Work and Volunteering

Last updated on 17 March 2020

Some students choose to look for part-time work while they are at University. Many students also choose to enhance their employability - and make the most of their time in the UK - by gaining other types of work experience, for example internships, work placements and volunteering.

There are several places to look when you are job searching.

Where should I start looking?

The Skills and Employability Service can help with careers advice, and their Bangor Prospects team can help you to find work locally.  Once you have found a job or placement you would like to apply for, they can give you advice about how to make a good application, including how to improve your CV and covering letter. They also offer a range of workshops and events such as 'CVs and Application Forms', 'Job Search' etc.

Where else can I look?

The JobCentrePlus ( website has a database of jobs, searchable by job type and location. It also includes other information and advice about looking for work.

JobsWales is another searchable database.

Supermarkets, Shops and Restaurants
Outside of teh University, supermarkets, local shops and restaurants probably present the best chance to find flexible part-time work that you can fit around your studies. Most supermarkets usually advertise vacancies on a board inside the store. They may also avertise on their website. Shops and restaurants will often display any job vacancies in their window.

The Careers & Employability Service have some really useful information for graduates on their webpages.

Last updated on 17 March 2020

Volunteering is a great way to learn new skills, gain work experience and meet new people. 

You can, and should, record any volunteering and other extra-curricular activities that you do with the Bangor Employability Award Team. After you graduate you will get your academic certificate plus an official certificate (called a 'HEAR') which lists any extra-curricular activites that you have been involved with whilst at Bangor University.

To check the visa rules about voluntary work, click on the 'Visa / Work Rules' tab (above).

Where should I start?
Bangor University Skills and Employability Service can give you more information about volunteering. They have a useful webpage about volunteering during your time at Bangor.

Where else can I look?
The following two websites may help you find a volunteering opportunity to suit you:

Student Volunteering Bangor (Students' Union)
Student Volunteering Bangor provides on average 750 opportunities for Bangor University students to volunteer each academic year, over 38 community projects. 


  Volunteering Wales
The Volunteering Wales website has a database of volunteering opportunities, searchable by area or postcode.

General Information About Volunteering

UKCISA - UK Council for International Student Affairs
Provides information on a range of topics relating to international students, and UK students studying overseas.
For non-EEA students:  'Working During your Studies'


WCVA - Wales Council for Voluntary Action
Provides general information about volunteering.

Volunteer Centres
The following three organisations which act like 'job centres' for volunteering opportunities in your local area.

Gwynedd Volunteer Centre / Mantell Gwynedd

Gwynedd Volunteer Centre
23-25 High Street
LL55 1AB

Telephone: 01286 672626


Anglesey Volunteer Bureau / Medrwn Mon

Medrwn Môn 
Town Hall
Bulkeley Square
LL77 7LR

Telephone: 01248 724944


Conwy Volunteer Centre

7 Rhiw Road,
Colwyn Bay,
LL29 7TG

Telephone: 01492 534091


Different Types of Volunteering

If you have an interest in a particular type of volunteering, e.g. people, environment etc, then you could target specific organisations or places.  Here are some ideas to get you started:

Bangor Forest Garden

"The BFG project was started in 1998 on a quarter hectare field at the University of Wales, Bangor's research farm in North West Wales. The BFG project has been run entirely by volunteers from the local and student communities, and we've transformed the site enormously in this time".

Moelyci Environmental Centre

Moelyci Environmental Centre is a social enterprise which started when a local community bought a farm in their village to prevent it from being re-developed.

"Whether you want to get involved with one of our volunteer days or you are able to help with administrative tasks such as IT maintenance, organising events or minor bilingual translations we'd love to hear from you!"

National Trust

"Whether you're interested in outdoor activities, inspiring places, nature, castles, historic houses, walking or exploring something new, we have everything."

There are two big National Trust properties around Bangor: Plas Newydd (Anglesey) and Penrhyn Castle (on the outskirts of Bangor). You can enquire about current volunteering opportunities directly with them. There are also other National Trust sites in the local area.

North Wales Wildlife Trust

"North Wales Wildlife Trust protects and maintains special places where a range of species can thrive".  Volunteering opportunities include:  Practical Reserve Work, Survey/Monitoring Work, Marine Awareness, Ongoing Volunteer Opportunities, Tailor-made opportunities to get involved

RSPB - Royal Society for the Protection of Birds

"You can volunteer for us in hundreds of ways. Explore these pages to find an opportunity that suits you. Read our blog for the latest news and to see what volunteering is really like. Whatever you decide to do, you'll be helping our work for wildlife and the environment".

Snowdonia Society

"The Snowdonia Society is a registered charity working to protect, enhance and celebrate Snowdonia, its wildlife and heritage. The Society works with local communities, organisations and businesses to achieve this vision".

STAG - The Students for Treborth Action Group

"The Students for Treborth Action Group is the student volunteering organisation at Treborth Botanic Garden, Bangor University.  As well as holding monthly work parties at the garden, STAG puts on frequent ecology and botanical workshops, trips and other social events".


"Through more than 40,000 volunteers WRVS helps older people all over the country to stay independent at home and active in their community".

The WRVS also recruit volunteers to work in the shop and café at Ysbyty Gwynedd (the hospital in Bangor).

Various Charity Shops in Bangor

You could volunteer at one of the several charity shops on Bangor High Street.  Look at the organisations' website or ask in the charity shop for more information.

Last updated on 17 March 2020

Many International students are entitled to do some part-time work whilst they study in the UK. However, this is not the case for every International student, and even if you are permitted to work, there are certain restrictions on the type of work you can take and the number of hours you can work.

Here is a general overview of the rules and regulations:

Am I allowed to work in the UK during my studies?

EEA Nationals are currently free to work unrestricted hours in the United Kingdom without having to get permission to work.

Non-EEA Nationals will normally have a restriction on the amount of hours they are entitled to work and the type of work they can do. 

If you have a Student Visa: work restrictions will be written on the Entry Clearance visa in your passport or on your BRP (visa ID card).  You would usually be subject to the following restrictions:

    • You can work a maximum of 20 hours per week during term time (except where the placement is an assessed part of your course)
    • You must not engage in business, self-employment or provide services as a professional sportsperson or entertainer.
    • You must not fill a permanent, full-time vacancy.

If your employer is requesting a letter from the University clarifying the above and holiday dates, please open and print the following letter:

    • If you are an UNDERGRADUATE STUDENT please download the letter from link provided in the Right-Side panel of this page
    • If you are an POSTGRADUATE STUDENT please download the letter from link provided in the Right-Side panel of this page

UKCISA have useful webpages about Student Visa work entitlements and what kind of work you are allowed to do as a Student Visa holder.

If you have a 'Short-term Study Visa' (formerly known as 'Student Visitor Visa'), then you are not allowed to work in the UK.

If you have a Dependant visa you can usually work full-time; there are some restrictions (see 'Conditions of Stay' in the PBS Dependant Policy Guidance).

If you are unsure about if you are entitled to work in the UK, contact the International Student Support Office.

Am I allowed to work in the UK after my studies?

If you have a Student Visa which limits you to 20 hours work per week during term-time, after you have completely finished* your course, you are entitled to work full-time until the end of your visa. 

* "completely finished" means that you have submitted your final project/dissertation or other final piece of work.  So, for undergraduates this will usually be in May/June, and for Masters students this will usually be in September or January (depending on your course start date).

Am I allowed to volunteer in the UK during my studies?

There is a difference between 'voluntary work' and 'volunteering'.  If you are doing 'voluntary (unpaid) work' the work restrictions are the same as paid work and the number of hours counts towards the 20-hour per week limit.  If you are 'volunteering' the working hours are unrestricted (as long as it does not affect your studies, of course!).  See page 69 of the Student Visa Policy Guidance to check the UKVI's definition of 'voluntary work'.  If you are not sure about what rules apply to you, you should check with the International Student Support Office.

Last updated on 16 August 2022

Here is just a summary of what you need to know about working in the UK. See the website for much more information about general employment regulations in the UK.

What is a National Insurance Number and do I need one?

Before you can start work you will need to apply for a National Insurance (NI) Number. All workers in the UK (British and overseas) need a NI number. For more information, contact Skills and Employability Service

National Minimum Wage

The National Minimum Wage is a minimum amount per hour that all workers in the UK are entitled to be paid. There are different levels of National Minimum Wage, depending on your age. Workers over the age of 25 are paid what is called 'the National Living Wage'.

Rates from April 2022:

£9.50 an hour for workers aged 23 and over

£9.18 an hour for workers aged 21 to 22

£6.83 an hour for workers aged 18 to 20

What is Income Tax and do I need to pay it? 

Income Tax is a tax on income. Not all income is taxable and you are only taxed on income above a certain level.  If you earn less than £12,500 in one tax year, you would not have to pay any income tax.

Nearly everyone who is resident in the UK for tax purposes receives a ' Personal Allowance', which the amount of money you are allowed to earn (or receive) each year tax-free. This tax year (6 April 2019 - 5 April 2020), the basic Personal Allowance - or tax-free amount - is £12,500.

Income Tax is only due on taxable income that is above your tax-free allowance. For example, if you earned £13,000 in one tax year, you would only pay income tax on the extra £500. Tax is automatically deducted from your wages.

Although it is unlikely that as a student you will end up having to pay income tax, you will have to pay National Insurance contributions if you earn more than £166 a week on average.

UK Tax system can be quite complicated, and occasionally you may overpay or underpay tax, especially if your earnings vary from month to month. If too much tax has been deducted from your wages, you may be able to claim it back by contacting the tax office. See the website for information about ' Student jobs: paying tax' and general information about ' Income tax'.

More information....

See the UKCISA website for more information about working in the UK with a Tier 4 visa.

Last updated on 18 July 2019

Bangor University offers a range of workshops and events to support students and graduates and to help them enhance their skills and employability, from CV writing and interview skills to corporate research and social media presence. These links will give you somewhere to start, but we also recommend that you ask the Careers & Employability Service for other suggestions about where to look for other events and workshops.

Also, see the latest edition of the International Student Newsletter for highlights and updates.

The Prepare2GetAhead e-learning resource gives an introduction to career planning for Chinese students and provides a step-by-step approach to enable students to develop and create their own career plan. The resource aims to help students to make the most of their time at university and to explore options that interest them, as well as gain relevant skills and experiences.

It looks like you’re visiting from outside the UK, would you like to be redirected to the international page?