonstrate an ability to communicate fluently and accurately in the TL.
High level of aural proficiency.
|Essay (500 words)||10.00|
|Article summary / paraphrase||10.00|
|Book/ Film review - Oral||20.00|
Teaching and Learning Strategy
1 x 1 hour translation class per week for 11 weeks per semester 1 x 1 hour applied language skills class per week for 11 weeks per semester 1 x 1 hour conversation class per week for 11 weeks per semester
- Information retrieval - Able to access different and multiple sources of information
- Inter-personal - Able to question, actively listen, examine given answers and interact sensitevely with others
- Presentation - Able to clearly present information and explanations to an audience. Through the written or oral mode of communication accurately and concisely.
- Teamwork - Able to constructively cooperate with others on a common task, and/or be part of a day-to-day working team
- Argument - Able to put forward, debate and justify an opinion or a course of action, with an individual or in a wider group setting
- Self-awareness & Reflectivity - Having an awareness of your own strengths, weaknesses, aims and objectives. Able to regularly review, evaluate and reflect upon the performance of yourself and others
Pre- and Co-requisite Modules
Courses including this module
Compulsory in courses:
- T117: BA Chinese & Italian with French year 4 (BA/CHIF)
- T118: BA Chinese & Italian with German year 4 (BA/CHIG)
- T119: BA Chinese & Italian with Spanish year 4 (BA/CHIS)
- R916: BA French, German & Italian year 4 (BA/FGI4#)
- R920: French, German and Italian with International Experience year 4 (BA/FGI4IE)
- R918: BA French & Italian with German year 4 (BA/FIG4)
- R919: BA French & Italian with Spanish year 4 (BA/FIS4)
- R917: BA French, Italian & Spanish year 4 (BA/FIS4#)
- R921: BA German & Italian with French year 4 (BA/GIF4)
- R924: BA German & Italian with Spanish year 3 (BA/GIS4)
- R925: BA German, Italian & Spanish year 4 (BA/GIS4#)
- R926: BA Italian & Spanish with French year 3 (BA/ISF4)
- R927: BA Italian & Spanish with German year 3 (BA/ISG4)