Current students menu
At the End of your Studies
Towards the end of your time at Bangor, you will need to start thinking about your options. These could involve returning home, finding work in the UK, or doing another course of study either at Bangor or elsewhere.
Start making the arrangements as soon as possible – you should have 4 months of your visa left following the end of your course, and this should give you plenty of time to make the necessary arrangements. Think about:
- Travel arrangements: shop around – the earlier you book a flight for example, the cheaper it should be.
- Luggage/belongings: you will most probably have accumulated a lot of things during your stay in Bangor. You won’t be able to take all of these with you when you travel, so visit us at the International Support Office for a list of couriers who can deliver your belongings to your home country.
- Bills/debts: make sure you have paid any outstanding bills if you lived in privately rented accommodation, and that you have no University debt left to pay (halls/fees/library).
- Keep in touch: ensure you register with our Alumni Office to receive news of what’s happening in Bangor.
The Alumni Office helps you to stay in touch with your former classmates, to find lost friends, to help you organise reunions and to maintain your contact with Bangor University from wherever you are in the world.
- Notification: let relevant people know that you are leaving – doctor, dentist, school (if you have children), subscriptions, broadband/telephone providers, bank. And cancel any direct debit payments you may have set up.
If you have lived away for some time, you may find adjusting to your home culture difficult. Although many students think that it will be easy to go back to familiar relationships and patterns of behaviour, it can sometimes be hard to settle back in and they need time to adjust. An interesting web page talks about this:
Staying in the UK to Work
At the end of your studies in the UK, you might be considering the possibility of staying on in the UK to work. There are many different options available and the following web pages provide more information on what you can do and the visa options available:
Further Study in the UK
If you are thinking of following another course after completing you current Bangor programme, there are many options available. You will need to consider:
- where and what to study
- extending your Tier 4 Student visa
- the limit (cap) imposed by the UK government on time spent studying here
- if you have been sponsored by your home government, will they allow you to remain in the UK?
For more information on issues such as these, see:
If you decide to remain in Bangor to undertake another course of study, you may be eligible for a tuition fee discount and other scholarships.