Press Dossier (20)
Press Dossier (20) 2023-24
School Of Arts, Culture And Language
Module - Semester 1 & 2
This module provides single honours students with the opportunity to examine a topical issue relevant to one or more countries/regions in which the target language is spoken. The chosen issue will be examined through the prism of the press and media, in order to develop an understanding not only of the specific issue in question, but also of the media landscape of the relevant society. The resulting dossier will comprise the analysis of contrasting media and press types in their coverage of the chosen topic, as well as an assessment of their importance in influencing public opinion. The dossier will be written in the target language.
The primary materials for this module will be press and media articles gathered by the student. Many such materials will be accessible online; other materials will be available in the form of magazines and newspapers subscribed to by the School of Modern Languages.
Secondary reading will depend on the chosen subject area, and will predominantly comprise of printed publications and online sources.
- Demonstrate an advanced understanding of the use of rhetoric in the target language and an ability to analyse a variety of styles and registers.
- Display a broader understanding of the relevant social, political and cultural implications of the chosen topic.
- Display a clear understanding of the media landscape of a given society, through the detailed study of contrasting types of press and media, and an assessment of their influence on public opinion.
- Display a detailed understanding of a topical issue in one or more countries/regions in which the target language is spoken.
- Display advanced comprehension and written language skills in the target language.
- Present and structure arguments in an extended piece of independent study, supported by textual evidence and broader social, cultural and political awareness.