Why study with us?
Why study at the School of Ocean Sciences?
- The School of Ocean Sciences is one of the largest university centres teaching Marine Sciences in Britain and is among the biggest in Europe
- We are situated within a few metres of the sea, ideal for developing your skills in collecting data in estuaries, on the sea shore and at sea
- We have a £3.5m ocean-going research ship called Prince Madog
- The School was rated ‘excellent’ in the most recent UK-wide assessment of teaching quality and
- We gained 4 out of 5 in the Research Assessment Exercise
- Our excellent facilities include tropical marine, temperature marine and freshwater aquaria, an algal culture unit and specialised nutrition and microbiological laboratories.
- Bangor’s location makes it an ideal place to study terrestrial and aquatic habitats, with easy access to both the mountains and the sea for field trips
- Seabird, seal and dolphin populations are resident and accessible for field study
- The teaching laboratories in the School of Ocean Sciences are a few metres from the sea, enabling you to collect marine animals and study them in the laboratory in the same practical period
- We have an innovative approach to teaching – including plenty of ‘hands on’ practical work.
Studying at Bangor
A top 15 university
The National Student Survey (NSS) results place Bangor amongst the UK’s top 15 universities (excluding specialist institutions) for student satisfaction. This reflects the University’s focus on overall student experience.
Enjoy a university experience that’s amongst the best in the UK
Take advantage of the Bangor Student Experience (ranked in the top 20 in the Times Higher Education Student Experience Survey) with free membership of student clubs and societies, a new international experience programme and employability award scheme.
Award-winning clubs and societies!
Our clubs and societies have been named the best in the UK at the WhatUni Student Choice Awards 2017.
Choose to study in one of the best places in the UK to be a student. Bangor’s location – close to the mountains and the sea - has been described as ‘the best university setting in the UK’.
Investment in facilities
Benefit from continued investment in facilities and services – with an exciting new Arts and Innovation Centre, new Halls of Residence, and improved sports facilities amongst recent developments.
We guarantee accommodation for first year students who apply within the deadline and hold Bangor as a firm choice. Our accommodation has been rated in the Top 5 in the UK at the 2017 WhatUni Student Choice Awards.