Welcome to your Bangor Benefits information page. Here you’ll find a range of guidance and links to the various Benefits Bangor University has set up for you to add to your employment experience and help your pay go that little bit further.
Our total rewards and benefits package aims to offer you flexibility and choice to suit your diverse and changing needs. How and what you use will differ depending on your individual circumstances and personal choice.
Take a look at some example case studies to see how different individuals draw differing benefits from their total reward experience here at the University.
The University Salary Scales are aligned to our HERA Job Evaluation scheme to determine a fair salary grade for duties and responsibilities across the organisation. We have signed up to the real living wage foundation and salaries are reviewed and pay awards considered annually through national pay bargaining negotiations with the recognised Trade Unions.
The University offers its staff access to enhanced annual leave, above the statutory 28 days. Full time staff can access 42 days annual leave (pro rata for part time staff) each year.
When our physical or mental health changes, often individuals may need time away from work for treatment and recovery but financial worries can be a large element when needing this time away. The University offers an enhanced Sick pay scheme, in addition to statutory sick pay, increasing based on length of service, offering up to 6 months full & 6 months half pay after 5 years service. Find out more about your eligibility.
Bangor University contributes to individual pensions under the USS and BUPAS Schemes, staff can access generous contributions in addition to their own payments into the scheme, with the University paying 21.6% of salary into USS and 23.5% of salary in BUPAS.
The University also has an initiative that allows members of the Universities Superannuation Scheme (USS) and the Bangor University Pension & Assurance Scheme (UPAS) to increase their take home pay whilst continuing to accrue benefits in the pension scheme.
My Advantage Discounts
Staff can access the Edenred discounts platform and make savings on day to day purchases accross a range of retail outlets including supermarkets, restaurants, cinema, travel and more.
Tir Na NÓg Nursery
The University Nursery is open to all, including university students and staff and members of the public. Staff can save on fees via a salary sacrifice arrangement.
There are also other non-salary sacrifice benefits available as follows:
- Kennedy Burchill offer Bangor University Staff access to a free, remote will writing service . More details
- Staff can now set up a savings account or borrow money through the Cambrian Credit Union and pay directly from their salary. More details
- Staff at the University are now entitled to the same great discounts offered to students with the TOTUM Discount Card. More details
- The Arriva Employer Travel Club – enables staff to access discounted bus travel on Arriva bus routes. Staff members are able to access their discounted ticket on-line, pay directly by direct debit and the ticket is sent to the home address. There is no minimum contract period and the scheme also allows free travel for up to two children on weekends and bank holidays. More details.
- Staff members are also entitled to discounted rates at the University's Sports and Leisure facility. More details
Looking for insurance cover in case you’re in or have had a cycling accident? Serious Cycle Scheme offers University Staff automatic membership to their scheme which provides free legal protection. More information
- Looking for legal advice and support with selling or buying a house, Mackenzie Jones Solicitors offer a discount to Bangor University staff. More information.
- For conveyancing, Express Conveyancing offer University Staff a discount of up to 20% on legal fees. More information.
- Hacker & Case - Staff can access 10% discount by purchasing items online. More information.
- Cotswold Outdoor - Staff can access 15% discount in-store an donline. More information
- CostCo - University staff are eligible to apply for a CostCo Membership card. More information
- ST Gerard's - University staff are eligible for a special offer of 20% off school fees. More Information
- Penderyn Distillery - University staff can access discounts at the Distillery More Information
Employee Assistance Programme
At times when you need someone to talk to, practical support or a little extra help in dealing with difficult times - take advantage of the Employee Assistance Programme by Care First (Free and Confidential).
The University has its own in-house Occupational Health Service, which can provide advice and guidance to managers and individuals experiencing health difficulties and challenges in the workplace as a result.
Brailsford Sports & Leisure Facility
Keep yourself active and well and save a little too. Staff members are entitled to discounted rates at the University's Sports and Leisure facility.
Health & Safety
Bangor University looks to ensure you are kept safe and well in work with a suite of Health and Safety Policies and Practices in place.
In difficult times managing our finances can be a secret worry and challenging consideration many of us try to manage every day. The University understands the impact financial difficulties and challenges can have on an individual's well-being and for this reason offer a range of terms and conditions which exceed statutory rates and requirements. In addition individuals can consider.
- Credit Union - Offered by Cambrian Credit Union individuals can access savings and loans, through this financially sympathetic service and set up payments via their monthly pay. More details
- Debt Support – As part of the Employee Assistance Programme staff can contact Care First for practical support and guidance with difficulties relating to Debt and other financial problems.
- Pre Retirement Development - Access these free workshops to help you with planning for retirement before it arrives.
- Free Will Writing Service
- Kennedy Burchill offers Bangor University Staff access to a free, remote will writing service. More details
Pension Welling Provisions
Individuals who are members of the USS or BUPAS pension schemes offered by the University can access a range of additional well-being benefits as part of their membership.
The schemes provide reassurance and access to benefits, including Ill health Retirement, Spouses and Child Pension provision and more if individuals are faced with health difficulties or pass away.
Planning for future ill health or health difficulties and accessing medical support is a key consideration to day for many individuals. WHA Healthcare offer a affordable healthcare plan and the ability to pay monthly membership fees direct from your pay.
Buying Annual Leave
Sometimes we all need a little extra time away from work to balance our work and home life or manage other commitments. In addition to its generous leave entitlement, the University offers individuals the opportunity to purchase additional annual leave and make saving on the cost via salary sacrifice.
Maternity, Adoption, Paternity, Shared Parental Leave
For those special times when you need time away from work to commit to welcoming new additions to your life, the University has a suite of packages to help you during Maternity, Adoption, Paternity leave and more, offering enhanced payments to those set out in statutory provisions.
Sometimes we need that added flexibility in our life to manage all our commitments and find the right balance. The University offers staff the ability to request flexible working when needed.
In the post-Covid world new ways of working have emerged; where possible, the University seeks to offer a dynamic working arrangement.
Other Time Off
Many of you give your time in supporting public duties and causes, and sometimes all individuals need time to deal with the loss of loved ones or to support those we care for in times of need and emergencies.
Cycle to Work
In partnership with Sodexo Limited and Halfords, Bangor University offers individuals an opportunity to hire a bike and equipment from various independent and large retailers to aid them with cycling to work. Bikes can be hired and savings made on the cost via a salary sacrifice arrangement.
Enables staff to access discounted bus travel on Arriva bus routes. Staff members are able to access their discounted tickets on-line, pay directly by direct debit and the ticket is sent to the home address. There is no minimum contract period and the scheme also allows free travel for up to two children on weekends and bank holidays.
Tusker Car Lease
(Currently under review) the University is looking at options to introduce the Tusker Car Leasing Scheme, to help promote the utilisation of electric and low carbon vehicles for staff. (Not currently available, further details will follow)
Career Development, Promotion and Regrading
Recognising individual contribution and successes and helping individuals progress with their chosen careers is important to Bangor University. The University offers a range of avenues for Career Development, Promotion, Regrading and Recognition.
Learning and Development
Supporting you to keep your skills, knowledge and competence up to date the University provides a suite of Learning and Development opportunities for individuals to access, free and during work times.
Bangor University is fully committed to the Concordat to Support the Career Development of Researchers and therefore to developing its research staff at every career stage.
Coaching and Mentoring
At time we may need some additional support with in work issues or developing on our roles and career. The University has two free schemes available to staff who wish to access Coaching or Mentoring.