Run by School of Languages, Literatures and Linguistics
20 Credits or 10 ECTS Credits
Organiser: Ms Iria Aboi Ferradas
Overall aims and purpose
- To consolidate and expand on the contents delivered in LXS2028 by looking at more advanced aspects of Galician syntax, morphology and phonetics.
- To encourage the students' awareness not only of the existence but of the instrumentality of Spain's co-official languages.
Students on this module will be working towards achieving B1 on the Common European Framework of Referencer for Languages (CEFR).
This module aims to consolidate the students' previously acquired basic knowledge of the Galician language through the study of advanced areas of grammar (verbal tenses and moods, discursive links, etc), idiomatic register, and general vocabulary. Through selected in-class texts, students will also be introduced to Galician culture, literature, and sociolinguistics. The course is highly recommended for students who intend to do their year abroad (or part of it) in the historical city of Santiago de Compostela (the capital of Galicia) and its university.
Books: Boullón Agrelo, Ana; Monteagudo Romero, Henrique; García Cancela, Xermán, Diccionario normativo Galego-Castelán (Vigo: Galaxia, 1994). Gómez Guinovart, Xavier, Dicionario moderno inglés-galego (Vigo: 2.0 editora, 2012) Miguélez-Carballeira, Helena (ed), A Companion to Galician Culture (Woodbridge: Tamesis, 2014). Normas ortográficas e morfolóxicas do idioma galego (Vigo: Real Academia Galega & Instituto da Lingua Galega, 2004). Pérez Barreiro, Servando, Dicionario completo galego-inglés, inglés-galego (Vigo: Cardeñoso).
Webpages: Dictionary English-Galician, Galego-Inglés: http://sli.uvigo.es/dicionario/index.html Galician dictionary by the Real Academia Galega: http://www.realacademiagalega.org Linguakit: https://linguakit.com/full_analysis Online newspaper Novas da Galiza: http://www.novasgz.com/ Online newspaper Praza Pública: http://praza.com/ Online newspaper Sermos Galiza: http://www.sermosgaliza.com/ Online TV Ano Cero: http://galizaanocero.tv/ Online TV Irmandade TV: http://www.irmandade.tv/ Radio Televisión de Galicia: http://www.crtvg.es
D- - D+: For the award of credit, students should demonstrate a satisfactory comprehension of the various grammatical areas studied, and an ability to implement them at a basic level.
C- - B+: For the award of higher grades, students should demonstrate a solid comprehension of the various grammatical areas studied, and an ability to comprehend and produce the language confidently.
A- - A*: For the award of the highest grade, students should demonstrate a detailed comprehension of the various grammatical areas studied and should demonstrate that considerable independent work has been done with a view to reaching an advanced knowledge of the language.
Demonstrate an understanding of the main aspects of the Galician literature, music and media.
Read and understand Galician texts with confidence and critical awareness.
Communicate competently in Galician.
Demonstrate an ability to produce extended creative pieces of writing in Galician, using an extended spectrum of verbal tenses, vocabulary, and advanced grammatical constructions.
|1 (one grammar exercise)||15|
|2 (one grammar test)||10|
|(One translation into English)||10|
Teaching and Learning Strategy
1 grammar-focused seminar per week for 11 weeks 1 seminar on cultural content per week for 11 weeks 1 oral skills seminar per week for 11 weeks
- Literacy - Proficiency in reading and writing through a variety of media
- Inter-personal - Able to question, actively listen, examine given answers and interact sensitevely with others
- Teamwork - Able to constructively cooperate with others on a common task, and/or be part of a day-to-day working team
Subject specific skills
- The ability to use the target language creatively and precisely in short written assignments in the target language. (Benchmark statement 5.14)
- The ability to translate short passages into and out of the target language. (Benchmark statement 5.3, 5.4)
- Effective oral communication and presentation skills (including delivery and argument development, discussion and defence) in the target language through individual and/or group discussions. (Benchmark statement 5.3, 5.4)
- The ability to use the target language creatively and precisely in oral assignments, showing familiarity with a range of topics and registers in formal and informal situations. (Benchmark statement 5.3, 5.4)
- The ability to read, understand and summarise written texts in the target language. (Benchmark statement 5.3, 5.4)
Pre- and Co-requisite Modules
Courses including this module
Optional in courses:
- NR44: BA Accounting/Spanish year 2 (BA/ASP)
- NR34: BA Banking/Spanish year 2 (BA/BSP)
- NR1K: BA Business Studies and Spanish year 2 (BA/BUSSS)
- T107: BA Chinese and Spanish year 2 (BA/CHSP)
- MR94: BA Criminology/Spanish year 2 (BA/CRSP)
- WR94: BA Spanish & Creative Studies year 2 (BA/CSTSP)
- LR14: BA Economics/Spanish year 2 (BA/ECSP)
- 3YT5: BA English Literature and Spanish year 2 (BA/ELIS)
- QR3K: BA English Language and Spanish year 2 (BA/ELSP)
- RR14: BA French and Spanish year 2 (BA/FS4#)
- PR34: BA Film Studies and Spanish year 2 (BA/FSSPAN4)
- RR24: BA German/Spanish (4 years) year 2 (BA/GS)
- 8Y64: BA German and Spanish (with International Experience) year 2 (BA/GSIE)
- RV41: BA History/Spanish year 2 (BA/HSP)
- QR14: BA Linguistics/Spanish year 2 (BA/LSP)
- NR54: BA Marketing and Spanish (4 year) year 2 (BA/MKTSP)
- WR34: BA Music/Spanish year 2 (BA/MUSP)
- VVR4: BA Philosophy and Religion and Spanish year 2 (BA/PRS)
- RR43: BA Spanish/Italian year 2 (BA/SI)
- R400: BA Spanish year 2 (BA/SP4)
- R4N1: BA Spanish with Business Studies year 2 (BA/SPBS)
- T110: BA Spanish with Chinese year 2 (BA/SPCH)
- R4W8: BA Spanish with Creative Writing year 2 (BA/SPCW)
- QR54: BA Spanish/Cymraeg year 2 (BA/SPCY)
- R4R1: BA Spanish with French year 2 (BA/SPFR)
- R4R2: BA Spanish with German year 2 (BA/SPG)
- R4R3: BA Spanish with Italian year 2 (BA/SPI)
- R4P5: BA Spanish with Journalism year 2 (BA/SPJO)
- R4N5: BA Spanish with Marketing year 2 (BA/SPMKT)
- R4P3: BA Spanish with Media Studies year 2 (BA/SPMS)
- CR6K: BA Spanish/Sports Science year 2 (BA/SPSSC)