Professor Jonathan Williams
Division: Financial Studies
Location: Room 1.01, Hen Goleg
Telephone: 01248 38 2642
Head of Bangor Business School and Professor of Banking and Finance
Professor Jonathan Williams is Professor of Banking and Finance. He holds an Honorary Fellowship for Teaching from Bangor University.
Jonathan’s current research interests focus on bankers’ pay, risk-taking and bank efficiency; performance characteristics of family-owned firms; and the effects of diversification upon risk. He is known for his early work on European savings banks with published works on management behaviour; bank efficiency; regional banking; technical change and productivity; and economies of scale. His more recent work centres on financial liberalisation in banking sectors in the emerging markets, and includes studies of bank restructuring; market power and competition; bank privatisation; foreign bank entry; governance; and mergers and acquisitions.
Professor Williams is a contributor to major banking sector studies commissioned by the European Commission, UK Treasury, and the Spanish Savings Banks Foundation amongst others.
Roles within Bangor Business School
- Head of School
- Taught modules: International Banking, Banking and Development (Graduate level); Comparative Banking (Undergraduate)
Qualifications/Memberships of professional bodies
PhD (Economics), University of Wales
MA Banking and Finance, University of Wales
BA (HONS) Economics, University of Wales
"Bank diversification and financial conglomerates in Europe”, (with P. Dontis-Charitos, S. Staikouras), in Beck, T., Casu, B. (eds), The Palgrave Handbook of European Banking.
“Banking and Financial Systems in Brazil”, in G. Vento, Banking in Latin America: After the Great Financial Crisis, Palgrave Macmillan (forthcoming)
Papers under revision/in progress
- “Determinants of Firm Performance: Dynamics between CEO Education and Experience”, (with T.P. King and A. Srivastav)
- “Long-term bank performance: what influence for efficiency, risk, education and CEO pay?”, (with T. King and M.M. Uddin)
- “Corporate governance effects on value and risk-taking: Evidence from Mexico”, (with J. Poletti-Hughes)
- “Privatisation and liberalisation: A case of Mexican banking”, (with S.P. Chakravarty)
- “Transparency on corporate governance reporting and board of directors' strategies”, (with J. Poletti-Hughes and G. Briano)
- “What’s in an education? Implications of CEO education for bank performance” (with T. King; A. Srivastav), Journal of Corporate Finance, 37, 287-308, 2016.
- “Diversification, size and risk: the case of bank acquisitions of nonbank financial firms”, (with B. Casu, P. Dontis-Charitos and S. Staikouras), European Financial Management, 2015 doi: 10.1111/eufm.12061
- “Electronic banking”, in Cooper, C.L. (ed.), The Blackwell Encyclopaedia of Management – Vol. IV Finance (Paudyal, K., ed.), Third Edition, Blackwell Publishing, Blackwell Reference Online. 15 June 2015
- “Banking in Latin America” (with L.F. de Paula and F. Carvalho), in A. Berger, P. Molyneux and J. Wilson (eds), The Oxford Handbook of Banking, Oxford University Press, second edition, 2015 (pp. 984-1016)
- “Rationalizing the Value Premium in Emerging Markets”, (with M.S. Ebrahim, S. Girma, M.E. Shah), Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money 29, 51-70, 2014.
- “Dynamic Capital Structure under Political Patronage: The case of Malaysia”, (with M.S. Ebrahim, S. Girma, M.E. Shah), International Review of Financial Analysis 31, 117-128, 2014.
- “Dealing with Cross-Firm Heterogeneity in Bank Efficiency Estimates: Some evidence from Latin America”, (with J. Goddard and P. Molyneux), Journal of Banking and Finance 40, 13-142, 2014.
- “The random parameters stochastic frontier cost function and the effectiveness of public policy: Evidence from bank restructuring in Mexico”, (with C.P. Barros), International Review of Financial Analysis 30, 98-108, 2013.
- “Bank restructuring and bank stability in Latin America”, (with N. Vo), in J. Fernández de Guevara Radoselovics, J. Pastor Monsálvez (eds), Bank Behaviour in Modern Banking, Palgrave Macmillan, 2013 (pp. 48-67).
- “Bank efficiency in Latin America”, (with P. Molyneux), Efficiency and Productivity Growth: Modelling in the Financial Services Industry, edited by Fotios Pasiouras, John Wiley & Sons, 2013 (pp. 1-18).
- “Financial market integration in ASEAN stock markets” (with T.C. Hua)
- “Efficiency and market power in Latin American banking”, Journal of Financial Stability 8, 4, 263-276, 2012
- “The Luenberger indicator and productivity growth: A note on the European savings banks sector” (with N. Peypoch, C. Barros), Applied Economics 43, 6, 747-755
- “A note on productivity change in European co-operative banks: The Luenberger indicator approach”, (with N. Peypoch, C. Barros), International Review of Applied Economics 24, 2, 137-147, 2010
- “What does bank financial profile tells us about mergers and acquisitions in Latin American banking?” (with F. Cardias Williams), in F. Fiordelisi, P. Molyneux, D. Previati (eds), New Issues in Financial Institutions Management, Palgrave Macmillan, 2010 (pp. 153-170)
- “Banking in Latin America” (with L.F. de Paula and F. Carvalho), in A. Berger, P. Molyneux and J. Wilson (eds), The Oxford Handbook of Banking, Oxford University Press, 2009 (pp. 868-902)
- “The search for value: Cross-border bank M&A in emerging markets” (with A. Liao), Comparative Economics Studies 50, 274-296, 2008
- “Are European savings banks too small? A comparison of scale economies and scale efficiency”, Journal of Financial Decision Making 4, 2, 45-58, 2008
- “Does ownership explain bank M&A? The case of domestic banks and foreign banks in Brazil” (with F. Cardias Williams), in P. Arestis and L.F. de Paula (eds), Financial Liberalization and Economic Performance in Emerging Countries, Palgrave Macmillan 2008 (pp. 194-216)
- “Cross-border bank M&A in emerging markets - value creation or destruction?” (with A. Liao), in P. Molyneux and E. Vallelado (eds), Frontiers of Banks in a Global World, Palgrave Macmillan, 2008 (pp. 54-77)
- “Analysing the determinants of performance of best and worst European banks: A mixed logit approach” (with C. Barros, C. Ferreira), Journal of Banking and Finance 31, 2189-2203, 2007
- “The Financial System in Asia and Australia” (with N. Nguyen), Papeles de Economica Espanola 110, 116-144, 2007
- “How significant is the alleged unfair advantage enjoyed by State-owned banks in Germany?” (with Shanti Chakravarty), Cambridge Journal of Economics, 30, 2, 219-226, 2006
- “Beginning to think about Need: Public Spending in the Regions” (with R. Mackay), Regional Studies 39, 6, 815-828, 2005
- “The productivity of European co-operative banks” (with P. Molyneux), Managerial Finance, 31, 11, 26-35, 2005
- “Financial liberalisation, crisis and restructuring: A comparative study of bank performance and bank governance in South East Asia” (with N. Nguyen), Journal of Banking and Finance 29, 8-9, 2119-2154, 2005
- “Electronic banking”, in Garrett, I. (ed), The Blackwell Encyclopedia of Management - Finance, Second Edition, 2005
- “Bad luck or bad management: Management behaviour in European banking”, Journal of Banking and Finance, 28, 10, 2427-2460, 2004
- “Volatility transmission and changes in stock market interdependence in the European Community” (with A. Liao), European Review of Economics and Finance 3, 3, 203-231, 2004
- “The Efficiency of European Regional Banking” (with E. Gardener), Regional Studies 37, 4, 321-330, 2003
- “A Note on Technical Change in Banking: The Case of European Savings Banks” (with S. Carbo, E. Gardener), Applied Economics 35, 705-719, 2003
- “The competitiveness of regional banking in the Europe of the euro” in Donges, J.B., (ed.), The financial system in the Europe of the euro, ICO Foundation (Spain), 2003
- “Competitive Banking in the EU and Euroland” (with E. Gardener, P. Molyneux), in Mullineux, A., Murinde, V., (eds), Handbook of International Banking, Edward Elgar, 2003
- “Efficiency in Banking: Empirical Evidence from the Savings Banks Sector” (with S. Carbo, E. Gardener), The Manchester School 70, 2, March, 204-228, 2002
- “Financial liberalisation and the profit efficiency of domestic-owned and foreign-owned banks in Thailand” (with T. Intarachote), University of Wales, Bangor, 2002
- “Financial deregulation and productivity change in European banking”, Revue de la Banque, December, 470-477, 2001
- “Institutional investment flows and the regions of the UK: a case for a new financial infrastructure?” in Gardener, E., Versliys, P., (eds) Bank Strategies and Challenges in the New Europe, Macmillan, 2001
- “The Size and Growth of Banks: Evidence from Four European Countries” (with J. Wilson), Applied Economics 32, 9, June, 1101-1109, 2000
- “Efficiency and technical change in Europe's Savings Banks Industry” (with S. Carbo, E. Gardener), Revue de la Banque, 64, 6, 381-94, 2000
- “La UEM y el Sistema Bancario Europeo” (with E. Gardener, P. Molyneux), Papeles de Economica Espanola 84-85, 2000
- “Stakeholder Value in European Savings Banks” (with S. Carbo), in Schuster, L., (ed.) Shareholder Value Management in Banking, Macmillan, 2000
- “Adaptive Strategies by European Savings Banks: A Case Study of Spain” (with S. Carbo, E. Gardener, P. Molyneux), in Gardener, E., Falzon, J., (eds) Strategic Challenges in European Banking, Macmillan, 2000
- “The New Retail Banking Revolution” (with E. Gardener, B. Howcroft), The Service Industries Journal 19, 2, April, 83-100, 1999
- “El futuro de las Cajas de Ahorros en el Mercado Unico de la Union Europea” (with E. Gardener, S. Carbo, P. Molyneux), Papeles de Economica Espanola 74/75, 1998
- “European Savings Banks: Facing up to the New Environment” (with E. Gardener, S. Carbo, P. Molyneux), International Journal of Bank Marketing 15, 7, 243-254, 1997. (Awarded a Literata prize.)
- “El impacto de la union monetaria europea sobre las estrategias de bancos y cajas de ahorros de la Union Europea” (with E. Gardener, Philip Molyneux). Perspectivas del Sistema Financiero 60, 31-40, 1997
- “British bank strategies: balancing customer needs and supply-side pressures” (with E. Gardener), in Schuster, L., (ed.), Banking Cultures of the World, Fritz Knapp Verlag, 591-612, 1996
- “The UK's offshore banking centres” (with E. Gardener), in Schuster, L., (ed.), Banking Cultures of the World, Fritz Knapp Verlag, 613-617, 1996
Research Students Supervisor:
- Timothy King – Executive compensation and bank risk-taking (Completed July 2013)
- Surraya Rowe - Bank credit ratings (joint supervision with O. ap Gwilym) (Completed December 2014)
- Irena Huang – Size and liquidity at banks in China (with R. Xie)
- Nia Wyn Williams - M&A in Banking (with J. Thornton)
- Livia Pancotto – Towards Banking Union in Europe: Evidence from the CDS Market (with O. ap Gwilym)
- Kholoud Alawadhi – Liquidity risk at Islamic banks (with R. Xie)
- Shanti Ottemusu – Geography and bank performance in Indonesia (with R. ap Gwilym)
- Saja Younis – State-ownership and bank privatisation in Iraq (with K. Nikolopoulos)
- Kelly Cai – Gender diversity and performance (with John Ashton)
- International Banking (ASB-4411)
Banking and Development (ASB-4409)
- Comparative Banking (ASB-2505/3505)
Editorial Board Membership:
Member of the PhD Academic Board of Marconi University, Italy
European Review of Economics and Finance
Member of Scientific Committee of the new working paper series of the Department of Business Studies (DSI) of the University of Rome "Tor Vergata"
- Cardiff University; Cass Business School; University of Essex; University of Granada; Universidad Complutense, Madrid; University of Leicester; University of South Australia; University of Southampton; Strathclyde University; Coventry University.
External examiner for taught degrees: ICMA Centre, Henley Business School, University of Reading; BSc (Hons) Finance and Investment Banking, from 2013; European Business School London, Regent’s University; MSc Global Banking and Finance, 2009-2013; Isle of Man International Business School; BA (Hons) Business Studies, BA (Hons) Business Management, 2009-2012
Keynote addresses, and other prestigious guest presentations:
Keynote speaker – CIEF conference on European Integration and Banking Efficiency, Lisbon (2003); invited guest speaker – World Bank conference on Bank Privatisation in Low and Middle Income Countries (2003), Deutsche Bundesbank (2003), Oxford Centre for Brazilian Studies conference on Financial Liberalization and Economic Performance (2006) Brazilian Studies conference on Financial Liberalization and Economic Performance (2006)