Guidelines for chairing a bilingual meeting ::
Chairpersons - points to remember:
- Welcome everyone to the meeting in Welsh and English .
- Explain that the meeting is a bilingual one and that members are welcome to contribute in Welsh or English .
- Check that everyone who needs a headset has one and that it is working. Introduce the simultaenous translator.
- If you speak Welsh:
- chair as much as possible of the meeting in Welsh in order to give Welsh speakers the confidence to use Welsh
- if you feel that there is disproportionate use of English in the meeting, you can respond in Welsh to questions or statements made in English
- If you do not speak Welsh :
- use key phrases to make sure that Welsh is heard regularly throughout the meeting from the Chair.
- Close the meeting in Welsh and English.
- Thank the simultaenous translator.