Gegenwartssprache I (3 Major)
Run by School of Arts, Culture and Language
20.000 Credits or 10.000 ECTS Credits
Organiser: Prof Carol Tully
Overall aims and purpose
- To consolidate and expand on students' knowledge of German grammar and vocabulary.
- To develop translation skills into and out of the target language, and skills in manipulation of written German.
- To develop oral and aural skills.
- To familiarise students with lexis relevant to their forthcoming residence abroad, and other sociocultural contexts.
Students on this module will be working towards achieving B2 on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR), with Post-Beginner students working towards achieving B1 on the Common European Framework. Post-Beginner students receive on extra contact hour per week.
This module deepens students' command of the written language through translation, text and essay work. Emphasis will be placed on a secure grasp of structures and sensitivity to register. Oral proficiency will be fostered through discussions of contemporary issues in the German-speaking world with students' presentations on various topics. In order to prepare students for their year abroad, key topics will be covered, university life in Germany and Austria, and general 'Landeskunde'. Students will also be required to read and review two short novels in order to expand their vocabulary and improve their grasp of grammatical structures.
50-69%: A good knowledge of vocabulary and grammar and a good ability to translate and manipulate a variety of textual material. Good oral and aural competence.
70+%: An excellent knowledge of vocabulary and grammar and an excellent ability to translate and otherwise manipulate texts, with a firm understanding of register. Excellent oral and aural competence.
40-49%: A limited knowledge of vocabulary and grammar and a limited ability to translate and paraphrase the prescribed range of texts. Basic oral and aural competence.
Demonstrate an increased proficiency in translation, essay-writing, comprehension and oral skills.
Demonstrate greater grammatical accuracy, more advanced vocabulary and an appreciation of register and nuance.
Display greater confidence in the presentation of oral reports (Referat) and general discussion.
|EXAM||Written exam (1 hour)||30.00|
|AURAL||Listening Comprehension Test||20.00|
|LOGBOOK OR PORTFOLIO||Self-Study Portfolio||0.00|
Teaching and Learning Strategy
1 hour x grammar per week for 11 weeks 1 hour x writing skills per week for 11 weeks 1 hour x conversation skills per week for 11 weeks
Extra tutorial for beginners
- Literacy - Proficiency in reading and writing through a variety of media
- Self-Management - Able to work unsupervised in an efficient, punctual and structured manner. To examine the outcomes of tasks and events, and judge levels of quality and importance
- Exploring - Able to investigate, research and consider alternatives
- Information retrieval - Able to access different and multiple sources of information
- Inter-personal - Able to question, actively listen, examine given answers and interact sensitevely with others
- Critical analysis & Problem Solving - Able to deconstruct and analyse problems or complex situations. To find solutions to problems through analyses and exploration of all possibilities using appropriate methods, rescources and creativity.
- Presentation - Able to clearly present information and explanations to an audience. Through the written or oral mode of communication accurately and concisely.
- Teamwork - Able to constructively cooperate with others on a common task, and/or be part of a day-to-day working team
- Argument - Able to put forward, debate and justify an opinion or a course of action, with an individual or in a wider group setting
- Self-awareness & Reflectivity - Having an awareness of your own strengths, weaknesses, aims and objectives. Able to regularly review, evaluate and reflect upon the performance of yourself and others
Talis Reading listhttp://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/lzg-2020.html
Pre- and Co-requisite Modules
Courses including this module
Compulsory in courses:
- R916: BA French, German & Italian year 2 (BA/FGI4#)
- R920: French, German and Italian with International Experience year 2 (BA/FGI4IE)
- R912: BA French, German & Spanish year 2 (BA/FGS4#)
- R91F: BA French, German & Spanish [with Foundation Year] year 2 (BA/FGS4#F)
- R925: BA German, Italian & Spanish year 2 (BA/GIS4#)