Research and Study Skills
Research and Study Skills (Cambria) 2023-24
Ysgol Cyfrifiadureg a Pheirianneg Electronig
Modiwl - Semester 1 a 2
Indicative content includes:
● Academic writing including essays and reports with reference to how they are structured and compiled using appropriate language.
● Use of academic conventions within work, notably Harvard citation and referencing.
● Information research using appropriate resources such as MOODLE, the University Online Library, Grŵp e-resources via Athens such as Infotrac and methods of recording research effectively.
● Legal aspects of academic writing: such as plagiarism and copyright practices.
● Reflective writing and practice, including theories and models that underpin such practice and the importance of reflective practice to learning.
● Time management including effective planning and prioritisation of tasks.
-threshold -Equivalent to 40%.Uses key areas of theory or knowledge to meet the Learning Outcomes of the module. Is able to formulate an appropriate solution to accurately solve tasks and questions. Can identify individual aspects, but lacks an awareness of links between them and the wider contexts. Outputs can be understood, but lack structure and/or coherence.
-good -Equivalent to the range 60%-69%.Is able to analyse a task or problem to decide which aspects of theory and knowledge to apply. Solutions are of a workable quality, demonstrating understanding of underlying principles. Major themes can be linked appropriately but may not be able to extend this to individual aspects. Outputs are readily understood, with an appropriate structure but may lack sophistication.
-excellent -Equivalent to the range 70%+.Assemble critically evaluated, relevant areas of knowledge and theory to constuct professional-level solutions to tasks and questions presented. Is able to cross-link themes and aspects to draw considered conclusions. Presents outputs in a cohesive, accurate, and efficient manner.
- Demonstrate the ability to retrieve relevant information from a range of sources and to
reference it appropriately.
- Demonstrate understanding and use of theories and models of reflection and an awareness of the value of reflection to learning.
- Explain how research informs and can enhance practice.
- Provide evidence of effective academic writing in a range of forms and the appropriate use of academic conventions.
Individual research report or case study on atopic discussed in agreement with the assessor and employer. Referencing to be included in Harvard format.
Recorded professional discussion relating to research activities undertaken.
Individual essay on how research informs practice