Genres and Composers B
Genres and Composers B 2022-23
School Of Arts, Culture And Language
Module - Semester 2
The choice of topic(s) varies from year to year.
In AY 2022/23 the option will be 'Music and Censorship'
The following list is indicative of the variety of options that may be available across Genres & Composers A, B, C and D. It is not exhaustive.
- The Beatles
- Beethoven and the String Quartet
- Cage and Experimental Music
- Debussy and Ravel
- From Dufay to Josquin
- Michael Nyman
- Music Revivals
- Opera: Monteverdi to Mozart
- The 19th-Century Symphony
- The 20th-Century Symphony
- Three Contemporary Welsh Composers: Metcalfe, Samuel and Barrett
- Tonality Today
- The Violin in World Culture
-threshold -D– to D: Work which displays basic knowledge of the subject, with some limited ability in conceptual and critical thinking, expressed intelligibly.
-good -B– to B+: Work which displays a good grasp of the subject, with evidence of strong ability at conceptual and critical thinking, expressed engagingly.
-excellent -A– to A**: Work which displays a thorough grasp of the subject, with evidence of depth and originality in conceptual and critical thinking, expressed convincingly.
-another level-C– to C+: Work which displays fair knowledge of the subject, with satisfactory ability at conceptual and critical thinking, expressed understandably.
- On completion of this module, the student should be able to apply skills of musical analysis, source-based research, and critical thinking in relation to the music studied.
- On completion of this module, the student should be able to communicate ideas about the music studied effectively.
- On completion of this module, the student should be able to demonstrate and apply a detailed knowledge and understanding of specific subjects in music history and culture.
Presentation: these are to be given during the seminars on a date agreed with the module tutor
Essay: topics to be given in the module handbook at the start of the semester