Interactive Sound and Music
Rhedir gan School of Arts, Culture and Language
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Prof Andrew Lewis
This module focuses on working creatively with sound and music in the context of interactive technologies. It covered a wide range of interactions with sound, including basic sound design, sound in interactive games environments, music for live musicians with electronics, performance and control interfaces, sound installations and generative (automatic) music. It offers a blend of creative, practical, artistic and technological studies, across a range of disciplines, and provides a platform for more specialised study in the future.
The module involves practical experience in a range of interactive sound applications. Students will be encouraged to think creatively about the possibilities of interactivity in sound and music, and to work on producing their own examples. A variety of technological tools will be used, including Max, Jitter, Processing and Unity, as well as more basic sound editing and processing tools. No prior experience of these is required, but those with experience will be able build on what they already know.
Course content may include: sound design principles and tools; live processing of musical performance; performance and control interfaces; sound and image interaction; sound and music interaction in Games; sound installations; generative (automatic) music.
- Comprehensive knowledge, understanding and synthesis of key principles
- Comprehensive knowledge, understanding and synthesis of main topics
- Excellent facility with different technological tools in combination
- Excellent creative and imaginative thinking and application
- Excellent independent thinking
- Excellent problem solving skills
- High quality of presentation with excellent attention to detail
- Good knowledge, understanding and synthesis of key principles
- Good knowledge, understanding and synthesis of main topics
- Good facility with different technological tools in combination
- Well developed creative and imaginative thinking and application
- Well developed independent thinking
- Good problem solving skills
- Good quality of presentation with excellent attention to detail
C- i C+
- Basic knowledge, understanding and synthesis of key principles
- Basic knowledge, understanding and synthesis of main topics
- Basic facility with different technological tools in combination
- Limited creative and imaginative thinking and application
- Limited independent thinking
- Basic problem solving skills
- Basic presentation with some lapses of detail
- Some knowledge, understanding and synthesis of key principles
- Some knowledge, understanding and synthesis of main topics
- Some facility with different technological tools in combination
- Some evidence of creative and imaginative thinking and application
- Some evidence of independent thinking
- Rudimentary problem solving skills
- Very basic presentation with significant lapses of detail
to experiment with different tools of interactive sound and music
to design and evaluate different forms of sound and music interaction
to appraise and select principles of sound and music interaction
to create interactive sound and music experiences
to choose and employ appropriate technologies for specific interactive projects
to design and develop creative forms of sound and music interaction
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Ymwybyddiaeth o ddiogelwch - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch amgylchedd a hyder o ran cadw at reoliadau iechyd a diogelwch
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- The ability to synthesize information from various sources, choosing and applying appropriate concepts and methods (English Benchmark Statement 3.3).
- Ability to formulate and solve problems, anticipate and accommodate change, and work within contexts of ambiguity, uncertainty and unfamiliarity (NAWE Creative Writing Benchmark Statement 3.2; English Benchmark Statement 3.3).
- Information technology (IT) skills broadly understood and the ability to access, work with and evaluate electronic resources (NAWE Creative Writing Benchmark Statement 3.2; English Benchmark Statement 3.3).
- Creative skills – conception, elaboration, adaptation, presentation, collaboration, preservation
- Technological skills – digital capture, digital expression, digital innovation
- Intellectual skills shared with other disciplines – research and exploration, reasoning and logic, understanding, critical judgement, assimilation and application
- Skills of communication and interaction – oral and written communication, public presentation, team-working and collaboration, awareness of professional protocols, sensitivity, ICT skills, etc.
- Skills of personal management – self-motivation, self-critical awareness, independence, entrepreneurship and employment skills, time management and reliability, organisation, etc.
- Enhanced powers of imagination and creativity (4.17)