Dr Julian Owen
Lecturer in Sport & Exercise Science
Position: Lecturer, employability and school liaison lead.
Telephone: (01248) 38 2197
Location: Office 007.8, Padarn Building, Normal Site
- Dehydration:Assessment techniques and effects on endurance performance and well-being PhD
- Sport Physiology MSc (Liverpool John Moores University)
- PGCE Professional (Manchester Metropolitan University)
- FA Fitness Trainers Award Professional (The Football Association)
- Diploma in Science & Football Other (Liverpool John Moores University)
- Applied Biochemistry BSc (Liverpool John Moores University)
Following an undergraduate degree in Biochemistry (BSc, JMU) and 3-years working within academic (University of Liverpool) and pharmaceutical research (Astra Zeneca), Julian returned to Liverpool John Moores University to study for an MSc in Sport Physiology. An 8-year period followed working as a physiologist and strength & conditioning coach within professional soccer, rugby union and international hockey before starting a PhD at Bangor University in 2010. In 2013-2014 Julian was a Postdoctoral Fellow within the School before being appointed as a Lecturer in 2014.
- Introduction to Applied Sport Science (Yr 1 BSc)
- Human Physiology (Yr 1 BSc)
- Sport and Exercise Physiology (Yr 2 BSc)
- Supervised Experience (MSc)
Claire Griffith-McGeever (PhD, 2015 to present) - Inspiratory effort percetion and interoception to dyspnoea in health and obstructive sleep apnoea.
Davide Mondin (Master by Research, 2018 to present) - Athlete Monitoring in Rugby Union.
Seren Evans (PhD, 2018 to present) - Predicting injury, illness and underperformance in professional rugby union players.
Reece Smith (MRes, 2018 to present) - Determinants of athlete progression in a regional rugby union player pathway.
Current research includes:
- Applied physiology of team sports
- Athlete monitoring
- Athlete development within player performance pathways
In addition I also continue research in the following areas:
- Dehydration assessment methods
- Pathphysiology of obstructive sleep apnoea
- Determinants of apnoea –hypopnoea-index (AHI) levels in newly diagnosed obstructive sleep apnoea patientsOwen, J, Earing, C, Griffith-Mcgeever, C, McKeon, D, Engeli, S, Moore, J & Kubis, H-P 2018, 'Determinants of apnoea –hypopnoea-index (AHI) levels in newly diagnosed obstructive sleep apnoea patients' Europhysiology 2018, London, United Kingdom, 14/09/18 - 16/09/18, .
- Psycho-physiological responses of mountain bike riders during anaerobic and aerobic testingPaludo, A-C, Cook, C, Owen, J, Woodman, T, Owen, S & Crewther, B 2017, 'Psycho-physiological responses of mountain bike riders during anaerobic and aerobic testing' Journal of Science and Cycling, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 18-25.
- Is This Elderly Patient Dehydrated? Diagnostic Accuracy of Hydration Assessment Using Physical Signs, Urine, and Saliva MarkersFortes, MB, Owen, JA, Raymond-Barker, P, Bishop, C, Elghenzai, S, Oliver, SJ & Walsh, NP 2014, 'Is This Elderly Patient Dehydrated? Diagnostic Accuracy of Hydration Assessment Using Physical Signs, Urine, and Saliva Markers' Journal of the American Medical Directors Association, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 221-228. DOI: 10.1016/j.jamda.2014.09.012
- Endurance performance in a temperate environment after mild hypertonic and isotonic hypohydrationOwen, J 2013, 'Endurance performance in a temperate environment after mild hypertonic and isotonic hypohydration' International Sport and Exercise Nutrition Conference, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom, 13/12/12 - 15/12/12, pp. S7.
- The utility of hydration markers to identify mild hypertonic and isotonic hypohydrationOwen, J 2013, 'The utility of hydration markers to identify mild hypertonic and isotonic hypohydration' International Sports and Exercise Nutrition Conference in Newcastle upon Tyne., Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom, 13/12/12 - 15/12/12, pp. S7.
- Is Whole-Body Hydration an Important Consideration in Dry Eye?Walsh, N, Fortes, M, Raymond-Barker, P, Bishop, C, Owen, J, Tye, E, Esmaeelpour, M, Purslow, C & Elghenzai, S 2012, 'Is Whole-Body Hydration an Important Consideration in Dry Eye?' Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science, vol. 53, no. 10, pp. 6622-6627. DOI: 10.1167/iovs.12-10175
- Influence of fluid intake on soccer performance in a temperate environmentOwen, JA, Kehoe, SJ & Oliver, SJ 2012, 'Influence of fluid intake on soccer performance in a temperate environment' Journal of Sports Sciences, vol. 31, no. 1. DOI: 10.1080/02640414.2012.720701
- Perceptual response to respiratory loading in health and obstructive sleep apnoea.
7 Oct 2016
Activity: Invited talk (Speaker)
- Every breath you don’t take: Respiratory control and awareness in obstructive sleep apnoea.
16 Sep 2016
Activity: Invited talk (Speaker)
- KESS II MRes with RGC- BUK2154
Owen, J.A., Hardy, J.T., Mellalieu, S. Predicting injury, illness and underperformance in professional rugby union players. Coleg Cymraeg Cenedlaethol PhD Studentship. £54,677. July 2018.
Owen, J.A., Jones, E.S. and Hardy, J.T. Athlete monitoring in rugby union. ESF Knowledge Exchange Scholarship Scheme (KESS II) Masters by Research Grant. £16,435. April 2018.
Blanchfield, A.W., Owen, J.A., and Griffiths, G. Development of a mindful-exercise training framework. ESRC Impact Acceleration Account. £19,165. March 2016.
Earing, C.M.N., McKeon, D., Owen, J.A. and Kubis, H.P. Purchase of a pneumotachometer for research within the field of respiratory physiology in health and obstructive sleep apnoea. BCUHB Small grant scheme. £3,880. February 2016
Owen, J.A., Moore, J.P., and Kubis, H.P.Pathophysiology of obstructive sleep apnoea. Coleg Cymraeg Cenedlaethol PhD studentship. £53,577. April 2015.
Owen, J.A. Conference and travel grant. European Hydration Institute. £1000. October 2012.
Owen, J.A., Walsh, N.P., and Oliver, S.J. Hypertonic and isotonic dehydration: effects on hydration marker utility and human performance. European Hydration Institute: Graduate research grant for the study of Human Hydration. £5,000. January 2012.
Predicting injury, illness and underperformance in professional rugby union players. June 2018 to present.
Inspiratory effort perception and interoception to breathlessness in health and obstructive sleep apnoea. October 2015 to present.
Methods of dehydration assessment and effects on subjective discomfort, well-being and exercise performance. October 2010 to present.