- Dewi Rowlands
- Course Director for
BSc. Product Design
BSc. Design and Technology- Leading to Qualified Teacher Status
- 01248 383061/383005
- Eifionydd, Normal Site
Dewi Rowlands graduated with a BA. (Hons) in Industrial Design from Sheffield Polytechnic in 1988. Works produced by Dewi during the course and displayed at the Degree Show were selected for an elite exhibition at the London Design Centre for the most innovative and high quality graduate products of that year, he was the only graduate to have two pieces of work exhibited.
After achieving his teaching qualification, he has taught Design & Technology in Secondary Schools and developed programmes as part of a new Further Education College in south Gwynedd, during this period he taught across a number of vocational and A level programmes which included 3Ddesign, Art & Design Foundation Diplomas and Engineering courses. During his career Dewi has produced prestigious commission work ranging from furniture, graphic design to work in precious metals. Following a two year secondment in 1998 he was appointed Lecturer at the School of Education and Human Development in 2000 and became Course Director in 2009. Since becoming Course Director for two Design undergraduate programmes, he has introduced new teaching and learning methodologies that have enhanced the quality and level of engagement with both the education and industry sectors. In 2012 he was invited to be part of the Estyn inspection team for the South and West Wales Centre of Teacher Education, he has also been a member of the judging panel for the Welsh Government National Innovation Awards since 2010.
He has recently been promoted to Senior Lecturer, this in recognition of work in the development of new curricula and work related modules with companies and trainees who have been placed all over the UK. Work produced in liaison with partnership companies has been cited as best practice by HEFCW for reporting publications. The continuing work based projects that are now embedded as part of the programme have been recognised recently in the course being awarded 1st in the UK for ‘Design Employability’ and ‘Student Satisfaction’ (The times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2016 / 2017).
Dewi has a passion for promoting curricula that enhances the employability of trainees whilst also providing consultancy to the industrial partners of Bangor University.
Current project involvement include:
- Teaching a multi-disciplinary module ‘Enterprise by Design’ which is integrating students from Engineering, Design, Creative Studies, Psychology and Business through ‘live projects’ in the application of design methodologies via the PONTIO project (Arts & Innovation Centre).
- The promotion of ‘Design Methodologies’ for curriculum development and implementation across all BSc Design and Manufacture modules.
- Working as a consultant/supervisor on a KESS II programme which is developing new innovation protocols with Marco Gearing Ltd.
- Development of a new MSc programme which will use the workplacement modules as a basis for career development.
Please contact Dewi if you are:
- a prospective student requiring BSc Product Design / BSc Design Technology QTS course information
- a Design and Technology teacher that would like to discuss collaborative projects
- a design or manufacturing company interested in providing student workplacement opportunities
- a business seeking SIP or KTP academic partnership
- a business seeking design and innovation consultancy