Italian Language 2 (Minor)
Run by School of Languages, Literatures, Linguistics and Media
20.000 Credits or 10.000 ECTS Credits
Semester 1 & 2
Organiser: Dr Silvia Bergamini
Overall aims and purpose
- To consolidate key areas of advanced grammar.
- To further develop advanced test translation skills into and out of the target language.
- To promote appropriate use of style and register in written work.
- To develop and refine advanced skills in structured formal essay writing and paraphrasing tasks.
Students on this module will be working towards achieving C1/C2 on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR)
This 20 credit module running throughout the year promotes appropriate use of style and register in all written work and ensures that students can deal with variations in register and idiomatic expression in a confident and accurate manner. Through exposure to selected texts and complex grammatical structures, students acquire reading and writing skills which match the required standard of final year linguists.
Webpages: www.rainews.it www.repubblica.it
Any other learning resources: Writing classes dossier; Translation classes dossier.
40-49%: A limited knowledge of vocabulary and grammar and a limited ability to translate and paraphrase the prescribed range of texts.
50-69%: A good knowledge of vocabulary and grammar and a good ability to translate and paraphrase the prescribed range of texts.
70+%: An excellent knowledge of vocabulary and grammar and an excellent ability to translate and paraphrase the prescribed range of texts.
Demonstrate in essay and translation work a sophisticated command of both the target language and English/Welsh that is alive to the rhetorical range of both languages.
To read and understand complex texts varying in style, tone and register and comment on these texts in a concise and fluent manner.
|In class essay||25.00|
|In class article summary||25.00|
|Final translation exam||50.00|
Teaching and Learning Strategy
1 x 1 hour translation class per week for 11 weeks per semester 1 x 1 hour applied language skills class per week for 11 weeks per semester
- Self-Management - Able to work unsupervised in an efficient, punctual and structured manner. To examine the outcomes of tasks and events, and judge levels of quality and importance
- Information retrieval - Able to access different and multiple sources of information
- Inter-personal - Able to question, actively listen, examine given answers and interact sensitevely with others
- Presentation - Able to clearly present information and explanations to an audience. Through the written or oral mode of communication accurately and concisely.
- Teamwork - Able to constructively cooperate with others on a common task, and/or be part of a day-to-day working team
- Argument - Able to put forward, debate and justify an opinion or a course of action, with an individual or in a wider group setting
- Self-awareness & Reflectivity - Having an awareness of your own strengths, weaknesses, aims and objectives. Able to regularly review, evaluate and reflect upon the performance of yourself and others
Pre- and Co-requisite Modules
Courses including this module
Compulsory in courses:
- T112: BA Chinese & French with Italian year 4 (BA/CHFI)
- T115: BA Chinese & German with Italian year 4 (BA/CHGI)
- T122: BA Chinese & Spanish with Italian year 4 (BA/CHSI)
- R901: BA French & German with Italian year 4 (BA/FGI4)
- R915: BA French & Spanish with Italian year 4 (BA/FSI4)
- R923: BA German & Spanish with Italian year 4 (BA/GSI4)