Rhedir gan School of Law
20 Credyd neu 10 Credyd ECTS
Semester 1 a 2
Trefnydd: Mr Stephen Clear
Legal Skills is a core module on all LLB law programmes. It is also one of the recognised Qualifying Law Degree (QLD) modules, meaning it is compulsory that you pass the module for professional exemption from the academic stages of qualifying as a barrister or solicitor. On this module you will practice and develop your research, writing, problem-solving, and presentation and communication skills. You will also have exposure to guest speakers from both academia and those working within legal practice (including solicitors and alumni).
The first semester of Legal Skills is concerned with skills development, including effective note taking; case note writing; article critiquing; research and citations skills, and essay writing. The first semester will also cover employability and careers development. Information literacy skills are a key component of the early part of the module, with specific training in effective use of legal databases.
The module aims for semester one are: 1. To introduce students to practical legal study skills. 2. To afford students an opportunity to develop their legal reasoning skills. 3. To afford students an opportunity to enhance their legal analysis skills. 4. To enhance students commercial awareness and employability.
The second semester of Legal Skills is concerned with mooting (advocacy skills), and revision/exam techniques. Semester two explores mooting research skills and methods, assessments based on legal argument (in terms of content and structure), analysis of problem questions, as well as the critical application of primary and secondary sources of law, and advocacy skills.
The module aims for semester two are: 5. To provide students with an introduction to mooting (through workshops, lectures and small group activities). 6. To enable students to gain a further in-depth understanding of the legal system of England and Wales (so as to complement student’s tuition in the Introduction to Law module). 7. To afford students the opportunity to practically apply the laws learnt in Public Law to scenario, problem question style assessments. 8. To discuss revision and exam preparation techniques.
The module introduces learners to practical legal study skills such as: effective note-taking, legal essay writing, legal problem solving, presenting an argument, mooting, team work, effective time management, and revision and exam techniques. Students will be guided in the effective application of these skills to: 1) researching the law (using the law library, on-line sources, finding legislation, finding cases etc.); 2) reading the law (reading legislation, reading law reports, reading academic legal literature etc.); and 3) constructing, analysing, evaluating and defending written and oral legal arguments.
Work which, while predominantly correct in its presentation of material, contains a significant level of error and is therefore not entirely reliable.
Work which is comprehensive, containing material relevant to the task (no significant irrelevancy), correctly referenced, clear, logical and critical but may need further work to improve construction and presentation.
Work which is outstanding, containing all the material relevant to the task (no irrelevancy), accurately referenced, clear, logical, critical with little room for improvement.
Effectively communicate legal information both orally and by writing.
Undertake independent research.
Analyse and apply information delivered in lectures and seminars to resolve problems.
Present reasoned oral legal argument.
Find, use and identify sources of legal information.
|PRAWF DEALLTWRIAETH||Semester One Multiple Choice Test||40|
|CYFLWYNIAD UNIGOL||Semester Two E-Moot and Skeleton Argument||60|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Weekly lectures including review sessions twice a semester.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Mentora - Gallu cefnogi, helpu, arwain, ysbrydoli ac/neu hyfforddi eraill
- Rheloaeth - Gallu defnyddio, cydlynu a rheoli adnoddau (dynol, ffisegol ac/neu ariannol)
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
- Arweinyddiaeth - Gallu arwain a rheoli, datblygu cynlluniau gweithredu ac amcanion, cynnig arweiniad a chyfarwyddyd i eraill, ac ymdopi â'r pwysau sy'n gysylltiedig ag awdurdod o'r fath
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Develop the ability to interpret legal rules and employ techniques of legal reasoning competently and efficiently in order to offer a range of solutions and conclusions to actual or hypothetical complex legal problems, all supported by relevant academic literature, jurisprudence and legislative research. Such solutions will be clearly communicated and presented
- Develop the ability to analyse complex legal issues, set against the background of the political, social, economic or cultural contexts in which they may arise
- Develop those skills which are necessary for scholarship and research in legal subjects, namely the ability to identify relevant primary and secondary legal sources and to retrieve accurate legal information using paper and electronic sources
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/sxl-1115.html
Rhagofynion a Chydofynion
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- N2M1: BA Business Management and Law year 1 (BA/BML)
- NM11: BA Business and Law year 1 (BA/BUSALAW)
- NM1B: BA Business and Law (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 1 (BA/BUSLAW1)
- M115: LLB Law with English Literature (International Experience) year 1 (LLB/ILEL)
- M100: LLB Law year 1 (LLB/L)
- M11B: LLB Law (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 1 (LLB/L1)
- M1N4: LLB Law with Acc and Finance year 1 (LLB/LAF)
- M1NB: LLB Law with Accounting & Finance (4yr with Incorp Found) year 1 (LLB/LAF1)
- M1N1: LLB Law with Business Studies year 1 (LLB/LBS)
- MN1B: LLB Law with Business (4year with Incorporated Foundation) year 1 (LLB/LBS1)
- MT12: LLB Law with Chinese (International Experience) year 1 (LLB/LCIE)
- M1W1: LLB Law with Creative Media Writing year 1 (LLB/LCMW)
- M1W2: LLB Law with Creative Media Writing (International Exp) year 1 (LLB/LCMWI)
- M116: LLB Law with French (European Experience) year 1 (LLB/LFE)
- M117: LLB Law with German (European Experience) year 1 (LLB/LGE)
- M1V1: LLB Law with History year 1 (LLB/LH)
- M1V2: LLB Law with History (International Experience) year 1 (LLB/LHI)
- M102: LLB Law (International Experience) year 1 (LLB/LI)
- M103: LLB Law with Accounting & Finance (Intl Exp) year 1 (LLB/LIA)
- M104: LLB Law with Business Studies (International Experience) year 1 (LLB/LIB)
- M108: LLB Law with Social Policy (International Experience) year 1 (LLB/LIF)
- M110: LLB Law with Welsh (International Experience) year 1 (LLB/LIH)
- M113: LLB Law with Criminology (Intl Exp) year 1 (LLB/LIK)
- M118: LLB Law with Italian (European Experience) year 1 (LLB/LITE)
- M1P1: LLB Law with Media Studies year 1 (LLB/LMS)
- M1P2: LLB Law with Media Studies (International Experience) year 1 (LLB/LMSI)
- M1L2: LLB Law with Politics year 1 (LLB/LPOL)
- M1V5: LLB Law with Philosophy and Religion year 1 (LLB/LPR)
- M1C8: LLB Law with Psychology year 1 (LLB/LPSY)
- M119: LLB Law with Spanish (European Experience) year 1 (LLB/LSE)
- M1L4: LLB Law with Social Policy year 1 (LLB/LSP)
- M1LB: LLB Law with Social Policy (4 yr with Incorp Foundation) year 1 (LLB/LSP1)
- M1Q5: LLB Law with Welsh year 1 (LLB/LW)
- M1M9: LLB Law with Criminology year 1 (LLB/LWCR)
- M1MB: LLB Law with Criminology (4 yr with Incorporated Foundation) year 1 (LLB/LWCR1)
- M1MP: LLB Law with Criminology with Placement Year year 1 (LLB/LWCRP)
- M1QK: LLB Law with English Literature year 1 (LLB/LWEL)