Why choose Bangor for your studies?
Founded in 1884, dedicated to academic excellence for more than 135 years, Bangor University is one of the oldest and most prestigious degree awarding institutions in the UK. Find out more
- Top 45 UK University - The Times and The Sunday Times Good University Guide 2023
- World ranking 182nd for International Outlook – Times Higher Education World Ranking 2022
- Top 5 UK University for Lecturers and Teaching Quality – WhatUni 2022
- Top 30 UK University for Student Satisfaction – The Complete University Guide 2022
- 85% of Bangor University’s research is world-leading or internationally excellent – REF 2021
Careers and Employability
- Top 20 UK University for ‘Career Prospects’ - WhatUni 2022
- 88% of our graduates progressed to employment or further study within six months of graduation – DLHE survey 2021
- Many courses help strengthen career prospects through;
- Work placements: students are provided with a variety of options for work experience – either within the degree, through University internships or by volunteering.
- Industry partnerships: Some degrees are run in partnership with the industry such as Teacher Training, Nursing and Social Work.
- Professional accreditations: to help develop students’ careers, many of the degrees are accredited by professional bodies of global repute, such as IBMS, ACCA, CIMA, CIM, BCS, BPS, IET, ICF, SRA, and NMC.
Cost of Study
- Ranked 1st in the UK for lowest cost of living for students - Totally Money 2019
- Scholarships worth over £1M are available for international students. Find out more
- Top 10 UK University for ‘Student Support’ – WhatUni 2022
- Free English language support for international students throughout the year, details here
- Dedicated team to handle international student concerns ranging from visa, accommodation, health, money matters, and employment
- Free of cost writing and skills workshops for students, for confidential writing, study skills, time management, and numeracy/statistics support
- Ranked top 5 in the UK our 'Student Union’ – WhatUni 2022
- Ranked No.3 in the UK for student accommodation – WhatUni 2022
- Guaranteed accommodation for new international students*
- Free Wi-fi, gym membership, and campus life activities access
- £35 million investment in student accommodation halls
- Conveniently located within a 15 minute walk from the lecture halls and also the city centre
- Student village comprising of sports facilities, laundry, café, bar, shops and 24 hour security
- Variety of room options available; En-Suite, Studios, Townhouses, Standard, and Budget
* Accommodation is guaranteed to international students beginning in the September intake only, we cannot guarantee accommodation for the January intake.
- Coastal town situated near to the Snowdonia mountains.
- Close to major cities like London (3.5 hrs), Manchester (1.5 hrs) and Liverpool (1.5 hrs)
International Year Zero
If your school-leaving qualification means you do not qualify for direct entry to our undergraduate programmes then we are able to consider you for entry onto one of our 4-year International Incorporated Bachelor degree (IIB) programmes. For more details click here.
Undergraduate Courses - direct entry to 1st year
For entry onto the first year of our 3 or 4 year undergraduate / Bachelor degree programmes, we ask for a school leaving qualification which is equivalent to the British school leaving qualification, (A-levels / International Baccalaureate). To find out more about which qualification is acceptable from the country you studied in, please refer to our country-specific information page.
Undergraduate Courses - direct entry to 2nd year
It is possible to transfer onto the 2nd year of an undergraduate degree programme at Bangor University, if the studies undertaken at any other university (UK or overseas), correspond by level and content to the 1st year of a programme at Bangor University. In order to assess an application for transfer, students are required to provide an official certified transcript detailing the study undertaken to date with their application. To find out more about which qualification is acceptable from the country you studied in, please refer to our country-specific information page.
Undergraduate Courses - mature students with industry experience
We may also recognise the relevant professional experience of 2 years or longer for entry onto our degree programmes. We strongly advise all such applicants to submit an online application which MUST be accompanied by the following documents;
- Employer references - must include the title of the position(s) held and key responsibilities (e.g. decision making, line management, budgets, operations etc) in detail, and the letter must be printed on the official letterhead signed by the HR department or senior manager in the company. It will also help if you can include the company details like its organisation overview, nature of the business, and its operations in the letter.
- Detailed CV - must include education and career history in detail; focussing on employers and the nature of their business, job responsibilities held, professional training and qualifications, and academic/professional achievements.
It is possible to transfer onto the 2nd year of an undergraduate degree programme if the university studies undertaken to date in another country or in another university in the UK correspond by level and content to the 1st year of a programme at Bangor University. In order to assess an application for transfer, students are required to provide an official certified transcript detailing the study undertaken to date with their application.
Entry onto our postgraduate Masters’ courses requires an undergraduate / bachelor degree of equivalent standard to the British undergraduate/ bachelor degree with a minimum grade equivalent to a British second-class honours. Candidates who require additional studies in order to reach the desired level for entry onto a Masters degree will be considered for an extended Masters degree with incorporated Pre-Masters.*
Good grades in a Bachelor degree and a Masters degree. Previous research experience is essential.
English Language Requirements
IELTS 6.0 (5.5) or equivalent. Some courses have higher English Language Requirements.
For students educated in English or from an English speaking country we may be able to waive the requirement, if you can provide evidence that you achieved a minimum of a C or equivalent in your high school English (higher for some courses) or a letter from your University confirming your bachelor degree was taught in English. Details of the English language requirements for courses run at Bangor University International College (BUIC) can be found here.
* Note: In such cases, candidate details will be shared with Bangor University International College which delivers the 1st year of the 4-year degree course, and Pre-Masters component of the Masters degree course in partnership with Bangor University. Candidate details will not be shared with any other third party organisations.
- International Year Zero: High school certificate or equivalent from your home country + IELTS 4.5 (4.0)
- International Year 1: School leaving qualification equivalent to the British school leaving qualification (A-levels / IB) + IELTS 4.5 (4.0)
- Undergraduate Courses: School leaving qualification equivalent to the British school leaving qualification (A-levels / IB) or the University may also recognise relevant professional experience of 2 years or longer for entry onto our degree programmes + IELTS 6.0 (5.5)
- Postgraduate Courses: Undergraduate / bachelor degree of equivalent standard to the British undergraduate/bachelor degree or the University may also recognise relevant professional experience of 2 years or longer for entry onto our degree programmes + IELTS 6.0 (5.5)
- PhD/Research Course: Postgraduate / Master’s Degree of equivalent standard to the British Postgraduate / Master’s Degree + IELTS 6.0 (5.5)
Note: Some courses may require higher entry requirements, refer to the individual course pages for details.
Applicants from some countries do NOT need to provide additional evidence of English Language ability if their previous education was through the medium of English. Otherwise, an IELTS overall 6.0 with 5.5 in each component or equivalent is normally required (some courses may require a higher score).
Fees & Scholarships
Find out about the annual tuition fee for international students as well as the many attractive scholarships for international students on our International Fees page.
Last year scholarships worth over £1 million pounds were offered by Bangor University, helping students from around the world to satisfy their dream of studying overseas. Find out about the annual tuition fee for international students as well as the many attractive scholarships for international students on our International Scholarships page.
We have a dedicated team of international country managers who regularly travel overseas to meet prospective students throughout the year. Alternatively you can approach one of our authorised agents in your country who can advise you about admissions at Bangor and assist you with your application.
The details about our attendance to any events in the UK will be posted here soon. In the meantime, feel free to contact us by filling in the Enquiry Form, and we will get back to you within 24 hours.
Our dedicated team of international country managers travel overseas to meet prospective students throughout the year. Find out when they may be visiting your country.