Coronavirus (Covid-19) Information

How do I obtain a certificate of registration (for Council Tax, etc)?

Council Tax Exemptions for Students

‘Council Tax’ is a ‘household tax’ which is set by local councils to help pay for the services that they provide. Full time university students are exempt from paying council tax.
A full time student is defined as studying more than 21 hours a week and more than 24 weeks a year.  The course must last for at least one academic year or calendar year.

The following councils are sent lists of all Bangor University registered full time students on a regular basis:


Gwynedd County Council
Anglesey County Council
Conwy County Borough Council

(Students living in Conwy are also required to complete the

Conwy Council Tax Discount Disregard Application Form)

This arrangement with local councils has been put in place to save students having to request council tax exemption documentation from the University as you can now confirm your student status by contacting your local authority directly. The Councils will only use this information for council tax purposes. Please advise your landlord that this system is now in place, should they ask you to obtain a council tax exemption certificate as this will normally no longer be required.
However you will still need to request a Council Tax Exemption Certificate from the Student Records Office in the following cases:


You do not live in one of the above areas
Your parents may need evidence of your exemption

Please note that students do not need Council Tax Exemption Certificates for university accommodation.

Requesting a Council Tax Exemption Certificate

You will need to ensure that your current term time address is up to date before requesting an exemption certificate. You can do this by logging onto the student system via myBangor, where you can update your details if necessary

To request a certificate of registration, please submit a request via the request centre in MyBangor.


MyBangor -> Online Services -> Request Centre - > Certificate of Registration

When you receive your Exemption Certificate this should either be given to your landlord or sent to the council depending on the arrangements within your household. 

If you wish to be excluded from the above data transfer arrangement with local Councils, please email, quoting your Bangor University student id number.