Foundation Year Chemistry
Rhedir gan School of Natural Sciences
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Ewa Krzyszczyk
The Foundation Year Chemistry module aims to provide students with the essential chemistry knowledge and skills that are required for a successful progression to degree-level study. The module will cover inorganic, organic and physical chemistry, but with a strong emphasis on the application of knowledge and skills to a range of subject areas.
Topics covered by this module could include the following: Atomic structure and bonding: appreciation and understanding of atomic structure; electron configurations of atoms and ions (s,p,d,f notation); mass numbers and isotopes, introduction to mass spectrometry and its use as an analytical tool. Bonding, intermolecular and intramolecular interactions and the link to physical properties. Periodicity – oxidation number, explaining properties based on electronic structure.
Introduction to Organic chemistry: IUPAC nomenclature of organic compounds; representing compounds, molecular formula, displayed formula, skeletal formula; isomerism – structural and stereoisomers, functional groups and exemplar reactions involving functional groups.
Amount of substance: relative atomic mass and molecular mass; Avogadro constant and the mole; chemical calculations involving concentration and number of moles; simple acid- base equilibria, pH calculation, indicators and titrations; Le-Chatelier’s principle and chemical equilibria, Kc for homogeneous systems only.
Grades D- to D+ Demonstrates a basic understanding of the subject but some errors present. Some inaccuracies and misconceptions evident. Limited ability to apply subject knowledge to new or different scenarios. The clarity of information presentation is weak and use of appropriate, subject-specific terminology is limited.
C- i C+
Grades C- to C+ A clearer understanding of the subject matter. Demonstrates ability to apply subject knowledge to new or different scenarios, but with some errors. The clarity of information presentation is acceptable and use of appropriate, subject-specific terminology is developing. There is evidence of some limited engagement with the wider literature and published information sources.
Grades B- to B+ A good understanding of the subject matter. Very few inaccuracies and misconceptions evident. Demonstrates ability to apply subject knowledge to new or different scenarios, with few errors. The clarity of information presentation is good and use of appropriate, subject-specific terminology is well-developed. There is evidence of engagement with the wider literature and published information sources.
Grades A- and above An excellent understanding of the subject matter with virtually no inaccuracies and misconceptions evident. Demonstrates a very good ability to apply subject knowledge to new or different scenarios, with very few errors. The clarity of information presentation is excellent and use of appropriate, subject-specific terminology is very well developed. Evidence of reflectivity in the work produced.
Demonstrate an understanding of appropriate methods in chemistry.
Demonstrate an accurate understanding of chemical principles and concepts.
Apply chemical principles to different subject areas.
Present information clearly and logically using specialist vocabulary.
|Test 1: atomic structure and bonding||25.00|
|Test 2: organic chemistry||25.00|
|Test 3: amount of substance||25.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
19*2 hour lectures
3*3 hour practicals plus 1hr for online presentation
12*1 hour tutorials
Time spent working on guided and independent study and on the preparation of assignments.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Ymwybyddiaeth o ddiogelwch - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch amgylchedd a hyder o ran cadw at reoliadau iechyd a diogelwch
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- SK2 Demonstrate a systematic understanding of fundamental physicochemical principles with the ability to apply that knowledge to the solution of theoretical and practical problems
- SK3 Gain knowledge of a range of inorganic and organic materials
- SK6 Develop an awareness of issues within chemistry that overlap with other related subjects
- SK15. Implementation of planned experiments.
- Demonstrate awareness of the importance of risk assessment and relevant legislation
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
Students will be required to access online resources. Use of personal computers or University facilities will enable this.