Dr Azhdar Karami
Division: Business Studies
Location: Room 0.12, Hen Goleg
Telephone: 01248 38 8350
Senior Lecturer in Strategy and Management
Dr Azhdar Karami is a Senior Lecturer in Strategy and Management. He started his academic career in 1991 when he obtained his MBA and has worked in different teaching posts in overseas universities, University of Bradford, and ultimately as a Senior Lecturer in the Bangor Business School. Azhdar has been and is currently responsible for organizing two modules in undergraduate and two more modules in postgraduate levels at the Bangor Business School. Dr Karami’s research interests include strategic management; entrepreneurship and innovation in SMEs. He has published several books, journal articles and conference papers. His latest book titled “strategy development in entrepreneurial firms” appeared in the book market in late 2007. He has published in a number of leading international peer refereed journals including Journal of Management Development; International Journal of Management and Corporate Governance: International Journal of Business in Society, International Journal of Technology Management, and International Journal of Business Information Systems.
PhD Strategic Management
MRes, PG Diploma, Research Methodology in Management
MBA Master of Business Administration
BA Business Administration
Membership of Professional Bodies:
Member of Editorial Board: Journal of Corporate Ownership and Control
Member of British Academy of Management
Member of Academy of International Business
Member of The Higher Education Academy
Member of Institute for Small Business and Entrepreneurship (ISBE)
Roles within Bangor Business School:
Senior Lecturer in Strategy and Management
Tutor to Postgraduate and Undergraduate students
Director of the PhD Programme in Business and Management
Strategic management, entrepreneurship and innovation
Growth and development strategies in SME sector
Strategic HRM and OB
- ASB-2104 Management and Organizations (Undergraduate)
- ASB-4413 Strategic Management (Postgraduate)
- PhD Supervision
- External Examiner: PhD Programme, at The University of East London, London, UK
- External Examiner: PhD Programme, at The University of Manchester, Manchester, UK
- External Examiner: PhD Programme at Dundee Business School, University of Abertay Dundee, UK.
- External Examiner: PhD Programme at Northampton Business School, Northampton University, UK.
- Moderator, MBA Programme, Informatics, Singapore.
- Moderator, BSc & MBA, Imperial Institute of Higher Education (IIHE), Sri Lanka.
- External Examiner: Research Programme at School of Management, University of Cranfield, UK.
- External Examiner, PhD Programme, Gomal University, Pakistan.
- External Examiner: MSc, Strategic IS Programme at Northampton Business School, Northampton University, UK.
Books and monographs:
Management Research, Custom Publication, Palgrave McMillan, 2011, UK.
Strategy Formulation in Entrepreneurial Firms. Hampshire: Ashgate Publishing Ltd, 2007.
Strategic Management in SMES, (in Russian) Moscow: Mockba Publishers, 2005. (with F. Analoui)
Strategic Management in Small and Medium Enterprises. International Thomson Learning Publication, London, UK, 2003. (with F. Analoui)
Corporate Strategy: Evidence from British Airways, in F. Analoui ‘New Patterns of Human Resource Management’ pp. 49 – 69. Avbury, Ashgate, UK, 2002.
Strategic Management and Business Policy (in Persian), Tehran: Payame Noor University Press, 1995.
- Natural resource abundance, human capital and economic growth in the petroleum exporting countries, Journal of Economic Development, 2010, Vol. 35, No. 3, Pp. 81-102 (with D. Behbudi, and S. Mamipour).
- Critical success factors for inter-firm technological cooperatopn: and empirical study of high-tech SMEs in China, International Journal of Technology Management, Vol. 51, Nos. 2/3/4, 2010, pp. 289-292. (with D. Chen)
Prescriptive entrepreneurship, International Journal of Entrepreneurial Behaviour & Research, 2009, Vol. 15, No. 6. Pp. 619.
Managers of small and medium enterprises: mission statement and enhanced organizational performance, Journal of Management Development, 2009, Vol. 28, No. 6, pp.555-562.
- Motives for and modes of inter-firm technological cooperation: an empirical study of China's high-technology SMEs, International Journal of Business Information Systems, 2008, Vol. 3, No. 6, pp. 624-636. (with D. Chen)
- Does strategic human resource management matter in high-tech sector? Some learning points for SME managers, Corporate Governance: The International Journal of Business in Society, 2008, Vol. 8. No. 1, pp. 7-17. (with B.M. Jones and N. Kakabadse)
- The CEOs Characteristics and their Strategy Development in the UK SME Sector: An empirical study in the UK SMEs Sector, Journal of Management Development, 2006, Vol. 25, No. 3-4, pp. 316-324. (with F. Analoui and N. Kakabadse)
- Research and Knowledge Building in Management Studies: An analysis of methodological preferences, International Journal of Management, 2006, Vol 23, No. 14. pp. 43-53. (with F. Analoui and J. Rowley)
- An Exploration of The Chief Executive Officers’ (CEOs) Perception Of Strategic Management Process: The Case Of British High Tech SMEs, Journal or Corporate Ownership and Control, 2005, Vol. 2, No. 3. pp. 62-69.
- Karami, A. Analoui, F, and Cusworth, W. (2004) Strategic Human Resource Management and Resource-Based Approach: The evidence from the British Manufacturing Industry, Journal of Management Research News, 2004, Vol. 27, No. 6, pp. 50-68.
- CEOs and Development of the Meaningful Mission Statement, International Journal of Corporate Governance, 2002, Vol.2, No. 3, pp. 13-20.
- How Chief Executives’ Perception of the Environment Impact on the Company Performance?, The Journal of Management Development, 2002, Vol.21, No. 4, pp. 290-306. (with F. Analoui)
- Productivity Through Effective Teamwork, Allameh Tabatabaee University, School of Management and Accounting (In Persian), Journal of Management Studies, 1996, Vol. 4, No. 4, pp. 77-89.
- Managers Attitudes to Cost Information, (In Persian) University of Tehran: Journal of Accounting Review, 1996, Vol. 4, No. 14, pp. 146-157.
Selected Conference Papers:
- The relationship between managerial characteristics of CEOs and organizational commitment, change and organizational culture: the evidence from financial holding companies, Taiwan, International Academy of Management and Business Conference, June 20-22, Istanbul, Turkey, (with Shu-Wei, W., and M. Faryabi, 2011).
- An Empirical Study of Entrepreneurship Effect on the productivity Index in Industrial Manufacturing Sector in Iran, International Conference on Innovation and Entrepreneurship, November 11-12, Izmir Economic University, Izmir, Turkey, (with M. Tajvidi, and R. Tajvidi, 2010).
- Strategy formulation process in SMEs, Advanced in Business-Related Scientific Research Conference (ABSRC), 8-10 September, Olbia, Italy, (with H. Izadi, 2010)
- Strategy formulation framework in SMEs: the case of high-tech industry in the UK, 24th British Academy of Management (BAM) conference, 14-16 September, Sheffield University, Sheffield, UK, (with H. Izadi, 2010).
- Strategic Manager and Entrepreneur? A paradox for SMEs, Institute for Small Business & Entrepreneurship Conference, London, UK. (with J. Byast, 2010).
- Designing out failure: Strategy for High Tech SMEs, Institute for Small Business & Entrepreneurship Conference, London, UK, (with J. Byast, 2010).
- Transformational leadership and strategy implementation in public sector, 8th Annual International Conference on Management, 5-8 July 2010, Athens, Greece, (with K. Salem Alsaaedi, 2010).
- Strategy formulation framework in action in small and medium sized enterprises?, International High-Tech Small Firms (HTSF) Conference, Manchester Business School, Manchester University, 28 & 29 May 2009 (with H. Izadi)
- Female entrepreneurs and strategic thinking: the case of service sector in Wales, 32nd Institute for Small Business & Entrepreneurship Conference 3rd – 6th November 2009 – Novas Centre Liverpool, UK. (2009 accepted for publication) (with J. Byast)
- Exploring key features of performance management effectiveness within the United Kingdom public sector, British Academy of Management Conference, 15-17 September 2009 Brighton Centre, Brighton, UK. (2009 accepted for presentation) (with I. Connor)
- The Effectiveness Of Selected Human Resources Management Practices On Organisational Performance And Objectives: A Case Study Of The Libyan Iron And Steel Company, Proceedings Of The 5th International Conference On Innovation & Management, Maastricht, Netherlands, 2008, Dec 10-1, 1vols I And IiPages: 2655-2671. (E.H. Elasfer)
- Chief Executive Officers’ (CEOs) Perception of Strategic Management Process In High Tech SMEs: An Exploratory Study, British Academy of Management Conference, 2008, 9-11 September Majestic Hotel, Harrogate, UK.
- An investigation on environmental scanning and growth strategy in high tech small and medium sized enterprises, High Technology Small Firms Conference, 2008, 21 – 23 May, University of Twente, The Netherlands.
- Critical Success Factors of Inter firm Technological Cooperation: An Empirical Study of China’s High-tech SMEs, International High Technology Small Firms Conference, 2006, 11-14 May Twente University, The Netherlands. (with D. Chen)
- Motives for and modes of inter-firm technological cooperation: An empirical study in China's high-tech SMEs (ID : CE001), 13th International Conference on Industrial Engineering and Engineering Management, August 12-14, Shandong Univ Weihai PEOPLES R CHINA, Conference Proceedings, 2006, Vols 1-5 Pages: 23-29. (with D. Chen)
- The Relationships between Managerial Characteristics of the Business Managers and Strategy Development in the UK SME Sector: an Exploratory Study, British Academy of Management Conference, 2005, 13-15 September, University of Oxford, Oxford, UK.
- Strategic alliance for technological innovation: an empirical study of small and medium enterprises in China, High technology Small Firm Conference, The 13th annual international conference at Manchester Business School, University of Manchester, 2005, 26-27 May, UK. (with D. Chen)
- Nature and Process of Strategic Management in Small and Medium Enterprises: the Evidence from British High Tech Firms, 32nd Annual Conference: Innovation, Change and Competition in International Business, Academy of International Business, 8 to 9 April 2005, University of Bath, UK. (with B.M. Jones)
- Corporate communication and meaningful mission statement, International Business Communication: Past, Present, and Future, ABC 5th Asia Pacific Conference, 28 - 29 March, 2005, Chuo University, Japan.
- Strategic Management of Innovation: A Study of China’s Manufacturing SMEs, International Academy of Management and Business Conference, 2004, 7-11 November, USA. (with D. Chen)
- Building human capital and increasing HR capabilities towards enhanced performance, The Fourth International Conference on Knowledge, Culture, and Change in Organizations, 2004, 3-6 August University of Greenwich, London, UK.
- Environmental scanning and firm performance: The case of SME sector, UK, International Conference on Small and Medium Sized Enterprises in a Global Economy, 6 –7 July 2004 Holiday Villa Subang, Malaysia. (with B.M. Jones)
- How Human Resource Capabilities Affect the organisations’ Performance? The case of Electronic Industry in the UK, The Fifth European Conference on Organizational Knowledge, Learning and Capabilities, Centre of Strategic Management & Leadership, University of Innsbruck, 2004, April 1-3, Innsbruck, Austria.