Rhedir gan School of History, Law and Social Sciences
20.000 Credydau neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Hefin Gwilym
This module provides the opportunity for work-based learning, by means of placements with a range of agencies suitable for History, Philosophy or Social Sciences students. The aim of the module is to help to prepare students for future work-based contexts.
Students will identify and arrange their own placements. If the student has any difficulties staff will assist in this process. Students are allowed to undertake placements local to the university or their term time address
*If you are interested in this module, please contact the module convenor prior to choosing it as an option.
Such experiential and career-oriented learning is consistent with the university’s commitment to employability enhancement. The module complies with the University Code of Practice on Placement Learning (https://www.bangor.ac.uk/regulations/codes/code07.php.en).
Sessions may include, but are not limited to: - Work placement (times/days arranged with organisation) - Employability sessions - Assignment support - Drop in
C- to B+ For the reflective report - shows a good or very good ability to reflect on the work-based learning experience; provides a thorough commentary on the student’s own experiences of the placement. Demonstrates good or very good awareness of the literature on employability.
For the presentation on the student’s work with the agency - a good or very good presentation on the student’s work with the agency – a good/very good presentation that discusses the placement in an informed and perceptive way.
- Good/very good description of the work placement
- Good/very good evaluation of one aspect of the work undertaken during the placement
- Uses some research related to the subject.
- Overall, a good/very good delivery, but one or two improvements were needed relating to delivery e.g speech patterns, eye contact, presentation slides, more research; preparation for the questions
- Good/very good presentation slides but one or two improvements needed e.g no more than 5 bullet points & text, mixture of text & picture, only Time or Ariel font, design is clear
- Good/very good responses in discussion but more preparation needed
For the reflective report - shows satisfactory ability to reflect on the work-based learning experience; provides a satisfactory commentary on the student’s own experiences of the placement. Demonstrates a basic awareness of the literature on employability.
For the presentation on the student’s work with the agency - satisfactory presentation on the student’s work with the agency
- Satisfactory description of the work placement
- Satisfactory evaluation of one aspect of the work undertaken during the placement.
- Uses little or no research related to the subject.
- Satisfactory delivery, but one or two improvements were needed relating to delivery e.g speech patterns, eye contact, presentation slides, more research; preparation for the questions
- Satisfactory presentation slides but one or two improvements needed e.g no more than 5 bullet points & text, mixture of text & picture, only Time or Ariel font, design is clear
- Satisfactory responses in discussion, but much more understanding of the subject area was needed
A- to A*
For the reflective report – shows excellent ability to reflect on the work-based learning experience; provides an insightful and skilled commentary on the student’s own experiences of the placement. Demonstrates excellent awareness of the literature on employability. Provides clear recommendations for the employer for further placements
For the presentation on the student’s work with the agency – an excellent presentation that discusses the placement in an informed and perceptive way.
- An excellent description of the work placement
- An excellent outline of any relevant government policies relating to the organisation
- An excellent evaluation of two aspects of the work undertaken during the placement.
- Has an excellent understanding of research related to the subject, specifically the key people.
- Key recommendations for the organisation
- Enthusiastic and engaging delivery;
- Excellent presentation slides that complement the oral presentation e.g no more than 5 bullet points & text, a mixture of text & picture, only Time or Ariel font, design is clear
- Perceptive and interesting responses in discussion.
Engage constructively in a learning environment.
Report on and critically evaluate Two aspects of the student’s own work within the agency.
Identify and implement a range of professional and academic skills which are relevant to the workplace.
Establish effective working relationships with staff and client groups within the agency.
Develop and critically reflect on the acquisition of a range of work-based skills.
|3,500 word Reflective Report||50.00|
|Individual presentation on student's work with the agency||50.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Sessions such as:
Work-based placement – work-based learning under the joint supervision of the agency and the School. A learning agreement (between student, university and agency) will be in place to cover all aspects of this work-based learning.
Independent study: reading related to chosen topic and agency; preparation and completion of the two assignments.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Ymwybyddiaeth o ddiogelwch - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch amgylchedd a hyder o ran cadw at reoliadau iechyd a diogelwch
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Mentora - Gallu cefnogi, helpu, arwain, ysbrydoli ac/neu hyfforddi eraill
- Gofalu - Dangos consyrn am eraill; gofalu am blant, pobl ag anableddau ac/neu'r henoed
- Rheloaeth - Gallu defnyddio, cydlynu a rheoli adnoddau (dynol, ffisegol ac/neu ariannol)
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
- Arweinyddiaeth - Gallu arwain a rheoli, datblygu cynlluniau gweithredu ac amcanion, cynnig arweiniad a chyfarwyddyd i eraill, ac ymdopi â'r pwysau sy'n gysylltiedig ag awdurdod o'r fath
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- the ability to formulate and investigate sociologically informed questions
- the capacity to analyse, assess and communicate empirical sociological information
- the ability to undertake and present scholarly work
- the ability to understand the ethical implications of sociological enquiry
- the ability to recognise the relevance of sociological knowledge to social, public and civic policy.
- how to develop a reflective approach and a critical awareness of the values of local cultures and local politics, and of the student's own values, biography and social identity, and how to bring these skills to bear in an informed response to crime and victimisation
- how to use empirical evidence - both quantitative and qualitative - about the distribution of crime, deviance, offending and victimisation of all kinds to explore
- trends in crime, harm and victimisation
- relationships of crime, deviance and offending, and victimisation to social divisions such as: age, gender, sexuality, social class, race, ethnicity and religious faith
- the social and historical development of the main institutions involved in crime control in different locations
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
Travel costs associated with the placement will usually be met by the agency concerned. Where relevant, agencies will also cover other costs, such as telephone calls made from home.
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/hps-3001.html
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- V1V9: BA History with Archaeology with International Experience year 4 (BA/HAIE)
- V1V4: BA History with Archaeology year 3 (BA/HAR)
- V1PM: BA Hanes gyda Newyddiaduraeth year 3 (BA/HN)
- VVV2: BA Philosophy and Religion and Welsh History year 3 (BA/PRWH)
- VP23: BA Welsh History and Film Studies year 3 (BA/WHFS)
- VW2H: BA Welsh History and Music year 3 (BA/WHMU)
- LVH2: BA Welsh History/Sociology year 3 (BA/WHS)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- M93B: BA Criminology & Criminal Just (4yr with Incorp Foundation) year 3 (BA/CCJ1)
- LC31: BA Criminology & Crim Justice & Psychology (with Int Exp) year 4 (BA/CCJPIE)
- L34L: BA Criminology and Criminal Justice and Social Policy year 3 (BA/CCJSP)
- M930: BA Criminology & Criminal Justice year 3 (BA/CRIM)
- MR95: BA Criminology&Criml Just/Italian year 4 (BA/CRIT)
- MC98: BA Criminology/Psychology year 3 (BA/CRP)
- MR94: BA Criminology/Spanish year 4 (BA/CRSP)
- QMV2: BA Cymraeg and Welsh History year 3 (BA/CWH)
- X317: BA Childhood and Youth Studies and Social Policy year 3 (BA/CYSP)
- X315: BA Childhood and Youth Studies and Sociology year 3 (BA/CYSS)
- LL13: BA Sociology/Economics year 3 (BA/ECS)
- LL2B: BA Sociology & Economics (4 yr with Incorporated Foundation) year 3 (BA/ECS1)
- 3QV1: BA History and English Literature year 3 (BA/ELH)
- LQ3J: BA English Lang. & Sociology year 3 (BA/ELSOC)
- M3Q9: BA English Literature and Criminology and Criminal Justice year 3 (BA/ENC)
- MR91: BA French/Criminology&Crim'l Just year 4 (BA/FRCR)
- P3V1: BA Film Studies and History year 3 (BA/FSH)
- MR92: BA Criminology&CrimJustice/German year 4 (BA/GCR)
- V100: BA History year 3 (BA/H)
- V103: BA History and Archaeology year 3 (BA/HA)
- VV41: BA Herit, Archae & Hist year 3 (BA/HAH)
- V13P: BA History and Archaeology with Placement Year year 4 (BA/HAP)
- VW23: BA Hanes Cymru a Cherddoriaeth year 3 (BA/HCAC)
- MVX1: BA History/Criminology year 3 (BA/HCR)
- LV11: BA History/Economics year 3 (BA/HEC)
- V10F: BA History [with Foundation Year] year 3 (BA/HF)
- RV11: BA History/French year 4 (BA/HFR)
- V1W6: BA History with Film Studies year 3 (BA/HFS)
- V1W7: BA History with Film Studies with International Experience year 4 (BA/HFSIE)
- RV21: BA History/German year 4 (BA/HG)
- RV31: BA History/Italian year 4 (BA/HIT)
- RV32: BA History and Italian (with International Experience) year 3 (BA/HITIE)
- V1P5: BA History with Journalism year 3 (BA/HJ)
- 8S11: BA History with Journalism (with International Experience) year 3 (BA/HJIE)
- VW13: BA History and Music year 3 (BA/HMU)
- RV41: BA History/Spanish year 4 (BA/HSP)
- LVJ1: BA Cymdeithaseg/Hanes year 3 (BA/HSW)
- V140: BA Modern & Contemporary History year 3 (BA/MCH)
- V130: BA Mediaeval and Early Modern His year 3 (BA/MEMH)
- WV33: Music & Hist & Welsh Hist (IE) year 4 (BA/MHIE)
- R807: BA Modern Languages & Criminology & Criminal Justice year 4 (BA/MLCCJ)
- R804: BA Modern Languages & History year 4 (BA/MLH)
- LP33: BA Media Studies and Sociology year 3 (BA/MSSOC)
- L401: Polisi Cymdeithasol year 3 (BA/PC)
- V5V6: BA Philosophy, Ethics and Religion year 3 (BA/PER)
- L200: BA Politics year 3 (BA/POL)
- L202: BA Politics and Economics year 3 (BA/POLEC)
- L20F: BA Politics [with Foundation Year] year 3 (BA/POLF)
- VVV1: BA Philosophy and Religion and History year 3 (BA/PRH)
- CL83: BA Sociology/Psychology year 3 (BA/PS)
- L300: BA Sociology year 3 (BA/S)
- L31B: BA Sociology (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 3 (BA/S1)
- LM39: BA Sociology and Criminology & Criminal Justice year 3 (BA/SCR)
- 3L3Q: BA Sociology and English Literature year 3 (BA/SEL)
- L30F: BA Sociology [with Foundation Year] year 3 (BA/SF)
- LV31: BA Sociology/History year 3 (BA/SH)
- LQ31: BA Sociology/Linguistics year 3 (BA/SL)
- L41B: BA Social Policy (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 3 (BA/SOCP1)
- L402: BA Social Policy year 3 (BA/SOCPOL)
- L40F: BA Social Policy [with Foundation Year] year 3 (BA/SOCPOLF)
- LL34: BA Sociology and Social Policy year 3 (BA/SOCSP)
- LM50: BA Social Policy and Criminology and Criminal Justice (IE) year 4 (BA/SPCIE)
- LM49: BA Social Policy/Criminology year 3 (BA/SPCR)
- LL14: BA Social Policy/Economics year 3 (BA/SPEC)
- LL1B: BA Social Policy & Economics (4yr with Incorp Foundation) year 3 (BA/SPEC1)
- LL15: BA Social Policy and Economics with International Experience year 4 (BA/SPECIE)
- LV41: BA Social Policy/History year 3 (BA/SPH)
- CL84: BA Social Policy/Psychology year 3 (BA/SPP)
- CL85: BA Social Policy & Psychology with International Experience year 3 (BA/SPPIE)
- LVK1: BA Polisi Cymdeithasol/Hanes year 3 (BA/SPWH)
- LVL1: BA Pol Cymd/Han Cymru year 3 (BA/SPWWH)
- L3LK: BA Cymd gyda Phol Cymd year 3 (BA/SSPW)
- LQH5: BA Cymdeithaseg a Chymraeg year 3 (BA/SWW)
- LVH1: BA Cymdeithaseg/Hanes Cymru year 3 (BA/SWWH)
- QV51: BA Cymraeg/History year 3 (BA/WH)
- V104: BA Welsh History and Archaeology year 3 (BA/WHAR)
- VV12: BA Welsh History/History year 3 (BA/WHH)
- LVH2: BA Welsh History/Sociology year 3 (BA/WHS)
- QVM2: BA Welsh History/Cymraeg year 3 (BA/WHW)
- LQ35: BA Cymraeg and Sociology year 3 (BA/WS)
- M1V1: LLB Law with History year 3 (LLB/LH)
- M108: LLB Law with Social Policy (International Experience) year 4 (LLB/LIF)
- M1L2: LLB Law with Politics year 3 (LLB/LPOL)
- M1L4: LLB Law with Social Policy year 3 (LLB/LSP)
- M1LB: LLB Law with Social Policy (4 yr with Incorp Foundation) year 3 (LLB/LSP1)
- V102: MArts History with International Experience year 3 (MARTS/HIE)
- V101: MArts History year 3 (MARTS/HIST)
- L403: MSocSci Social Policy year 3 (MSOCSCI/SP)