Why choose Bangor for your studies?
Founded in 1884, dedicated to academic excellence for more than 135 years, Bangor University is one of the oldest and most prestigious degree awarding institutions in the UK. Find out more
- Awarded Gold rating for Teaching Excellence – TEF 2017
- World ranking 160th for International Outlook – Times Higher Education World Ranking 2020
- Top 15 UK University for Teaching Quality – The Times and Sunday Times League Table 2020
- Top 10 UK University for Student Satisfaction – National Student Survey 2019
- Top 10 UK University for Teaching Satisfaction – Guardian University League Table 2020
Careers and Employability
- Top 10 UK University for Job Prospects - WhatUni 2019
- 93% of our graduates progressed to employment or further study within six months of graduation – DLHE survey 2016/17
- Many courses help strengthen career prospects through;
- Work placements: students are provided with a variety of options for work experience – either within the degree, through University internships or by volunteering.
- Industry partnerships: Some degrees are run in partnership with the industry such as Teacher Training, Nursing and Social Work.
- Professional accreditations: to help develop students’ careers, many of the degrees are accredited by professional bodies of global repute, such as IBMS, ACCA, CIMA, CIM, BCS, BPS, IET, ICF, SRA, and NMC.
Cost of Study
- Ranked 1st in the UK for lowest cost of living for students - Totally Money 2019
- Scholarships worth over £1M are available for international students. Find out more
- Top 20 in the UK for cheap shops and amenities – THE Student Survey 2018
- Top 10 UK University for ‘Student support’ – WhatUni 2019
- Free English language support for international students throughout the year, details here
- Dedicated team to handle international student concerns ranging from visa, accommodation, health, money matters, and employment
- Free of cost writing and skills workshops for students, for confidential writing, study skills, time management, and numeracy/statistics support
- Ranked 1st in the UK for ‘Clubs and Societies’ – WhatUni 2019
- Ranked top 5 in the UK for student accommodation – WhatUni 2019
- Guaranteed accommodation for new international students
- Free Wi-fi, gym membership, and campus life activities access
- £35 million investment in student accommodation halls
- Conveniently located within a 15 minute walk from the lecture halls and also the city centre
- Student village comprising of sports facilities, laundry, café, bar, shops and 24 hour security
- Variety of room options available; En-Suite, Studios, Townhouses, Standard, and Budget
- Coastal town situated near to the Snowdonia mountains.
- Close to major cities like London (3.5 hrs), Manchester (1.5 hrs) and Liverpool (1.5 hrs)
- Top 20 UK University for University Facilities – WhatUni 2019
- £67m invested on campus redevelopment and a further £48m on a new Arts and Innovation Centre (Pontio).
- 160+ buildings, 14 academic departments offering 250+ Undergraduate courses and 150+ Postgraduate courses in 40+ subject areas offered over January and September intakes.
Bangor's entry requirements for Canada depend on the province where you studied, see below:
|Province||Canadian entry requirements for undergraduates|
|Alberta||General High School Diploma with at least 70% (B) average in five acceptable grade 12 courses.|
|British Colombia||Senior Secondary Graduation Diploma with at least one A and four B's (ABBBB) in an acceptable grade 12 course (B is minimum 70%).|
|Manitoba||High School Graduation Diploma if five credits have been awarded at 300 level with an average of 70% (B) in at least four subject areas.|
|New Brunswick||High School Graduation Diploma with an average of at least 70% in five acceptable subjects at grade 12.|
|Newfoundland||High School Graduation Diploma (36 credits including 21 core credits) with an average of at least 70% in five acceptable subjects at university preparatory level (grade 12).|
|North West Territories||High School Graduation Diploma with an average of at least 70% (B) in five acceptable grade 12 subjects.|
|Nova Scotia||High School Graduation Diploma with an average of at least 70% in five acceptable courses at level 4 or 5.|
|Ontario||Ontario Academic Courses (OAC's) if five OAC's are passed with three at grade B and 2 at grade C. OSSD including at least five 4U or 4M credits with an overall average of 70% (B). For entry to the LLB, OSSD with an overall average of 75% is required.|
|Prince Edward Island||High School Graduation Diploma with an average of at least 70% in five acceptable grade 12 subjects.|
|Quebec||The completion with a 70% average of a 2-year Diplome d'Etudes Collegiales (DEC/Diploma of Collegial Studies) at CEGEP (College d'enseignement general et professionnel/College of General and Professional Education).|
|Saskatchewan||Completion of Grade 12 Standing/Division IV Standing (Secondary School Diploma) with an average of at least 70% in five acceptable subjects.|
|Yukon Territory||Senior Secondary Graduation Diploma with at least one A and four B's (ABBBB) in acceptable grade 12 courses.|
Candidates who require additional studies to reach the desired level for entry onto a 3-year degree will be considered for a 4-year degree with incorporated foundation year.*
It is possible to transfer into the 2nd year of an undergraduate degree programme if they university studies undertaken to date in another country or in another university in the UK correspond by level and content to the 1st year of a programme at Bangor University. In order to assess an application for transfer, students are required to provide an official certified transcript detailing the study undertaken to date with their application.
Studying Law at Bangor University
Canadian students who wish to apply for any of our LLB (Law) programmes can also apply to Bangor upon completion of the above relevant high school or CEGEP qualification. It is not necessary to complete an undergraduate degree in Canada first and then apply for the LLB.
Students who have already completed their undergraduate degrees in a non-law subject, but who wish to obtain an LLB can also apply for entry onto an accelerated LLB programme which takes two years to complete.
Students may also gain entry to year 1 of our undergraduate degree programmes if they have successfully completed 1 or 2 years of an undergraduate degree at a Canadian university with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 out of 4.0 (or equivalent) and seek to transfer to Bangor for the remainder of their degree.
Minimum GPA of 2.0 or C+
Candidates who require additional studies in order to reach the desired level for entry onto a Masters degree will be considered for an extended Masters degree with incorporated Pre-Masters*.
Requires a Bachelors degree as well as a Masters degree
Students may be eligible for entry under the mature student regulations. This regulation does not require a bachelor degree. The applicants must however have obtained relevant work experience or held a position of responsibility relevant to the proposed course of study for a minimum period of 2 years prior to commencing the course. This rule does NOT apply for applicants for PhD studies, and entrants MUST have a taught postgraduate degree.
English Language Requirements
Entry onto undergraduate and postgraduate programmes is dependent on academic qualifications and English Language Level.
Applicants from Canada need NOT provide additional evidence of English Language ability, if previous education was with English medium of instruction. Otherwise, an IELTS overall 6.0 with 5.5 in each component or equivalent is normally required (some courses may require a higher score).
Students from other countries who require advice regarding their qualifications can contact the International Education Centre at: firstname.lastname@example.org
* Note: In such cases, candidate details will be shared with Bangor University International College which delivers the 1st year of the 4-year degree course, and Pre-Masters component of the Masters degree course in partnership with Bangor University. Candidate details will not be shared with any other third party organisations.
- International Year Zero: High school certificate or equivalent from your home country + IELTS 4.5 (4.0)
- International Year 1: School leaving qualification equivalent to the British school leaving qualification (A-levels / IB) + IELTS 4.5 (4.0
- Undergraduate Courses: School leaving qualification equivalent to the British school leaving qualification (A-levels / IB) or the University may also recognise relevant professional experience of 2 years or longer for entry onto our degree programmes + IELTS 6.0 (5.5)
- Postgraduate Courses: Undergraduate / bachelor degree of equivalent standard to the British undergraduate/bachelor degree or the University may also recognise relevant professional experience of 2 years or longer for entry onto our degree programmes + IELTS 6.0 (5.5)
- PhD/Research Course: Postgraduate / Master’s Degree of equivalent standard to the British Postgraduate / Master’s Degree + IELTS 6.0 (5.5)
Note: Some courses may require higher entry requirements. Refer to individual course page for details. Course Search
Applicants from some countries do NOT need to provide additional evidence of English Language ability, if previous education was with English medium of instruction. Otherwise, an IELTS overall 6.0 with 5.5 in each component or equivalent is normally required (some courses may require a higher score.
Fees & Scholarships
Find out about the annual tuition fee for international students as well as the many attractive scholarships for international students on our International Fees page.
Last year scholarships worth over £1 million pounds were offered by Bangor University, helping students from around the world to satisfy their dream of studying overseas. Find out about the annual tuition fee for international students as well as the many attractive scholarships for international students on our International Scholarships page.
Contacts & Agents
We have a dedicated team of international country managers who regularly travel overseas to meet prospective students throughout the year. Alternatively you can approach one of our authorised agents in your country who can advise you about admissions at Bangor and assist you with your application.
The details about our next visit to Canada will be posted here soon. In the meantime, feel free to contact us by filling in the Enquiry Form, and we will get back to you within 24 hours.
Our dedicated team of international country managers travel overseas to meet prospective students throughout the year. Find out when they may be visiting your country.