Marcela Porto Costa
Thoday Building, Room G8
PhD Title (or subject area)
Life Cycle Assessment of legume-grain integration systems in Europe to provide feed and food.
Prof. Dr. David Styles, Prof Dr.Dave Chadwick
My research is part of TRUE Project and it aims to produce new inventory data on the environmental intensity of different legume production systems from the Innovation Case Studies and nutritional analyses using Life-Cycle Analysis.
For complementary information: https://www.true-project.eu/work-packages/environmental-lca-and-nutrient-quality-assessment/
Life Cycle Assessment and Life Cycle Thinking
Sustainable Agricultural Intensification
Engagement of value chain regarding sustainability topics
COSTA, MARCELA P.; SCHOENEBOOM, JAN C.; OLIVEIRA, SUELI A.; VIÑAS, RAFAEL S.; DE MEDEIROS, GERSON A. A socio-eco-efficiency analysis of integrated and non-integrated croplivestock-forestry systems in the Brazilian Cerrado based on LCA. JOURNAL OF CLEANER PRODUCTION, v. 171, p. 1460-1471, 2018.
- COSTA, Marcela P; SILVA, Max W; ASCAR, D. E. Sustainability Indexes for logistics: How to bring LCA perspective to logistics KPIs. ABRAFATI Congresso Internacional de Tintas – ABRAFATI. São Paulo, 2017.
- MONTEIRO, Julia P. A.; COSTA, Marcela P; VIÑAS, Rafael S. Tools and its key elements for presenting results of LCA studies for Civil Society. Poster presentation in LCM – Life Cycle Management Congress, Luxembourg, 2017.
- COSTA, Marcela P; UHLMAN, Bruce; SILVA, J. M. ; NAZAR, M. D. ; ASCAR, D. E. Sustainability Indexes for logistics: How to bring LCA perspective to KPIs for different business units in different regions of the world – A BASF experience. Poster presentation in LCM – Life Cycle Management Congress, Luxembourg, 2017.
- COSTA, Marcela P; ARCAS, Renato B; OLIVEIRA, S. A.; AGUAIR, A.; Fontes, T. ; GUIDO, F. L. ; TAGUCHI, V. Brazilian Sustainable Farm Award: sustainability evaluation, good practices and communication. Poster presentation in LCM – Life Cycle Management Congress, Luxembourg, 2017.
- SILVA, Juliana M.; COSTA, Marcela P; SILVA, Max W et. al. Engagement of sectoral organizations through Life Cycle Thinking: Success studies cases. Poster presentation in LCM – Life Cycle Management Congress, Luxembourg, 2017.
- COSTA, M, P;; VINAS, R. S; OLIVEIRA, S.A; MEDEIROS, G. A Definition of a functional unit for multi-output integrated farming systems; Social performance indicators for multiproduct agricultural systems. Poster presented at the LCM – Life Cycle Management Congress, Bordeaux – France, 2015.
- COSTA, M. P.; VINAS, R. S. ; OLIVEIRA, S.A ; MEDEIROS, G. A. Social performance indicators for multiproduct agricultural systems. Poster presented at the LCM – Life Cycle Management Congress, Bordeaux – France, 2015.
- COSTA, M. P.; OLIVEIRA, S.A ; VINAS, R. S. ; SCHOENEBOOM, J. ; RAUCCI, G. S. ; MEDEIROS, G. A. Socio-eco-efficiency analysis of integrated and non-integrated systems of crop, livestock and forest in the Brazilian cerrado; Poster presented at the World Congress for Crop-Livestock-Forest integration – Brasília – Brazil – 2015.
- COSTA, M. P.; OLIVEIRA, S.A ; VINAS, R. S. ; RAUCCI, G. S. ; MEDEIROS, G. A. . Análise de ecoeficiência de diferentes sistemas de produção agropecuários no cerrado brasileiro. Oral presentation at the Congresso Brasileiro de Gestão do Ciclo de Vida, São Bernardo do Campo- Brasil, 2014
- COSTA, M. P.; OLIVEIRA, S.A ; MEDEIROS, G. A. Eco-efficiency analysis of integrated and nonintegrated crop, forestry and livestock production systems in the brazilian Cerrado; Oral presentation at the Ecobalance Congress - Tsukuba - Japan, 2014.
- COSTA, M. P.; OLIVEIRA, S.A ; CIRILO, F. ; MEDEIROS, G. . Eco-efficiency analysis of integrated and non-integrated crop, forestry and livestock production systems in the Brazilian Cerrado; Poster presented at the Word Resources Forum - Arequipa - Peru, 2014; - Best Poster Award.
Events and Talks
- Marcela P. Costa . National Congress of Women in Agribusiness. “Is my activity sustainable? How to measure and manage it?” Talk on plenary section. Public of 700 people. October 2016.
- Marcela P. Costa. Agrossociedade Chanel Interview. “Agro livestock Sustainable practices”, October 2016. Available in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3gWd1zKrSw&index=7&list=PLxmGWMXKfr9qLEVi2J4_yuKVeBrQoFYI
- Fabiana Aquino; Jorge Werneck Lima and Marcela P. Costa; Field Day at Santa Brígida Farm, Oral presentation: “Ecosystems Services and Integrated Systems of production”, March 2016. Folder available in: http://www.espacoeco.org.br/media/69486/O-Ciclo-de-Vida.pdf
- Marcela P. Costa. Entrevista canal Terra Viva: Assunto de Primeira - A importância do sistema ILPF para o agro. 2017. http://tvterraviva.band.uol.com.br/noticia/100000841820/assuntode-primeira-a-importancia-do-sistema-ilpf-para-o-agro.html
- Marcela P. Costa. Canal Agrossociedade - Práticas Sustentáveis na Agropecuária. São Paulo 2016. Available in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3gWd1zKrSw&index=7&list=PLxmGWMXKfr9qLEVi2J4_yuKVeBrQoFYI
As an environmental engineer by training, I have worked for BASF (Chemical Company) for more than 4 years on the field of Environmental, Economic and Social Life Cycle Assessment and related approaches for different value chains, such as agriculture (soy, corn, sorghum, cattle, eucalyptus, potatoes, coffee, sugarcane, etc), paints (for domestic and automotive use) and its logistics and biofertilizers.
Within this timeframe, I developed my Master’s project regarding complexes agricultural systems for commodities in Brazil (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxLY8B46NA0). I also had the opportunity to give Lectures in the MBA program of IBS (International Business School) regarding the agribusiness and sustainability module) and to participate of some congresses, in plenary sections and presenting projects (oral presentation and posters).
I am an enthusiastic person and I enjoy transit in multicultural environments. I try to combine technical skills with commercial needs, connecting multiple instances in order to create new sustainability opportunities.
At the moment I am developing my PhD regarding TRUE project (https://www.true-project.eu/), which aims to identify the best routes, or “transition paths” to increase sustainable legume cultivation and consumption across Europe.