Catchment Modelling & Analysis
Catchment Modelling & Analysis 2023-24
School Of Natural Sciences
Module - Semester 2
Major themes covered
- Importance of models in scientific inquiry
- A brief history of different approaches to catchment modelling
- Introduction to MATLAB programming language
- Obtaining and processing the input data for models
- Modelling of hydrological processes
- Automated calibration of model parameters
- Lumped vs. distributed catchment models
- Polyscape: A landscape analysis tool for modelling the effects of multi-stakeholder interaction in catchment management decisions
- An understanding of how models can inform land-use decisions by different stakeholders that affect catchment processes.
- A thorough understanding of basic environmental modelling concepts such as the control volume approach, interaction and coupling of multiple processes, input data preparation, and parameter calibration
- An ability to understand and critique existing catchment models in the literature, especially their assumptions and limitations.
- An ability to visualise the data and build process-based models in MATLAB programming language.