Dr Azhdar Karami
Senior Lecturer in Banking & Finance
Division: Business Studies
Location: Room 0.12, Hen Goleg
Telephone: 01248 38 8350
Senior Lecturer in Strategy and Management
Dr Azhdar Karami is a Senior Lecturer in Strategy and Management. He started his academic career in 1991 when he obtained his MBA and has worked in different teaching posts in overseas universities, University of Bradford, and ultimately as a Senior Lecturer in the Bangor Business School. Azhdar has been and is currently responsible for organizing two modules in undergraduate and two more modules in postgraduate levels at the Bangor Business School. Dr Karami’s research interests include strategic management; entrepreneurship and innovation in SMEs. He has published several books, journal articles and conference papers. His latest book titled “strategy development in entrepreneurial firms” appeared in the book market in late 2007. He has published in a number of leading international peer refereed journals including Journal of Management Development; International Journal of Management and Corporate Governance: International Journal of Business in Society, International Journal of Technology Management, and International Journal of Business Information Systems.
PhD Strategic Management
MRes, PG Diploma, Research Methodology in Management
MBA Master of Business Administration
BA Business Administration
Membership of Professional Bodies:
Member of Editorial Board: Journal of Corporate Ownership and Control
Member of British Academy of Management
Member of Academy of International Business
Member of The Higher Education Academy
Member of Institute for Small Business and Entrepreneurship (ISBE)
Roles within Bangor Business School:
Senior Lecturer in Strategy and Management
Tutor to Postgraduate and Undergraduate students
Director of the PhD Programme in Business and Management
- ASB-2104 Management and Organizations (Undergraduate)
- ASB-4413 Strategic Management (Postgraduate)
- PhD Supervision
- External Examiner: PhD Programme, at The University of East London, London, UK
- External Examiner: PhD Programme, at The University of Manchester, Manchester, UK
- External Examiner: PhD Programme at Dundee Business School, University of Abertay Dundee, UK.
- External Examiner: PhD Programme at Northampton Business School, Northampton University, UK.
- Moderator, MBA Programme, Informatics, Singapore.
- Moderator, BSc & MBA, Imperial Institute of Higher Education (IIHE), Sri Lanka.
- External Examiner: Research Programme at School of Management, University of Cranfield, UK.
- External Examiner, PhD Programme, Gomal University, Pakistan.
- External Examiner: MSc, Strategic IS Programme at Northampton Business School, Northampton University, UK.
Strategic management, entrepreneurship and innovation
Growth and development strategies in SME sector
Strategic HRM and OB
- Strategic marketing management and firm performanceYarahmadi, H, Karami, A & Mitchelmore, S 2015, Strategic marketing management and firm performance. Lambert Academic Publishing.
- Product development strategyTajvidi, M & Karami, A 2015, Product development strategy: Innovation Capacity and Entrepreneurial Firm Performance in High-Tech SMEs. Palgrave Macmillan.
- Critical success factors for inter-firm technological cooperation: an empirical study of high-tech SMEs in China.Chen, D & Karami, A 2010, 'Critical success factors for inter-firm technological cooperation: an empirical study of high-tech SMEs in China.' International Journal of Technology Management, vol 51, no. 2-4, pp. 282-299. DOI: 10.1504/IJTM.2010.033806
- Managers of small and medium enterprises: mission statement and enhanced organizational performance.Alavi, MT & Karami, A 2009, 'Managers of small and medium enterprises: mission statement and enhanced organizational performance.' Journal of Management Development, vol 28, no. 6, pp. 555-562. DOI: 10.1108/02621710910959729
- Motives for and modes of interfirm technological cooperation: an empirical study of China's high-technology SMEs.Karami, A & Chen, D 2008, 'Motives for and modes of interfirm technological cooperation: an empirical study of China's high-technology SMEs.' International Journal of Business Information Systems, vol 3, no. 6, pp. 624-636. DOI: 10.1504/IJBIS.2008.018994
- Does strategic human resource management matter in high-tech sector? Some learning points for SME managers.Jones, BM, Jones, B, Karami, A & Kakabadse, N 2008, 'Does strategic human resource management matter in high-tech sector? Some learning points for SME managers.' Corporate Governance, vol 8, no. 1, pp. 7-17. DOI: 10.1108/14720700810853365
- Strategy Formulation in Entrepreneurial FirmsKarami, A 2007, Strategy Formulation in Entrepreneurial Firms. Ashgate.