Issues in Media and Journalism
Rhedir gan School of Arts, Culture and Language
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Prof Andrew McStay
This module critically examines issues, theories and perspectives central to the study of Media and Journalism. From Media, it will examine the origins of media, the impact of media on society, the affordances of a range of media forms, interrelationships between technology and society, political economy, identity and community, production, dissemination and ownership, communication and interaction, privacy, and the ideological implications of networked mediated culture in a co-creative media age. From Journalism, it will examine the development of the public sphere, core journalistic ideals, forms, practices and the extent to which they have been compromised by the forces of professionalism, propaganda, public relations and market pressures. It also examines the consequences for our trust in journalism. Throughout, the course will draw on the perspectives of critical theorists, political-economists and sociologists, applying these perspectives to important examples within Media and Journalism.
The origins of professional media and journalism are indivisible, not least because the origins of professional media lies in news. This in turn necessitated advertising revenue and media distribution channels. To explore this, the course starts with a consideration of the impact of media on society in general, before moving to a more specialised focus on journalism. In the first half of the course, it will examine key media and critical theorists (such as McLuhan, Foucault and Adorno), along with foundational approaches to media (such as audience theory and political-economy). In the second half of the course, it examines issues more specific to journalism but that are also of primary relevance to understanding the media industry. This latter half presents and critiques the ideal of the public sphere. It then examines some of the forces that constitute the public sphere’s corruption – namely propaganda, public relations, advertising, market pressures and the influence of media affordances (such as those found in social media). Overall, taking a range of analytical perspectives (critical-theoretical, political-economic and sociological), a range of media and journalistic ideals, forms and practices will be critically analysed and evaluated.
Work at this level (D and D+) will demonstrate adequate writing skills, a limited amount of background research, some attempt to grapple with concepts and a degree of success in using these to understand required topics. At threshold level mistakes will have been made in comprehension and thereafter application.
C- i C+
Work at this level (C- to C+) will demonstrate above average writing skills, background research and conceptual understanding and a degree of success in using these to understand issues in media and journalism.
At this level of A- and above students will display mature appreciation of media and journalism, its multifaceted nature, theoretical and ethical implications, and will have made an attempt to synthesize this understanding (to compare and contrast, and arrive at an argument). Students will also be able to make rich connections between theory and the real world so to advance understanding of either/both theory or/and appreciation of a practical media and journalism matter.
At B- to B+ a greater attempt to engage with ideas will have been made. Mistakes may still have been made but the student will have read more broadly and understood their examples in greater depth (whether this be a law, company, technology or other aspect of media and journalism).
Demonstrate an understanding of how technologies and media culture developed from the inception of mass media until today, and how these developments can be contextualised historically.
Demonstrate an understanding of key terms and concepts relating to mass media, media culture and digital media.
Demonstrate a good grasp of key thinkers informing the disciplines of media and journalism.
Demonstrate an awareness of issues of production/design and reception, ownership, access, interactivity, and the ideological implications of mediated culture.
Understand a range of critical-theoretical, political-economic and sociological approaches to studying media and journalism
see Module Guide for essay question
|CYFLWYNIAD GRWP||Leading a seminar either on own or in small groups||30.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
The lecture format will be employed, although the lecturer will be sensitive to need for high levels of interaction so as to ensure comprehension.
One-to one tutorial for advice on assignment and other course comprehension matters.
These will primarily be student-led so as to encourage engagement and maintain weekly enthusiasm.
This will involve reading course materials and beyond. The latter will encompass academic sources, but also industry reports, policy documents and relevant news sources to be advised by the lecturer.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Mentora - Gallu cefnogi, helpu, arwain, ysbrydoli ac/neu hyfforddi eraill
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
- Arweinyddiaeth - Gallu arwain a rheoli, datblygu cynlluniau gweithredu ac amcanion, cynnig arweiniad a chyfarwyddyd i eraill, ac ymdopi â'r pwysau sy'n gysylltiedig ag awdurdod o'r fath
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- An understanding of creative and critical processes, and of the wide range of skills inherent in creative writing. (NAWE Creative Writing Benchmark Statement 3.1).
- Awareness of how different social and cultural contexts affect the nature of language and meaning (English Benchmark Statement 3.2).
- The ability to synthesize information from various sources, choosing and applying appropriate concepts and methods (English Benchmark Statement 3.3).
- Ability to formulate and solve problems, anticipate and accommodate change, and work within contexts of ambiguity, uncertainty and unfamiliarity (NAWE Creative Writing Benchmark Statement 3.2; English Benchmark Statement 3.3).
- Ability to engage in processes of drafting and redrafting texts to achieve clarity of expression and an appropriate style. (English Benchmark Statement 3.3; NAWE Creative Writing Benchmark Statement 3.2).
- Ability to gather information, analyse, interpret and discuss different viewpoints (NAWE Creative Writing Benchmark Statement 3.2; English Benchmark Statement 3.3).
- Information technology (IT) skills broadly understood and the ability to access, work with and evaluate electronic resources (NAWE Creative Writing Benchmark Statement 3.2; English Benchmark Statement 3.3).
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- W3P3: BA Astudiaethau'r Cyfr & Cherdd year 1 (BA/ACC)
- WP83: BA Media Studies & Creative Wrtng year 1 (BA/CWMS)
- 065C: BA English Literature with Journalism year 1 (BA/ELJ)
- PQ53: BA English Language & Journalism year 1 (BA/ELJO)
- R1P5: BA French with Journalism year 1 (BA/FRJO)
- R2P5: BA German with Journalism year 1 (BA/GJO)
- V1P5: BA History with Journalism year 1 (BA/HJ)
- 8S11: BA History with Journalism (with International Experience) year 1 (BA/HJIE)
- PP53: BA Journalism and Media Studies year 1 (BA/JMS)
- PP5B: BA Journalism & Media Studies (4yr with Incorp Foundation) year 1 (BA/JMS1)
- 3HPQ: BA Media Studies and English Literature year 1 (BA/MEN)
- P306: BA Media Studies year 1 (BA/MS)
- P31B: BA Media Studies (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 1 (BA/MS1)
- P30F: BA Media Studies [with Foundation Year] year 1 (BA/MSF)
- 8U76: BA Media Studies (with International Experience) year 1 (BA/MSIE)
- PW33: BA Media Studies and Music year 1 (BA/MSMUS)
- LP33: BA Media Studies and Sociology year 1 (BA/MSSOC)
- W3P5: BA Music with Journalism year 1 (BA/MUSJ)
- P3W9: BA Professional Writing and Media year 1 (BA/PWM)
- R4P5: BA Spanish with Journalism year 1 (BA/SPJO)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- T103: BA Chinese and Creative Studies year 1 (BA/CHCS)
- WPQ0: BA Creative Studies year 1 (BA/CST)
- WPQB: BA Creative Studies (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 1 (BA/CST1)
- WQ93: BA Creative Stds & English Lang. year 1 (BA/CSTEL)
- WR91: BA French and Creative Studies year 1 (BA/CSTFR)
- WR92: BA German and Creative Studies year 1 (BA/CSTG)
- WR93: BA Italian and Creative Studies year 1 (BA/CSTITAL)
- WW93: BA Creative Studies and Music year 1 (BA/CSTMUS)
- WR94: BA Spanish & Creative Studies year 1 (BA/CSTSP)
- Q3P3: BA English Lang with Media Stds year 1 (BA/ELMS)
- W620: BA Film Studies year 1 (BA/FLM)
- W62B: BA Film Studies (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 1 (BA/FLM1)
- 2W89: BA Film Studies (with International Experience) year 1 (BA/FSIE)
- P3R1: BA Media Studies with French year 1 (BA/MSFR)
- P3R2: BA Media Studies with German year 1 (BA/MSG)
- P3R3: BA Media Studies with Italian year 1 (BA/MSIT)
- P3R4: BA Media Studies with Spanish year 1 (BA/MSSP)
- P3R5: BA Media Stud with Spanish (with International Experience) year 1 (BA/MSSPIE)
- P3WL: BA Media Studies with Theatre and Performance year 1 (BA/MSTP)
- P3WB: BA Media Stud with Theatre & Perform (4yr with Incorp Found) year 1 (BA/MSTP1)
- W6W8: BA Professional Writing & Film year 1 (BA/PWF)
- P3W9: BA Professional Writing and Media year 1 (BA/PWM)
- M1P1: LLB Law with Media Studies year 1 (LLB/LMS)
- M1P2: LLB Law with Media Studies (International Experience) year 1 (LLB/LMSI)