Housed at the Normal Library, the Climbers’ Club was founded in 1898. It is a national club whose objectives are to encourage mountaineering and rock-climbing, and to promote the general interests of mountaineers and the mountain environment.
The Climber’s Club library is a collection of books relating to climbing and mountaineering that was built up during the 1930s, 40s and 50s by club members and was originally held by the Alpine Club. Despite the collection having been broken up in the 1960’s a decision was made during the 1970’s to rebuild the library and gather books from various sources held in many locations across the country.
The newly gathered collection eventually found a home at Plas Y Brenin National Mountain Sports Centre in Capel Curig, but owing to issues of security and storage, was entrusted into the care of Bangor University in 2012.