How should I structure my UCAS Personal Statement?
The maximum size of your UCAS personal statement is 47 lines – approximately 500-550 words, size 12 font. The maximum number of characters is 4,000, and this includes spaces.
How should you start?
Your reason for wanting to study your chosen course is the first thing tutors will look for and will usually be the opening part of a statement
BUT - Don’t start with “I’ve always wanted to study…”
It is important to hook the reader and grab the attention of the Admissions Tutor from the start. If you have a unique selling point, this is where it should be mentioned.
Remember these things as your write your personal statement...
- Be personal, positive and not bland
- Don’t start every sentence with “I”
- Write what comes naturally
- Tone should not be over-familiar nor over-formal
- Be honest
- Finish on a high note
- Show it to a friend or a careers advisor
- Make a few copies
- Take you time, be patient and get it right