About This Course
This course has been designed to meet the local, regional and national needs in developing the knowledge, skills and competencies of clinical educators and learning facilitators working in health and related clinical services. It will provide a framework in which clinical educators can critically review and develop theoretical perspectives and practical skills in facilitating their students / trainees experience.
During the course students will systematically and creatively analyse the complexities of clinical education using techniques which build on their own experience. The course will involve active and reflective learning and ensure the integration of contemporary theory and practice.
The course will help prepare clinicians to assume leadership positions in clinical education in their own profession and cooperate in developing multi professional aspects of clinical education.
What will you study on this course?
This programme will equip clinical educators with a greater breadth and depth of knowledge and understanding of medical education including:
- An in-depth knowledge and understanding of specific issues at the forefront of theory and practice in medical education.
- A critical understanding of the requirement of clinical performance assessments and appraisal for fitness to practice.
- A critical understanding of the standard setting processes.
- A critical understanding of the basic tenets of good adult pedagogy.
- A practical understanding of the methods used to facilitate learning.
- The ability to appraise the goals of assessment and the impact of assessment on student learning.
- The ability to evaluate the relevance, validity and reliability of assessment methodologies.
- The ability to critically review and reflect on contemporary adult learning and medical education literature relating to the application of simulation teaching technology and apply this to own simulation practice experience.
- Reviewing ethical issues relating to teaching and learning facilitation in a clinical context.
- Clinical Performance Assessment
- Clinical Teaching Evaluation
- Teaching and Technology
Modules for the current academic year
Module listings are for guide purposes only and are subject to change. Find out what our students are currently studying on the Medical Education Practice Modules page.
Course content is for guidance purposes only and may be subject to change.
Applicants to this course should normally be qualified clinicians, with some experience of, or access to, supervising and / or teaching in their daily work. A degree, degree level qualification, or professional qualification supplemented by relevant experience will normally form part of the applicants profile.
Please note: Due to Visa issues this programme is not usually open to international (non EU) students.
This course will improve employability and enhance career progression for clinicians including advancement onto the consultant grade.