Genres & Composers A
Genres & Composers A 2022-23
School Of Arts, Culture And Language
Module - Semester 1
At least three topics will be offered; students choose one of these. The choice of topics varies from year to year. The following list is indicative of the variety of options that may be available across Genres & Composers A, B, C and D. It is not exhaustive. The topics for 2019-20 are indicated below with an asterisk.
- The Ballets Russes
- The Beatles
- Beethoven and the String Quartet
- Brazilian Music and Culture
- Bush and Björk
- Cage and Experimental Music
- Debussy and Ravel
- From Dufay to Josquin
- Manuel de Falla
- Michael Nyman
- Music Revivals
- Opera: Monteverdi to Mozart
- Post-War British Opera
- Seven Jazz Women
- The 19th-Century Symphony
- The 20th-Century Symphony
- Three Contemporary Welsh Composers: Metcalf, Samuel and Barrett*
- Tonality Today*
- The Violin in World Culture*
-threshold -D– to D: Work which displays basic knowledge of the subject, with some limited ability in conceptual and critical thinking, expressed intelligibly.
-good -B– to B+: Work which displays a good grasp of the subject, with evidence of strong ability at conceptual and critical thinking, expressed engagingly.
-excellent -A– to A**: Work which displays a thorough grasp of the subject, with evidence of depth and originality in conceptual and critical thinking, expressed convincingly.
-another level-C– to C+: Work which displays fair knowledge of the subject, with satisfactory ability at conceptual and critical thinking, expressed understandably.
- On completion of this module, the student should be able to apply skills of musical analysis, source-based research, and critical thinking in relation to the music studied.
- On completion of this module, the student should be able to communicate ideas about the music studied effectively.
- On completion of this module, the student should be able to demonstrate and apply a detailed knowledge and understanding of specific subjects in music history and culture.