Why study with us?
Why study at the School of Ocean Sciences?
- The School of Ocean Sciences is one of the largest university centres teaching Marine Sciences in Britain and is among the biggest in Europe
- We are situated within a few metres of the sea, ideal for developing your skills in collecting data in estuaries, on the sea shore and at sea
- We have a £3.5m ocean-going research ship called Prince Madog
- The School was rated ‘excellent’ in the most recent UK-wide assessment of teaching quality and
- We gained 4 out of 5 in the Research Assessment Exercise
- Our excellent facilities include tropical marine, temperature marine and freshwater aquaria, an algal culture unit and specialised nutrition and microbiological laboratories.
- Bangor’s location makes it an ideal place to study terrestrial and aquatic habitats, with easy access to both the mountains and the sea for field trips
- Seabird, seal and dolphin populations are resident and accessible for field study
- The teaching laboratories in the School of Ocean Sciences are a few metres from the sea, enabling you to collect marine animals and study them in the laboratory in the same practical period
- We have an innovative approach to teaching – including plenty of ‘hands on’ practical work.
Studying at Bangor
Rated Gold for teaching
We have been awarded a Gold rating, the highest rating possible, for the standarad of our teaching in the Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF) assessment. The TEF assessment took into account teaching quality, learning environment and student outcomes and learning gain. We were judged to deliver consistently outstanding teaching, learning and outcomes for our students and our teaching is of the highest quality found in the UK.
Enjoy a university experience that’s amongst the best in the UK
Take advantage of the Bangor Student Experience with free membership of student clubs and societies, a new international experience programme and employability award scheme.
Award-winning clubs and societies!
Our clubs and societies have been awarded the Silver at the WhatUni Student Choice Awards 2020.
Choose to study in one of the best places in the UK to be a student. Bangor’s location – close to the mountains and the sea - has been described as ‘the best university setting in the UK’.
Bangor is the most affordable place in the UK to be a student (TotalMoney 2019).
Investment in facilities
Benefit from continued investment in facilities and services – with Pontio Arts and Innovation Centre, Halls of Residence, and improved sports facilities amongst recent developments.
We guarantee accommodation for first year students who start their course in September, apply before the deadline and hold Bangor as their Firm Choice.