Musicology Year 2
Musicology Year 2 2022-23
School Of Arts, Culture And Language
Module - Semester 2
Research is a fundamental academic skill, and so too is the ability to effectively communicate the results of that research in writing. On this module, students undertake research into a musical topic of their own choice, and write up their findings in the form of a short dissertation of around 4500-5000 words. At the same time, the module introduces students to some of the conventions and methods of musicological research and presentation, through the study of various examples of academic writing. Moreover, students will continue to develop study skills taught in The Study of Music, including bibliographical skills, skills of independent thinking, and problem-solving skills.
The module will prepare students for undertaking a Dissertation in Year 3, and may also be useful to students considering undertaking an Editing Project in Year 3.
-threshold -(D) Work which displays basic, restricted knowledge of the chosen subject, with simple ability at conceptual thought and evaluation, and a limited awareness of issues, but has some evidence of a generally intellectual approach, with fair expression
-good -(B) The work should display a sound grasp of the chosen subject, a good level of conceptual thought and evaluation, good awareness of the main issues, with evidence of intellectual acumen and good expression
-excellent -(A) Work which displays a thorough grasp of the chosen subject, with evidence of deeper study, higher levels of intellectual thinking, originality of approach and excellent written skills
- On completion of the module, the student should be able to apply skills in bibliography and information searching.
- On completion of the module, the student should be able to communicate independent findings arising from research into a musicological topic of their own choice.
- On completion of the module, the student should be able to devise and plan a research project.
- On completion of the module, the student should be able to employ the conventions of academic writing on music.
- On completion of the module, the student should be able to research music and music history in an informed, well-structured and methodologically-conscious fashion.
Bibliography: submitted in Teaching Week 3 of semester 2.
Final Short Dissertation (extended research essay)