About This Course
This Applied Mechanical Engineering Systems Degree Apprenticeship provides an alternative route to traditional higher education – combining work with college and university study.
This course develops a broad understanding of mechanical engineering and business principles so as to assist in becoming a competent engineer with the knowledge, understanding and skills required for a professional career in the mechanical engineering industry. The programme develops given knowledge in engineering principles in both electrical/electronic and mechanical theory in to applying them in real situations. It provides practical skills in design, testing, heath and safety. It develops mathematical approached to engineering and theory demonstrating this in the final year with Power and Industrial Engineering.
Students will usually undertake academic study for one day and one evening per week for three years.
For the first two years, our digital degree apprenticeship programmes are usually undertaken at colleges in either Deeside and Wrexham or Rhos-on-sea, and our engineering degree apprenticeship programmes are taught at colleges in Llangefni or Rhos-on-Sea. The final year of the apprenticeship teaching will be at Bangor University.
Modules for the current academic year
Module listings are for guide purposes only and are subject to change. Find out what our students are currently studying on the Applied Mechanical Engineering Systems Degree Apprenticeship BEng (Hons) Modules page.
Course content is for guidance purposes only and may be subject to change.
- Large fully equipped computing laboratories and all the latest software.
- A recently installed immersive technologies laboratory, where the latest devices are used for project and research work.
- A recently installed large networking laboratory to provide students with the opportunity to design and administer networks and for the teaching of computer architecture modules.
- A large undergraduate teaching laboratory, full of industry standard equipment.
- This is where you will undertake practical sessions put into practice what you have learned in your lectures.
- A class 1000 clean room which all undergraduate students will experience during their studies. This will give you unique training in clean room protocols which is invaluable experience when you are looking for jobs after your degree.
General University Facilities
Library and Archive Services
Our four libraries provide a range of attractive study environments including collaborative work areas, meeting rooms and silent study spaces.
We have an extensive collection of books and journals and many of the journals are available online in full-text format.
We house one of the largest university-based archives not only in Wales, but also the UK. Allied to the Archives is the Special Collections of rare printed books.
There is a range of learning resources available, supported by experienced staff, to help you in your studies.
The University’s IT Services provides computing, media and reprographics facilities and services including:
- Over 1,150 computers for students, with some PC rooms open 24 hours a day
- Blackboard, a commercial Virtual Learning Environment, that makes learning materials available on-line.
This course is fully funded, subject to confirmation from HEFCW, which covers the full course tuition fees of £27,000 (i.e., £9000 per year per student over 3 years).
Fees may be increased in subsequent years of study by an inflationary amount determined by Welsh Government. The tuition fees do not cover the costs of purchasing books or stationery, printing, thesis binding or photocopying costs.
There are no mandatory additional costs for this course.
- Apprentices need to be in either full or part-time employment (minimum 16 hours a week) in the relevant employment.
- All applicants will be considered on a case by case basis and will be expected to attend an informal interview.
How to Apply
For all Degree Apprenticeships, apply directly with the help of our Guidance Notes.
Once you have read the Guidance Notes you should apply using our Online Application form.