Dr Sonya Hanna
Location: Room 1.14, Hen Goleg
Telephone: 01248 38 8077
Lecturer in Marketing
Sonya Hanna joined Bangor Business School in September 2013 as a Lecturer in Marketing prior to which she was a postgraduate teaching and research assistant at the university where she taught Marketing Research. She was awarded her PhD thesis in Place Branding at Bangor University in July 2011. Her thesis develops and empirically tests a theoretical model of strategic place brand management to explain the process of branding geographical entities (towns, cities, regions). Sonya’s current research explores place branding further looking in greater detail at the components of the strategic process.
- PhD in Strategic Place Brand Management - Bangor University
- PGCertHE – Bangor University
- MBA in General Management – Bangor University
- LLB (Hons) in Law – Sheffield Hallam University
Sonya’s research interests are focused on place branding and in particular the process of strategic place brand management, considering place brand communications in the digital arena and looking at the development of brand architecture and the alignment of stakeholder objectives and negotiations by leadership. Her other interests lie in the categorisation of stakeholder roles and how they provide the brand experience considering public encounters.
- Towards a model of the Place Brand Web (2015), Tourism Management, 48, pp.100-112.
- A Practitioner-Led Strategic Place Brand Management Model (2013), Journal of Marketing Management, 29 (15-16), pp. 1782-1815.
- Place Brand Practitioners Perspectives on the Management and Evaluation of the Brand Experience (2013), Town Planning Review, 84 (4) pp. 495-515.
- Using Card-based Games to Enhance the Value of Semi-structured Interviews (2012), International Journal of Market Research, 54 (1), pp. 93-110.
- Practitioners Views on the Essence of Place Brand Management (2012), Journal of Place Branding and Public Diplomacy, 8 (2), pp. 102-109
- Ten Difficult Steps towards Enhancing your Place’s Reputation (April 2012), The Journal of the Town and Country Planning Association, (access at: http://www.tcpa.org.uk/pages/our-journal.html)
- Towards a Strategic Place Brand Management Model (2011), Journal of Marketing Management, 27 (5-6), 458-476.
- An Analysis of Terminology Use in Place Branding (2008), Journal of Place Branding and Public Diplomacy, 4 (1), pp. 61-75
- The Role of Place Brand Websites in Defining Place Personality.
- Re-thinking Strategic Place Branding in the Digital Age.
Conference Papers and Attendance
- Hanna, S., and Rowley, J. (2016), "Social Media in Place Branding: a review", The International Place Branding Association Conference.
CELT Learning and Teaching conference (2016), Bangor University.
Hanna, S., and Rowley, J. (2013), "Brand Architecture in Place Branding", 3rd International Place Management and Branding Conference.
Hanna, S., and Rowley, J. (2012), "Place Brand Practitioners Perspectives on the Management of Brand Experience", Academy of Marketing Conference.
Hanna, S., and Rowley, J. (2011), "A Practitioner Led Strategic Place Brand Management Model", Academy of Marketing Conference.
Hanna, S. (2007), "Objectives and Processes in Place Branding", Academy of Marketing Conference.
Regeneration through Re-branding (2006), Haymarket Conferences.
Hanna, S., and Rowley, J - "Do Places have a Personality? A perspective from Place Branding" in Strategic Place Branding Methodologies and Theory for Tourism Attraction (Advances in Hospitality, Tourism, and the Service Industry), Editors: Bayraktar, A., and Uslay, C. Publisher: Business Science Reference (IGI Global) (2016).
Hanna, S., and Rowley, J – "Re-thinking Strategic Place Branding in the Digital Age" in Rethinking Place Branding: comprehensive brand development for cities and regions, Editors: Kavaratzis, M, Warnaby, G, and Ashworth, G. Publisher: Springer, (2014).
- Outstanding Reviewer for Journal of Place Management and Development: Emerald Literati Awards (2017).
- Centre for the Enhancement of Learning: CELT Associate Award (2016).
- Academy of Marketing Conference: Best in Track Award (Tourism Track), Hanna, S., and Rowley, J. (2012) “Place Brand Practitioners Perspectives on the Management of Brand Experience".
- Marketing Strategy and Management (3rd year undergraduate)
- E-Marketing (3rd year undergraduate)
- International Marketing (MBA postgraduate)
- UG and PG dissertation supervision,
- PhD supervision,
- Personal Tutor to UG and PG students,
- Assistant co-ordinator of PG dissertation,
- General provision of academic and pastoral care for postgraduate and undergraduate students
- The Place Brand Observer (portal and think blog) - "Strategic Place Brand Management" (2016)
- Member of the Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM)
- Member of the Institute of Place Management (AIPM)