Study English Literature, Creative Writing and Professional Writing at Bangor
There are many fantastic reasons for choosing to study English Literature and/or Creative Writing at Bangor.
- Students rate our teaching extremely highly. The 2017 National Student Survey (NSS) put us 1st in the UK again! Our English Literature BA has scored a fantastic 100% for overall student satisfaction for the third year running (NSS 2015, 2016 and 2017).
- At undergraduate and postgraduate level, we offer a broad and flexible range of module choices, combining the innovative (e.g. The Literature of Laughter, Transformative Writing and The Gothic in Literature and Film) with the more traditional (e.g. Victorian Literature and Jonson to Johnson)
- Our teaching is based on the latest research. The world-class quality of our research and writing was recognised in the most recent Research Excellence Framework (REF 2014) placing our School in the UK Top 10 for research intensity.
- With award-winning pastoral care, one-to-one support and individualised feedback, we get to know our students as individuals and enable them to pursue their own creative interests.
- Employability. We provide our students with transferrable skills that are valued by employers. 85% of our graduates were in employment or further study within six months of finishing the course (source: DLHE). Our graduates have gone on to have wide-ranging and successful careers in many sectors, including the performing arts, education, law, the civil service, press, media and public relations.
- Arts and Culture. Our close links with Pontio (the University’s £40 million Arts Centre), local theatres, poetry groups and vibrant student societies – including our Bangor English Drama Society (BEDS) – give students plenty of opportunities to get involved.
- Bangor is an inspiring location for creative writing or literary study, situated on the Menai Straits at the foot of Snowdon, and less than three hours by direct train from London!
- Read what our students say.
English Literature and Creative Writing courses:
Combinations and/with another subject:
- QQC3 English Language and English Literature BA (Joint Hons) (3 years)
- Q3Q2 English Language with English Literature BA (Hons) (3 years)
- T124 English Literature and Chinese BA (Joint Hons) (4 years)
- 09V3 English Literature and Italian BA (Hons) (4 years)
- Q310 English Literature with English Language BA (Hons) (3 years)
- 065C English Literature with Journalism BA (Hons) (3 years)
- 32M8 English Literature with Theatre and Performance BA (Hons) (3 years)
- Q1Q3 Linguistics with English Literature BA (Hons) (3 years)
- 3HPQ Media Studies and English Literature BA (Hons) (3 years)
- 3VQV Philosophy & Religion and English Literature BA (Joint Hons) (3 years)
- WW38 Music and Creative Writing BA (Hons) (3 years)
- 3YT5 English Literature and Spanish BA (Joint Hons) (4 years)
- 06CD French and English Literature BA (Joint Hons) (4 years)
- 3N7S German and English Literature BA (Joint Hons) (4 years)
- 32N6 English Literature and Music BA (Joint Hons) (3 years)
- 1Q3Q English Literature and Linguistics BA (Hons) (3 years)