Teacher Training Pathway (TTP)
Train to Teach Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) and Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy (MBCT)
The intention of the TTP is to provide a way of training, via a portfolio approach, that is flexible and can be adapted by you to suit your current situation and your pre-existing experience. The TTP will take a minimum of 3–4 years for those who are just beginning on the pathway. For those who already have training and may be already teaching mindfulness-based courses it may take less time. There is however no time limit and we encourage you to develop your learning and experience at a pace that works for you and your life circumstances.
The information below will help you understand the processes of training via the TTP. Please read the handbook and the summaries of each step using the drop-down menus below.
Outline of the Training Pathway
Pre-requisites for application
Pre-requisites to enrolling on the TTP
- Completion of MBCT/MBSR course via 8 weekly classes
- Developing a personal mindfulness practice of at least a 6 - 12 month period, post 8 week course
- Attendance on a mindfulness meditation retreat – 2–4 days
- Reflective writing which forms part of the application process for TTP
If you would like to apply, please fill in an Expression of Interest form so that we have your details. You will be contacted as soon as more spaces become available.
Please download and read the TTP handbook before applying. It will be helpful for you to understand the entire process – even though the end point may seem a way off at the moment!
Your application will include the following elements:
- Details of all training and supervision experience, certificates of attendance for all required courses will form a part of your completed portfolio
- Reflective writing on your experience of your development. (Guidelines 1,000-1,500 words)
Consider questions such as:
- What is it about mindfulness practice that draws me? How am I aware of this?
- Other reflections on personal practice e.g. What is particularly challenging? What intrigues me and keeps me motivated? What do I want to avoid? How has my practice developed ?
- How does practice serve me in times of difficulty?
- Reflections on personal learning process – e.g. experiences of retreat, training, teaching and supervision
- Why do I want to teach?
and for those who are already teaching:
- How do I integrated my personal practice with my teaching?
Elements of part 1 training:
- Completion of Teacher Training Level 1 via Teacher Training Retreat 1 or Teacher Training Course 1
- Supervised teaching of your first MBCT/MBSR 8 week course
- 5 day MBCT or MBSR specialist training
- Further skills training 2 day workshop: Inquiry in Mindfulness Teaching
- Attendance on 4-5 day silent teacher led retreat – with brief report of learning
- Completion of written reflection
- Bibliography of reading and resources
- Supervisors report
Part 1 certificate is a Certificate of Readiness to teach MBSR or MBCT
What does this mean?
Part 1 training develops the skills, attitudes and knowledge required to begin to teach MBSR/MBCT with supervision.
Ideally you will teach your first course as an assistant to a more experienced teacher; this is the most supportive way for you to start. However this isn’t always possible.
For the first one or two courses you are teaching we recommend that you have weekly supervision that begins before your classes start so that you can have some guidance with the participant assessment process, development of your teaching materials and recordings as well as week by week guidance through the course(s).
Following this, supervision should be as much as you need but at least in line with the UK Mindfulness Teachers Level One Certificate. This is a certificate of readiness to begin to teach with supervision.
Successful Completion of Part 1 TTP is required before commencing Part 2
Part 2 has 2 sections:
Part 2 A, is an opportunity to develop experience and confidence in MBSR/MBCT teaching through: further training at level 2, supervised teaching, attendance on retreats, continuing personal practice and engagement with your supervisor.
During part two Part A you are expected to work with your supervisor to reflect on your readiness for teaching skills assessment.
Part 2 A
- Teach a minimum of 3 supervised MBCT/MBSR courses.
- Complete Teacher Training Level 2 (TTR2)
- Attend a 7-day silent, guided mindfulness meditation retreat. Or equivalent.
- Attend 2 day workshop: Group Skills for Mindfulness teachers.
- Supervisors report
- Retreat report
- Reflective writing on part 2 training
Portfolio evidence of TTP Part 2 A (along with successful completion of Part 1) forms the entry requirements for Part 2 B the Module ‘Mindfulness Teachers Professional Pathway’ (MTPP).
Part 2 B
This is an opportunity to have your teaching competence assessed via the MBI-TAC.
It is a 15 credit module at Level 7 (post graduate level). “Mindfulness Teachers Professional Pathway’ (MTPP) requirements:
Registration followed by:
- Attendance on the ‘Professional and Ethical issues for Mindfulness teachers’ one day, workshop in Bangor.
- Submission of a video recording of your teaching of an entire 8 week MBSR or MBCT course
- Submission of a reflective report on teaching the course recorded for assessment.
Costs of the TTP for the 2018-2019 academic year
The rates listed below are approximate costs that will vary depending on how much of the TTP you have already completed. Specific training events will be listed on the Calendar page of our website and we recommend that you check exact costs before booking.
Initial Registration: £150.00
|Initial mentor sessions (2x 30 minutes)||£50 (payment directly to mentor)|
|Ongoing mentors sessions 2 or 3 per year||Approximately £75 (payment directly to mentor)|
Typically people will need two to three mentor sessions during Part 1.
|Level 1 training (TTR1 or TTC1)||£825 + accommodation|
|5 Day Specialist Training (MBSR or MBCT)||£590 + accommodation|
|2 Day Workshop on Mindful Inquiry||£265|
|Supervision fees are paid directly to the supervisor and may therefore vary. A guide to this is £25 per half an hour / £50 per hour||Minimum £300 per annum (based on half an hour supervision each month) We recommend monthly supervision prior to and following from the first course you teach. While teaching your first course we advise five thirty-minute supervisory sessions.|
|Assessment and certificate for Part 1||£200|
|Approximate cost of part 1 training||£2080 + accommodation and supervision|
|Supervision over a minimum of 3 courses in line with the UK network Good Practice Guidelines.||£25 per half hour|
|Level 2 Training (TTR2)||£870 + accommodation|
|Part 2A assessment and certificate||£150|
|2 Day Workshop: Group Dynamics in Mindfulness Teaching||£280|
|Approximate cost of Part 2A||£1300 + accommodation and supervision|
|Registration and completion of the module|
|Approximate cost of Part 2B||£860.00|
- Mindfulness Audio
- CMRP on Facebook and Twitter
- Guidance on registration and assessment process for Teacher Training Pathway TTP Part 2B
- Information about the Teacher Training Pathway (TTP) for those who have completed Teaching 2 on the CMRP Masters programme
- CFM official MBSR curriculum
During your TTP journey you will work with a mentor to support you in navigating the different aspects of training and experience that are necessary to complete the pathway. Following a successful application you will be allocated a mentor.
Completion of the previous level is a prerequisite for successful completion of the next level.